Lack of Services

Are So. Marylanders getting the services we need/desire for our high taxes?

• Total voters

Bavarian

For the garbage, it's the "IF" part that's wrong - like water and sewer that should be a part of what you pay for in your taxes.

I'm not saying that the firefighters or EMTs are not trained, passionate, nor worthy of praise - they are all of these things for sure. I'm saying, when I call, I have to hope someone is there, because we're not paying anyone to be there. When I call and my problem is truly life-threatening, I have to hope the qualified EMT hears as well as the ambulance people, because most of the time they're not the same people.

And, let's be serious - they are paid. They're paid with the schooling, the tax breaks, etc. How many "calls" (or, drive-bys right as the call goes out) does a f/f have to make to meet his/her quota of calls to get the tax break? It actually works out to a reasonable hourly wage.
Disagree:
Why should all pay for the few who have METCOM? I have well and septic. I take trash to transfer station rather then pay to have it picked up. My choice. I don't think we need more services here, maybe less.

This_person

Disagree:
Why should all pay for the few who have METCOM? I have well and septic. I take trash to transfer station rather then pay to have it picked up. My choice. I don't think we need more services here, maybe less.
I apparently wasn't clear - I didn't mean everyone should pay for everyone else's water use. But, a clean water/sewer system should be available that can handle the load for those that want it - clean water and proper waste management is essential for everyone's health when we're so closely packed in here.

However, I have no idea how we could have LESS services :lol:.

OldHillcrestGuy

I do volunteer and yes it was my choice, Ive run as many as 700 calls in one year and have been in the top 4 for runs at my station for 12 years now. I do it for the community and not for the tax breaks although it is a nice perk. I started late in life volunteering so Ill be nearly 75 when I will be intitled to my LOSAP check, that is after having 25yrs of service to be eligible, and thats 25yrs of meeting the 50 credits.
Its true alot of people may just get by with 50 credits but if your active and run calls its easy, for some of the older members who dont run it can get pretty hard.
Your 50 credits cant all come from calls, think its 25 or 30 calls for the year can be used toward your 50, the others have to come from meetings,training or holding a office or chair a committee.
Should paid fire and ems service come to Southern Maryland (Ems already in Charles) taxes are surely going to go up to pay for these services, they will have to hire many people to fill these jobs. You might end up also having to pay for the ambulance that shows up at your door like in Charles if its career staffed.
With the growing population coming to So.Md. paid fire and ems will surely be in the future many of the people moving here assume that the fire service is paid now, cause they are coming from a area that is.
Peoples life styles have changed so much in todays world they don't have the time to volunteer their time and the fire service is a prime example.
It requires many hours of training to get certified and people just dont have it. People moving into So.Md. very, very few of them join a local fire department, for the most part most new member are people who already have someone in the fire service in the county.
Thats my 2cents.:howdy:

MMDad

Lem Putt
I just think we pay more than enough property tax and state tax to justify someone who does it professionally. At least in PF, Leonardtown, California, Lex Park....... Maybe not in Ridge? Valley Lee? Maybe volunteer is good enough for there.

What are the current volunteer stations in PF, Leonardtown, California, and Lexington Park not providing that would justify this huge expense?

Do you think we just "should" have professionals, or is it based on any need? Is it to use up all of the "extra" tax money we have sitting around?

Before you start reforming the fire/EMS system, you really should educate yourself a little bit. There just isn't a good argument to put professionals in the places you mentioned, but there is a great argument for putting professionals in Ridge, Valley Lee, and a few others.

