Knife Sharpening...

JustynSayneBand

Can anyone suggest a quality provider of a knife sharpening service in the Southern By Gawd Merland area? I would like to have my skinning knife sharpened by a professional service, maybe laser. I don't want "Billy Bob from down the road a piece" to do it on his oil stone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwight
www.JustynSayne.com

Email Me At: JustynSayne@somd.net

Last edited:

HunterJJD

get a lanski and take your time and did it yourself

I used to get mine done by a guy that sharpened blades for SMH, but he used a wheel and took a lot off each time, would not have cared but at the time I was using a 400$ Randal knife

HunterJJD said:
get a lanski and take your time and did it yourself

I used to get mine done by a guy that sharpened blades for SMH, but he used a wheel and took a lot off each time, would not have cared but at the time I was using a 400$ Randal knife
I love my Lansky set.

Vince

A set of chock sticks and a steel. I doesn't take long and they come out sharp enough to shave with.

cdsulhoff

JustynSayneBand said:
Can anyone suggest a quality provider of a knife sharpening service in the Southern By Gawd Merland area? I would like to have my skinning knife sharpened by a professional service, maybe laser. I don't want "Billy Bob from down the road a piece" to do it on his oil stone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwight
www.JustynSayne.com

Email Me At: JustynSayne@somd.net

What knives do you have. Reason I ask is that I have Shun's and I was told that my knives should not get dull and need and sharpening. I find that odd but that what they said. And If I need any sharpen that I can send it to them for Free to either replace it or have them sharpen it. I am way to scared to sharpen them myself. They cost me way too much money to screw them up. So I would suggest in calling the manufacture and see if they would sharpen the knives.

JustynSayneBand

cdsulhoff said:
What knives do you have. Reason I ask is that I have Shun's and I was told that my knives should not get dull and need and sharpening. I find that odd but that what they said. And If I need any sharpen that I can send it to them for Free to either replace it or have them sharpen it. I am way to scared to sharpen them myself. They cost me way too much money to screw them up. So I would suggest in calling the manufacture and see if they would sharpen the knives.

Well I started out with Case knives, which shortly became the lead junk in the pile, I'll never buy another Case knife, between fast dulling blades and blades snapping off at the handles, they are good for hanging on the wall, but, not skinning. Right now I have a Schrade Old Timer 1420T, which I have skinned a lot of deer with in the past 5 years that I've had it, and have never had it sharpened, only this year with the last deer I felt it was that time. I can buy a brand new one for about $20.00 now... a lot cheaper than what I paid for mine, but, this knife has acquired a lot of memories and I'd just as soon have it resharpened and keep gettin' up. The engraved notches on the blade have some meaning these days.

However, this does have a factory laser sharpened edge, and I have compared the laser re-sharpening on friends knives and know that's the only way I'd have it done if I were gonna pay someone for it, I've seen and used knives sharpened with chop sticks and bricks and the edges are not pretty, too much like a saw blade for my taste, I like a hot knife through melted butter.

rack'm

Jaded
I have a set of Lanski diamond stones and finish off the edge with a Porcelain stone, it has a mirror finish and is sharper than anything you'd want to mess with.

cdsulhoff

I think I will opt for sending my Knives away to the Manufacture. They will sharpen them for free and if any are messed up they will replace them. I got them a a gift last Christmas. Everyone says that my hubby must really love and trust me to buy me some sharp ass knives.

rack'm

Jaded
:lmao:
cdsulhoff said:
I think I will opt for sending my Knives away to the Manufacture. They will sharpen them for free and if any are messed up they will replace them. I got them a a gift last Christmas. Everyone says that my hubby must really love and trust me to buy me some sharp ass knives.
:lmao:

Nickster

I have an Old Timer knife for skinning and a Gerber. Between the two they have done countless deer beaver coon fox muskrat squirrel snapping turtle and an ocasional apple. I use one of those plastic handheld sharpeners from wal-mart. Before skinning anything I use the sharpener twice and the knifes sre as sharp as the day I bought em.