Kitty afraid of Thunder

Kitkatmom

My just turned 1 y/r old kitty has become increasingly afraid of thunderstorms. I have had cats all my life and I have even worked as a vet tech and have never had any dealing with kitties being afraid. She is not normally skittish so this is very odd to me. Anyone else heard of this?

tazzman

Yea, we have a 3 yr old cat that doesn't not like storms or the wind blowing. She usually hides under a bed or my daughter will wrap her in a blanket and hold her. If she is wandering around the house, she will walk crouched on the floor until she finds a safe spot.

L

luckystar

Just saw an episode of Dog Whisperer recently about training a dog that was afraid of storms that it was all gonna be okay and the world wasn't going to end. It is about dogs, but it may be worth looking back into; maybe converting some of the techniques to match a cat's perspective better. Poor little thing!

L

luckystar

What a pussy.

:lol:

Oh... I've also heard of vets prescribing downers to animals that are scared of storms, so they sleep through it. Not sure I'm really a fan of knocking your pet out every time it thunders. I'd take a good look into cat behavior and training before going to kitty krasher route.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitkatmom

Thanks for all your input. It only started in the last couple of weeks, so I have been observing her. During last nights storms, she ended up IN the couch (tore the fabric underneath the bottom part). My sister's dog takes Valium during bad storms, but I didn't really think a cat would need it. I may have to re-visit that idea in time if she gets any worse. I'm not sure about "training" the cat like in the Dog Whisper. I have watched that episode though I do know how to start. Thanks again!