This_person

I do volunteer and yes it was my choice, Ive run as many as 700 calls in one year and have been in the top 4 for runs at my station for 12 years now. I do it for the community and not for the tax breaks although it is a nice perk. I started late in life volunteering so Ill be nearly 75 when I will be intitled to my LOSAP check, that is after having 25yrs of service to be eligible, and thats 25yrs of meeting the 50 credits.
Its true alot of people may just get by with 50 credits but if your active and run calls its easy, for some of the older members who dont run it can get pretty hard.
Your 50 credits cant all come from calls, think its 25 or 30 calls for the year can be used toward your 50, the others have to come from meetings,training or holding a office or chair a committee.
Should paid fire and ems service come to Southern Maryland (Ems already in Charles) taxes are surely going to go up to pay for these services, they will have to hire many people to fill these jobs. You might end up also having to pay for the ambulance that shows up at your door like in Charles if its career staffed.
With the growing population coming to So.Md. paid fire and ems will surely be in the future many of the people moving here assume that the fire service is paid now, cause they are coming from a area that is.
Peoples life styles have changed so much in todays world they don't have the time to volunteer their time and the fire service is a prime example.
It requires many hours of training to get certified and people just dont have it. People moving into So.Md. very, very few of them join a local fire department, for the most part most new member are people who already have someone in the fire service in the county.
Thats my 2cents.:howdy:
I also thank you for your service.

One of my complaints, as a transplant to Southern Maryland, is that the people arriving do not take part in local issues/politics. Many people are here for a quick buck, and on their way out again, slashing and burning their way through. This is my way of agreeing with your final sentences.

You point out that my claim of being able to get by on the minimum required is true. You also point out my claim that many people work long, hard hours to earn too little recomenpse is true.

I disagree that taxes will NEED to go up, though I agree they will. There's already tax money going for the services. The tax money used in the county should be redistributed, not increased by more taxes.

This_person

Before you start reforming the fire/EMS system, you really should educate yourself a little bit. There just isn't a good argument to put professionals in the places you mentioned, but there is a great argument for putting professionals in Ridge, Valley Lee, and a few others.
I'm not sure what education you think I lack, but your take is interesting.

I'm basing my argument on the sheer number of calls that each station makes. Generally, the station that makes very few calls are covered (on a risk basis) well by volunteers, but the stations that make more and more calls require paid services. Paid services are coming (as Old Hillcrest Guy states), but I'm curious as to your reasoning for the little used stations having more than volunteers....

MMDad

Lem Putt
Generally, the station that makes very few calls are covered (on a risk basis) well by volunteers, but the stations that make more and more calls require paid services. Paid services are coming (as Old Hillcrest Guy states), but I'm curious as to your reasoning for the little used stations having more than volunteers....

You have that backwards. Bay District usually makes it out the door within 15 seconds of a call. Valley Lee and Ridge are lucky if they can make it out in four minutes.

Where would professionals benefit most?

This_person

You have that backwards. Bay District usually makes it out the door within 15 seconds of a call. Valley Lee and Ridge are lucky if they can make it out in four minutes.

Where would professionals benefit most?
15 seconds? Come on, now. Firefighter one does not require you to be suited up that fast. The doors take longer than that to open.

But, that's not the point. The point is the risk probability. How many calls/year does Ridge make? Bay District? The risk factor is significantly higher for the high call stations, thus the professional services thought. And, this would also provide the proper compensation for those that do the most work (the high call stations, again). Plus, the total number of staff could be reduced significantly, greatly reducing the training costs, turnout gear, tax abatement, etc. The increase in costs could be offset by these decreases in costs, as well as the decrease in insurance costs for the county. The still probable increase in tax base could be partially offset by the decrease in insurance costs to area homes and businesses (most insurances give lower rates for areas with paid services than volunteer services - I wonder why).

Again, why do people get so upset by this concept - paying for services that are now volunteered?

Toxick

Splat
I live right inside the main gate, so pretty much all "alternate routes" are the same for me time wise.

Which main gate? The one down by Drum Point, or the one by the Post Office?

I guess it depends on which direction you're coming from too - if you're coming from Solomons, you can turn off where Calvert Cafe is (or used to be 100 years ago) and shoot up that way. Or if you're coming from Prince Frederick, you can turn off 2&4 at the exit that goes to the Back Gate. Either way, you'll skip the massive clog at the Lusby Town Center.

One really nice thing about that light at FastStop is that the "<-" actually stays lit long enough to clear out a lot of that congestion each cycle.

It would be nice if they just opened up that 10 foot space between the Appeal Community Center and Rt 2 & 4 to some traffic.

On second thought - I suppose that little access road would clog up faster than a fat guy's toilet.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
15 seconds? Come on, now. Firefighter one does not require you to be suited up that fast. The doors take longer than that to open.

