Land for sale? (Huntingtown area)

JMG32

Wife recently separated from the Navy and we are looking to settle in the northern part of Huntingtown area and would like to purchase some land to build a house. Have explored all the options on sites like Zillow, etc, though there aren't many on there. Would be interested in purchasing 2-3 acres of usable land (i.e. not forest retention area etc). Have some other preferences but don't want to sound picky.

TIA

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Forget Zillow. You're going to have to actually go to a realty office. Even then that will be a crapshoot. Most of the buildable land in Huntingtown is already part of a larger planned development, part of a working farm and is in Ag preservation.

JMG32

Forget Zillow. You're going to have to actually go to a realty office. Even then that will be a crapshoot. Most of the buildable land in Huntingtown is already part of a larger planned development, part of a working farm and is in Ag preservation.

Thanks, yeah, that’s why I figured I’d give this a shot. Maybe find someone whose cousin’s niece’s sister has a couple acres they’d be willing to sell.

officeguy

Just drive down the roads, at times there are signs. Land sells slowly and many sellers of land don't put it on MLS. Go ask around whether someone has unencumbered land to sell. Occasionally there is Ag property that someone platted and percd prior to the crash. They may not be actively marketing it, but if a buyer comes around they would sell.

JMG32

Just drive down the roads, at times there are signs. Land sells slowly and many sellers of land don't put it on MLS. Go ask around whether someone has unencumbered land to sell. Occasionally there is Ag property that someone platted and percd prior to the crash. They may not be actively marketing it, but if a buyer comes around they would sell.

Hey, thanks. I've actually been thinking of looking at the county gis maps and looking at the tax assessments to see who owns some larger plots and firing off some letters, explaining our situation and asking if there is interest in selling 2-3 acres. It's a long shot to say the least. And not sure how difficult it is to get agricultural land rezoned for residential. Maybe impossible.

Last edited:

officeguy

Hey, thanks. I've actually been thinking of looking at the county gis maps and looking at the tax assessments to see who owns some larger plots and firing off some letters, explaining our situation and asking if there is interest in selling 2-3 acres. It's a long shot to say the least. And not sure how difficult it is to get agricultural land rezoned for residential. Maybe impossible.

That may work.
As for someone 'selling 2-3 acres', with farm properties there are some rules that they can only be subdivided X times per generation unless the parcel goes to a direct relative. Once something has been subdivided I believe 5 times, no further subdivsion can occur. So for many farms it is a one shot deal, they can only sell off one parcel.

On the zoning, I am not familiar with that area. 'Ag exemption' is just a tax designation and it doesn't preclude you from building on the land if the zoning allows for development (as opposed to a perpetual conservation easement which permanently precludes development).

Much of what looks like Ag land is in 'Rural Conservation' zoning which allows for low density, e.g. 1 dwelling unit per 3 or 10 acres.
Then of course there is the whole perc issue. If you buy raw land, even if it has the correct zoning, access to a road etc. you still have to get the health department approval. Calvert is a pile of glacial gravel, so it shouldn't be a problem to perc, but there are some areas where you have to get one of those newfangled BAT septics due to proximity to water etc.

Lots of moving parts, and all those uncertainties are the reason why there is such a premium on a piece of dirt sold as a 'lot' vs. 'land'.

GregV814

there is a wooded lot for sale in the 4900 block of HUNTINGTOWN ROAD, near the Kings Landing Road....

JMG32

That may work.
As for someone 'selling 2-3 acres', with farm properties there are some rules that they can only be subdivided X times per generation unless the parcel goes to a direct relative. Once something has been subdivided I believe 5 times, no further subdivsion can occur. So for many farms it is a one shot deal, they can only sell off one parcel.

On the zoning, I am not familiar with that area. 'Ag exemption' is just a tax designation and it doesn't preclude you from building on the land if the zoning allows for development (as opposed to a perpetual conservation easement which permanently precludes development).

Much of what looks like Ag land is in 'Rural Conservation' zoning which allows for low density, e.g. 1 dwelling unit per 3 or 10 acres.
Then of course there is the whole perc issue. If you buy raw land, even if it has the correct zoning, access to a road etc. you still have to get the health department approval. Calvert is a pile of glacial gravel, so it shouldn't be a problem to perc, but there are some areas where you have to get one of those newfangled BAT septics due to proximity to water etc.

