kid Christmas ?

aanderson

My oldest is in the 6th grade and he still believes. I tried sitting him down this year and telling him the truth, but he said I was lying so I could take all the credit for the gifts. :lmao: He said I was jealous...I couldn't believe it.

He hasn't said too much more about it...but I know he still believes but we aren't writing the letters and talking about it as much either. I just worry that the kids at school will start making fun of him...then again...I like that he is still so young!!!

My boy is in 5th grade and has asked several times in the last few weeks if Santa is real? He says mom tell me the truth is Santa real? I've always used the line "If you don't believe, you don't get any presents". So now he asks well if I don't believe I still get presents from you right just not Santa? I almost feel bad for lieing to him, a couple times when he's asked I have hesitated and almost told himthe truth?

What do you think, is time to sit him down and tell him and let him help me with the santa for the girls ???

You were in my shoes last year... I had a talk and did not tell him but had him explain to me what he thought... how do the presents get here? who has told him other wise? how can we afford all this stuff?

Once we had the talk and I gave him answers which I knew would steer him back in line I was OK... if he just says "Dad - I know!" then the gig is up and yes, he becomes a helper.

This year he started asking around September and he said "Dad - I know"... we had a good talk and I told him that Christmas is about the spirit in your heart, that Santa will always be real. It was one of the hardest things I had to do...

I think this is one of the reasons why I did not get in the Christmas mood until late - Last weekend he was REALLY excited about setting up the tree, and decorations. He spearheaded the whole getting the tree setup and everything else - a completly different vibe you know? Seeing that change made me feel better - but I know now that little boy is slowly turning into a young man and it saddens me...

tiltedangel

I shall speak in code for this one:

What age did your kids/you move on from the imaginative being of Christmas?

2nd grader with issues here. :bawl:

our daughter was about 6 or so and was suspicious when santa had the same wrapping paper that mommy and daddy had...but i never actually said the words there is no santa....something magical in believing about him no matter what your age...

tiltedangel

My oldest is in the 6th grade and he still believes. I tried sitting him down this year and telling him the truth, but he said I was lying so I could take all the credit for the gifts. :lmao: He said I was jealous...I couldn't believe it.

He hasn't said too much more about it...but I know he still believes but we aren't writing the letters and talking about it as much either. I just worry that the kids at school will start making fun of him...then again...I like that he is still so young!!!

ummmm mom? kids believe that if they don't believe in santa then they don't get as many gifts...truth be known the school kids are making fun of you for believing that he still believes...my son was great at snowing me....:killingme
but it keeps the spirit of christmas going...my kids are all grown now and i still give them gifts from santa..

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
My kids were asking about going to the mall...what they don't know is we are going to Grandma's house for dinner tomorrow and a certain guest will be showing up as a surprise.

I'm excited because even though I know who this visitor will be under the white beard, (my Dad's best friend from childhood) I don't know that my kids have ever met him. If they have it was very brief. That was always the thing that spoiled it for me, when I recognized the person in the costume.

kalmd

My son was in 5th grade when he asked. I told him the truth. I think that's about the right age for them to know. I think 2nd grade it too young to not believe in Santa. I would do what you can to keep her believing for a few more years.

mainman

Set Trippin
Shorty (2nd grade) told me a girl in his class told him the other day that mommy and daddy are santa... He told me she shouldn't lie that way, santa won't bring her anything...:howdy: He's still safe for now...

mamissa3

My almost 6 year old asked the other day if mom and dad get her presents to. I told her no way Santa and his elves do everything. My 7 year old has not asked yet at all and the others are to little. I hope i can prolong it as long as possible

aanderson

ummmm mom? kids believe that if they don't believe in santa then they don't get as many gifts...truth be known the school kids are making fun of you for believing that he still believes...my son was great at snowing me....:killingme
but it keeps the spirit of christmas going...my kids are all grown now and i still give them gifts from santa..

You're probably right...I could see him totally fooling me into thinking he really believed just to get the gifts. We also have a 15 month old so the whole process has to start over anyways...ugh!!1

jenbengen

Watch it
My son was in 5th grade when he asked. I told him the truth. I think that's about the right age for them to know. I think 2nd grade it too young to not believe in Santa. I would do what you can to keep her believing for a few more years.

That's what I think. I'm going to step it up a notch until Christmas and revive her spirit. After Christmas is over, if she STILL doesn't buy it all, then I'll reconsider. She's just a baby, darn it!

I really think somebody at school is influencing her. :boxing:

SAB

Shirley
I have twin girls that are 11 and they still believe. I just tell them that Santa is as real as you would like him to be. When they say that other kids don't believe, I telll them that the other kids won't have a very merry Christmas, will they? I'll have to come clean soon but at least I'm not outright lying.

E

(((echo)))

I still believe in santa...
although the bastard never brings me what i want :ohwell:

Arista

I guess I was about 8 or 9 when I asked my mom. She told me very pointedly that Santa wasn't a real, physical person, but Santa was the embodiment of the Christmas spirit... the spirit of giving, so when you stop believing in Santa, you lose your Christmas spirit. Worked well enough for me. I guess that's why I still believe in Santa. :shrug:

EmnJoe

nunya bidnis
My son knows that if he "doesn't beleive he doesn't receive". I don't care that he might know or not. When he asked that is what he was told. If there is no Santa then the gifts will deplete to not enough for him so he just doesn't talk about it.
My mom did the same with us. You just don't talk about it after you tell the kid that and they usually get the hint and stop asking.

TexasSunflower

Support Our Troops!
I shall speak in code for this one:

What age did your kids/you move on from the imaginative being of Christmas?

2nd grader with issues here. :bawl:

I have a 9 y/o third grader that still believes. He's questioned it occasionally but we have managed to keep him believing! Now our 17 y/o on the other hand quit believing when he was 7. He got up one Christmas eve while we were putting all of his toys together that Santa had brought him and he started crying saying I knew my friends were right I just didn't want to believe them! So we made him promise not to tell his little brother and he promised he wouldn't! So far he's held up to his end of the deal! I think anyway!

Last edited: