Kindle Fire

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Anybody have the Fire? I'm looking into getting one (for comics) and Western books, they have an app that reads CBZ, CBR files called ComiCat for graphic novels.

Anybody have the Fire? I'm looking into getting one (for comics) and Western books, they have an app that reads CBZ, CBR files called ComiCat for graphic novels.

I have one. If you're looking just for an economical device to read those things and maybe do a little browsing / game playing, it might be a good fit.

It's not a high quality product however. It's a bit buggy, and slow, and the touch screen isn't very responsive / precise. The more I use it the more faults I find with its design and the functionality of the software. It's way more difficult than it need be to do simple (and oft-repeated) things, e.g. changing the volume. For Amazon, the goal was to produce the product as cheaply as was feasible so that they could get it in as many people's hands as possible (without losing too much money in the process) so as to have a convenient portal through which to sell them content and other stuff. In that regard, I think it's a pretty good device. It is what it is - it isn't trying to be high quality or full functioning / very flexible, it's trying to be affordable and thus much owned and used.

My roommate and I both own a Kindle Fire and an iPad, and we have much the same sense of the Kindle Fire. If you've used an iPad (or perhaps some other well-performing tablet, e.g., an Asus) a lot, you'll likely notice significant deficiencies and limitations with the Kindle Fire. If you haven't, you'll probably find the Kindle Fire to be really cool and plenty adequate. That's what I've found to be the responses when letting friends use my Kindle Fire and/or iPad.

At any rate, if what you mostly want to do is read various content, the Kindle Fire is probably as much as, or more than, you need. The other things that it can do will just be a bonus. One positive aspect of the Kindle Fire - and something that's going to be important to its success, as well as making the experience better for the consumer / user - is the seamless integration of Cloud storage for (some) content. They did a pretty good job with that.

ylexot

Super Genius

ylexot

Super Genius
Do you mean the prices will come down soon?

The prices of tablets will be coming down soon. Not sure if Amazon and B&N will reduce their prices as well, but which would you rather have, a $250 tablet or a $200/250 e-reader+?