Kings on NBC

Pete

Repete
I rarely watch regular broadcast TV anymore especially since they stopped trying to be creative and went "reality". Last night by accident the TV was on NBC and they were pushing their new show "Kings" so I decided to watch it.......OK the truth is Boy left the remote way over on the coffee table and I didn't want to go get it.

So I watched "Kings" and it was friggin terrible. Butterfly the national emblem, a war where "modern" soldiers line up in trenches WW I style, a "Court" that seems to be a mixture of Tudor England, Wall street and mind control cult run from a strip mall in New Jersey.

How could a network that broadcast well written entertaining programs make such a cataclysmic waste of airwaves? It was almost laughable.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I watched Disney Channel all night - Hannah Montana, Sonny With a Chance, Wizards of Waverly, Suite Life. Very entertaining and didn't annoy me one single time. There was also a movie on called Ice Princess, and I enjoyed it as well.

:cartwheel

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
How could a network that broadcast well written entertaining programs make such a cataclysmic waste of airwaves? It was almost laughable.

It was either that or another lame reality show.
Let's watch fat people lose weight.
Lets plop folks into a foreign country and call it a race.
Let's dangle fame and fortune in front of aspiring singers and watch the melt downs.

All the writers left town

... and Planet Earth was on Discovery

Bozznc

110 degrees and shivering
Pete, I have to disagree with you on Kings. I found the acting refreshing, and the premise was brilliant. A modern day take on the rise of King David? How is that NOT going to be interesting?

The trench warfare was somewhat of a stretch for modern warfare, but it represented the Israelites vs the Philistines quite well. I didn't understand at first why the story felt so familiar, not "beat a dead horse" familiar, but apple pie familiar. King Silas plays Saul, a young man named David Shepherd goes toe to toe with an Iron Giant named Goliath..

All in all, a remarkably up to date and refreshing take on what was already a thrilling story.

I rarely watch regular broadcast TV anymore especially since they stopped trying to be creative and went "reality". Last night by accident the TV was on NBC and they were pushing their new show "Kings" so I decided to watch it.......OK the truth is Boy left the remote way over on the coffee table and I didn't want to go get it.

So I watched "Kings" and it was friggin terrible. Butterfly the national emblem, a war where "modern" soldiers line up in trenches WW I style, a "Court" that seems to be a mixture of Tudor England, Wall street and mind control cult run from a strip mall in New Jersey.

vbailey

vbailey
Pete, I have to disagree with you on Kings. I found the acting refreshing, and the premise was brilliant. A modern day take on the rise of King David? How is that NOT going to be interesting?

The trench warfare was somewhat of a stretch for modern warfare, but it represented the Israelites vs the Philistines quite well. I didn't understand at first why the story felt so familiar, not "beat a dead horse" familiar, but apple pie familiar. King Silas plays Saul, a young man named David Shepherd goes toe to toe with an Iron Giant named Goliath..

All in all, a remarkably up to date and refreshing take on what was already a thrilling story.

Wow! you must know the bible very well....I kept thinking "Is this a Christian Movie"? Something about it felt that way to me but I was not real sure.....
Thanks for sharing......

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

:lol: they STOLE a Bible story?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
"House" 4 episode mini marathon on USA every Sunday night.:yay: The only time I watch network tv is to catch parts of a race, golf and football.

Vince

Stopped watching the major networks a long time ago due to reality TV. Reality TV sucks. Might watch CSI or NCIS, but that's about it.

Bozznc

110 degrees and shivering
I think that's what I like about Kings. Taking an Old Testament/Hebrew legend and treating it like this is reminiscent of all the Oedipal and Homeresque storylines out there, and it's refreshing to see the Bible treated as it has the potential to be; One of the most riveting and exciting collections of cultural and historical stories ever assembled.

Whether you believe in the Bible as "Word of GOD" or just enjoy an outstanding fictional novel, It makes for scintillating and thought provoking reading. Kudos to NBC for giving these cultural gems a bit of daylight!

:lol: they STOLE a Bible story?

vbailey

vbailey
I think that's what I like about Kings. Taking an Old Testament/Hebrew legend and treating it like this is reminiscent of all the Oedipal and Homeresque storylines out there, and it's refreshing to see the Bible treated as it has the potential to be; One of the most riveting and exciting collections of cultural and historical stories ever assembled.

Whether you believe in the Bible as "Word of GOD" or just enjoy an outstanding fictional novel, It makes for scintillating and thought provoking reading. Kudos to NBC for giving these cultural gems a bit of daylight!

I believe the Bible to be the "Word of God".

Pete

Repete

The combination of a modern day setting and an ancient story was completely messy and over the top. It dawned on me what they were doing when I saw GOLIATH neatly painted on the front of the tanks. So much for sublte symbolism. :lol:

give them a few weeks and they will "dirty it up" to make it more viewable.