Lots of moving parts, and all those uncertainties are the reason why there is such a premium on a piece of dirt sold as a 'lot' vs. 'land'.

Yes, all the zoning stuff makes my head spin. I've read over the restrictions for rural conservation district and don't get it at all. You can subdivide if this but not that unless this and this but not if that and that. Some lots I've looked at purchasing looked fantastic. Nice wooded 5 acre lot, then you go look at the recorded plat from the county and see that only 1 acre is actually available to use.

I've identified 12 lots whose owners I'll contact. The smallest is 70+ acres; largest is 600+. So we'll see. I'm shooting for the huge lots so maybe they'll be more likely to not miss a couple acres. The most likely scenario is that every letter will end up in the trash, but maybe I'll be able to tug on someone's heart strings.

JMG32

there is a wooded lot for sale in the 4900 block of HUNTINGTOWN ROAD, near the Kings Landing Road....

Hey, thanks! I think I know the lot you're talking about. It's a 1 acre foreclosure lot. We actually stopped by to look at that one yesterday. It's in consideration, but 1 acre is a bit smaller than we were looking for. Not ruling it out at this moment though.

officeguy

Yes, all the zoning stuff makes my head spin. I've read over the restrictions for rural conservation district and don't get it at all. You can subdivide if this but not that unless this and this but not if that and that. Some lots I've looked at purchasing looked fantastic. Nice wooded 5 acre lot, then you go look at the recorded plat from the county and see that only 1 acre is actually available to use.

Lol. Yeah like that.

As for 'only one acre useable', that's normal for Ag property. That's your 'homesite' and the part of the property that gets assessed as residential. The rest of the land is taxed as 'Ag' if you can fulfill certain criteria:
  • you grow a crop that technically could fetch you a revenue of $2000/year (total). Can be tricky with smaller parcels, that's where you see peach and wine orchards.
  • if you have trees you put them under management with the forest service. They come out every three years and give you a 'forest management plan'. They tell you which invasive trees to cut, where you are 'overstocked' etc.

If you have a 10 acre lot without Ag exemption, the assessor may look at your humble abode and assess it as a palacial estate.

officeguy

Hey, thanks! I think I know the lot you're talking about. It's a 1 acre foreclosure lot. We actually stopped by to look at that one yesterday. It's in consideration, but 1 acre is a bit smaller than we were looking for. Not ruling it out at this moment though.

These days, with a 1 acre lot on a septic, things have to really line up perfectly for this to work. The septic easement typically has to be 10,000sf. With an acre at 43,000sf, roughly a quarter of your lot can't be used for anything. Between building restriction lines, grades, driveway access and where the actual perc sites are, it becomes a game of chess to place a building site on a 1 acre lot.

JMG32

These days, with a 1 acre lot on a septic, things have to really line up perfectly for this to work. The septic easement typically has to be 10,000sf. With an acre at 43,000sf, roughly a quarter of your lot can't be used for anything. Between building restriction lines, grades, driveway access and where the actual perc sites are, it becomes a game of chess to place a building site on a 1 acre lot.

Yep. We had looked at a 5 acre lot, which didn't work out for other reasons, but the site itself looked fantastic until I saw the plat. The builder who owned the lot said the area within the building restriction lines was less than an acre. We are currently looking at another 3 acre lot that has no restrictions, but the septic placement is a bugaboo. When we looked at the site in person, we identified what would seem like the perfect location for a house. Then we saw the plat and that's exactly where the septic field was placed for the previous perc. Since that perc is expired, I don't know if they could perc a different location. There's plenty of space to do it somewhere else. My guess is they did it there for a reason.

So complicated. My sister and her husband are looking to buy some land down in South Carolina. Every lot is no covenants, no restrictions. If you buy 5 acres, you pretty much have the entire 5 acres to do whatever you want.

JMG32

I'm hoping the one with the 650 acre lot will be like "whatever, he wants to buy 0.4% of our lot, let's sell it to him."