But, that's not the point. The point is the risk probability. How many calls/year does Ridge make? Bay District? The risk factor is significantly higher for the high call stations, thus the professional services thought. And, this would also provide the proper compensation for those that do the most work (the high call stations, again). Plus, the total number of staff could be reduced significantly, greatly reducing the training costs, turnout gear, tax abatement, etc. The increase in costs could be offset by these decreases in costs, as well as the decrease in insurance costs for the county. The still probable increase in tax base could be partially offset by the decrease in insurance costs to area homes and businesses (most insurances give lower rates for areas with paid services than volunteer services - I wonder why).

Again, why do people get so upset by this concept - paying for services that are now volunteered?
What would be the average base salary for firefighters and EMTs? How many would be needed to cover the various counties to a level as good or better than volunteers do it now? What ancillary expenses would be incurred by switching to paid (benefits, retirement, etc.)?

This_person

What would be the average base salary for firefighters and EMTs? How many would be needed to cover the various counties to a level as good or better than volunteers do it now? What ancillary expenses would be incurred by switching to paid (benefits, retirement, etc.)?
Great questions for County Commissioners. My guess would be that you could use our county police officers' pay as a guide - compare what municipalities throughout the east pay their cops, and what we pay ours, and use that as the guide for what they pay their firefighters/EMTs, and what we could pay ours. Use similar answer for numbers and coverages.

Or, were you just trying to point something out, and I missed it?

OldHillcrestGuy

I'm not sure what education you think I lack, but your take is interesting.

I'm basing my argument on the sheer number of calls that each station makes. Generally, the station that makes very few calls are covered (on a risk basis) well by volunteers, but the stations that make more and more calls require paid services. Paid services are coming (as Old Hillcrest Guy states), but I'm curious as to your reasoning for the little used stations having more than volunteers....

Yes the stations that run the least calls, at least in St Mary's (Ridge,Valley Lee and Avenue) are very good at getting out, the other ones around St Marys and the other 2 counties which have a higher call volume maybe not quite as good, although Calvert with the exception of one station is excellent getting out just about anytime of day.
Charles the stations are getting out, but run a much higher call volume then the other 2 counties, the Waldorf area is growing in leaps and bounds and Waldorf is one of the top running volunteer stations in the United States. Waldorf or the area near Waldorf could proably use another station or two because of call volume, but with no new people volunteering eventually the county is going to have to build and staff these stations and its going to cost someone the taxpayer some money.
A new ambulance is $200,00 and new ladder truck $700,000, a heavy duty rescue squad can run $600,000, just a plain fire engine 'pumper' can be $400,000.
Look what property taxes are in PG where all these services are provided compared to down here, If anyone thinks they wont go up in Southern Maryland your wrong.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Great questions for County Commissioners. My guess would be that you could use our county police officers' pay as a guide - compare what municipalities throughout the east pay their cops, and what we pay ours, and use that as the guide for what they pay their firefighters/EMTs, and what we could pay ours. Use similar answer for numbers and coverages.

Or, were you just trying to point something out, and I missed it?
No, not trying to point out anything ambiguous, I truly don't know what the burden in dollars would be for 24/7 coverage.

Bavarian

I also thank you for your service.

One of my complaints, as a transplant to Southern Maryland, is that the people arriving do not take part in local issues/politics. Many people are here for a quick buck, and on their way out again, slashing and burning their way through. This is my way of agreeing with your final sentences.

You point out that my claim of being able to get by on the minimum required is true. You also point out my claim that many people work long, hard hours to earn too little recomenpse is true.

I disagree that taxes will NEED to go up, though I agree they will. There's already tax money going for the services. The tax money used in the county should be redistributed, not increased by more taxes.
People moving to the Land of Pleasant Living should not be slashing and burning. If you want more services, live in a city.

This_person

People moving to the Land of Pleasant Living should not be slashing and burning.
I'm not sure where you're talking about :lol:, but here we agree. That's my complaint about most other transplants.
If you want more services, live in a city.
Look around you. The locals have lured so many people here so quickly, selling their lands off at huge profits to the detriment of the ones they left behind, that we've become as populated as a small city/town. Yet, we're run like the good ol' boy network will still work. If you don't like what your area has become, move to an area like this one used to be.