Know any Morgan stallions in Maryland?

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I agree with others on here. You need to have your mare checked by a vet to make sure she is able to produce a healthy foal. You also should have a recongized trainer of that breed make sure she is what is best for the breed. Then I would suggest looking inton stallions and asking the owners of the stallions if the mix of the two would produce a quality foal. Remember, if there are things about your mare that you don't like make sure the stallion has different qualities that will knock out the mares or atleast try.

I would also look for stallions that are well known even if they are more expensive.

I'm currently looking for a stallion for my mare but I don't plan on breeding her until after congress of 2010 since I will probably be showing in it. I have a list of boys I like and have contacted owners about the stallions. Also, I look for other offspring of the stallions I like and see how they are. I saw a gelding from "These Irons are Hot" and I really liked him. Just remember to take your time and search. There is no reason to rush. And don't breed just to breed make sure there is a purpose to it. Like myself I want to start from the bottom and bring a horse all the way to the top. Also remember it's a lot of time and patients.

I agree, you do have to do the research. And spending the extra money on breeding to a higher quality Stud may be well worth the investment. If the stallion is out of state, and you have to do AI, the vets here are going to charge you the same rate whether you choose a Stallion with a $500 or a $2000 stud fee. BUT you are going to end up with what ever you get. WHICH sometimes happens to be all the bad qualities of both animals, unfortunately?

ooktdoo

If you are looking for more of a "sporty" type morgan the statesmen line is very nice. I've seen a couple eventers and dressage morgans come from those lines. Cleveland Bays are easily my favorite horses to cross breed a high strung horse with. Look into Idle Hour Stud. I used to work there and know the stallions pretty well, the stud fee is on the pricier side but you get is what you pay for. I second everyone else on here though that you must talk with your vet first and make sure your mare will be suitable to breed and that you know what you are in for not just during gestation but during birth and for several years there after.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Flare growing up in Howard County we did many horse judging practices at Lynne Shpak's Statesman Farm Lynne V Shpak | Statesman Farm | Custom Jewelry. She might be able to tell you more about your mares breeding. Several 4-H's had some very nice Lg. Ponies from her Morgan line that did very well at the local and rated hunter shows. Hopefully she will know more about your mares lines and if she would be something worth breeding.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I agree, you do have to do the research. And spending the extra money on breeding to a higher quality Stud may be well worth the investment. If the stallion is out of state, and you have to do AI, the vets here are going to charge you the same rate whether you choose a Stallion with a $500 or a $2000 stud fee. BUT you are going to end up with what ever you get. WHICH sometimes happens to be all the bad qualities of both animals, unfortunately?

choosing the right vet will also help not having any difficulties during pregnancy. personally i wouldnt allow a local vet to breed my mare. you need to go to a proper breeding facility that does it on a regular basis. spending more money is not for everyone but normally it does come with benefits. if you research properly and note each horse bad behaviors and movements you should be able to see if they will be a good match or not. people who breed for quality normally like to see the horse in action before breeding unlike people who want a foal most stallion owners have high standards about mares they breed to.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
choosing the right vet will also help not having any difficulties during pregnancy. personally i wouldnt allow a local vet to breed my mare. you need to go to a proper breeding facility that does it on a regular basis. spending more money is not for everyone but normally it does come with benefits. if you research properly and note each horse bad behaviors and movements you should be able to see if they will be a good match or not. people who breed for quality normally like to see the horse in action before breeding unlike people who want a foal most stallion owners have high standards about mares they breed to.

Thats true, a lot of stallion owners will only breed to a limited number of high quality mares.

fredsaid2

Look into Idle Hour Stud. I used to work there and know the stallions pretty well, the stud fee is on the pricier side but you get is what you pay for.

Horses from that farm went through the Prof Auction this spring in a dispersal sale. They did not sell well. Shame, some were impressive to look at. Guess they weren't what the hunter buyers there were looking for in terms of movement and form o/f. One stallion went for 2k, his stud fee was that or higher. The auctioneer was nearly pleading w/ the crowd to place bids. You may have to do a bit of searching to find who the new owners are now.

lovemyber135

reslly??? lol do it! lol yea she used to own headlight...then sold him fo like a million and 2 dollars...sike not that much but he was an wxpensive litte guy lol

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
What is her pedigree?

I know some of the morgan pedigrees having grown up with morgans. Since she was a park horse she has had some scarey training that most horses have a hard time getting past.

Bring me a copy of her pedigree on Sunday and i can take a peek at it. I can also tell you what the sires were like if I recoganize the names.

Is she a Lippit(shorter and stockier) or is she tall and leggy?

I can bring it, but do you know where to find me? O r how do I find you? Shes short and stocky.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
We've tried breeding before, this hefty AQHA mare, which had AWSOME barrel blood lines, her great-grandfather was easy jet I believe. We breed to a horse from the Zippo Pine Bar bloodlines (that horses brother or something like that), we had the mare evaluated by a vet, she said go for it. Well, it ended up she took, the vet came out to give her her shots, but lost it within a few months (we didnt really notice). We decided not to re-breed (the mare was lame, what do you expect for an auction horse?), too much time and money, so instead of selling the breeding we just got his 2 yo out of the same stallion.We sold the mare (more like gave her away, we just didnt get along with her), then went and picked up the filly. And thats how we got Reba "Impressive lil Diva". Thats been over 2 years ago now. Sadly Reba's mother died (I found her bloodlines online though), and the owner lost the paper work for the stallion, so we have no papers on Reba (the filly).

So we're ready to try again, but not too soon, we would wait untill next spring.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I can bring it, but do you know where to find me? O r how do I find you? Shes short and stocky.

I have talked to you before at shows.

She is probably a lippit. Once I see her pedigree it will give me a clue.

The lippits are very nice old style morgans. They resemble Figure the originial morgan.

kmbetit

K Betit
A Lippitt Morgan is one that can trace it's line directly back to government lines of the horses bred by Robert Lippitt Knight. Harmony, while able to trace her lines back to Justin Morgan i'm sure, looks very little like a Lippitt Morgan. She an older style (before the Morgan was diluted with Saddlebred) or sport Morgan. I would suggest speaking to someone at one of the barns mentioned. Statesman Farm has an incredible reputation for putting out nice sport horses. Amy Sargent, of Veritas Farm, would also be an excellent source. From what I understand, it is VERY likely that she already knows the mare, many of us know her from Ruth and Lees. Amy is close and will certainly be able to guide you in the right direction. Leitha would also be a great contact (and also knows the mare), but sadly she is leaving later this week :-(.

Cowgirl

Another thing to keep in mind is the economy. Are you going to sell the foal? Do you think there's a demand for Morgans right now? If you can't sell her, that's another mouth to feed, 4 more hooves to trim, more vet bills, etc.