My wife thinks I'm nuts, by the way.

officeguy

Yep. We had looked at a 5 acre lot, which didn't work out for other reasons, but the site itself looked fantastic until I saw the plat. The builder who owned the lot said the area within the building restriction lines was less than an acre. We are currently looking at another 3 acre lot that has no restrictions, but the septic placement is a bugaboo. When we looked at the site in person, we identified what would seem like the perfect location for a house. Then we saw the plat and that's exactly where the septic field was placed for the previous perc. Since that perc is expired, I don't know if they could perc a different location. There's plenty of space to do it somewhere else. My guess is they did it there for a reason.

When I was looking for a rural lot, I ran into this quite often. The reality is, around here all the nice lots are already built up, whats available now are sloppy seconds.

Keep in mind though that the drain fields dont have to be downstream from the house. While this makes it overall easier, there is little downside to pumping effluent to wherever on the lot you need it. Chances are, the percs per placed there because that is the geologic formation that will perc. You can try to perc other sites, just depends on how much money you have to spend. You can also employ the services of a engineer to come up with a system that works with the site. There are mounds and filtration pre-treatment systems etc. that give you other options than a classic pit-o-gravel.

So complicated. My sister and her husband are looking to buy some land down in South Carolina. Every lot is no covenants, no restrictions. If you buy 5 acres, you pretty much have the entire 5 acres to do whatever you want.

Well, there are downsides to this 'do whatever you want' aspect. On a 5 acre lot, if your neighbor decides to expand his collection of old shipping containers, it'll affect your property and you have little recourse. If I am in 'do whatever you want' territory, I want to have 40 acres and a clear firing field to cover the road that leads into the compound ;-)

officeguy

I'm hoping the one with the 650 acre lot will be like "whatever, he wants to buy 0.4% of our lot, let's sell it to him."

My wife thinks I'm nuts, by the way.

This may well be one of those farms that is not subdividable at this point. Cousin Bobby subdivided off that lot to pay his gambling debt in '64 and now its a legacy farm.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Keep in mind though that the drain fields dont have to be downstream from the house.
Our septic tank and field is in the front yard, well is in the backyard.
We have a pump for the basement bathroom that pumps the waste up to the septic tank plumbing. The other bathrooms are gravity fed.

officeguy

Our septic tank and field is in the front yard, well is in the backyard.
We have a pump for the basement bathroom that pumps the waste up to the septic tank plumbing. The other bathrooms are gravity fed.

That's a macerator pump to move raw sewage to the septic tank.

What I am talking about is to have the septic tanks downstream from the house. Next to the tanks is a small pit with a manhole cover and a effluent pump. It pumps the discharge from the second tank and moves it to the drainfields. Ideally, you want to have the drain fields next to or downhill from the tanks, but if that can't be done, an effluent pump is a way to connect the two over at times considerable distances. So lets say the only area that percd is on a little knoll or hill in the back of the property, you build your house up front along the road and pump the effluent up to a drainfield on the little knoll. As those pumps move fairly clear water and at a low rate, they tend to last very long. There is an alarm in your basement that goes off if the pump fails or for some other reason the pump cant move the effluent from the second tank.

Chris0nllyn

That's a macerator pump to move raw sewage to the septic tank.

What I am talking about is to have the septic tanks downstream from the house. Next to the tanks is a small pit with a manhole cover and a effluent pump. It pumps the discharge from the second tank and moves it to the drainfields. Ideally, you want to have the drain fields next to or downhill from the tanks, but if that can't be done, an effluent pump is a way to connect the two over at times considerable distances. So lets say the only area that percd is on a little knoll or hill in the back of the property, you build your house up front along the road and pump the effluent up to a drainfield on the little knoll. As those pumps move fairly clear water and at a low rate, they tend to last very long. There is an alarm in your basement that goes off if the pump fails or for some other reason the pump cant move the effluent from the second tank.

That's called a pressure system.

Chris0nllyn

OP, you'll be hard-pressed to find what you're looking for right now. Land is hard to find in that area. Also, what side of Rt.4?

Are you only looking for land, or would you want a home on it?

Almost 4 ac. @ $125k

3 ac @$139.5k

3 acres @ $69k (weird looking lot, IMO and next to a home for sale on 1 acre)

3 acres of run-down old home site @ $155k (sort of close to Rt.4 though)

Go big or go home? 57 acres @ $350k

Almost 18.5 acres with a pond $~300k