Land of fruits and nuts

terbear1225

The only time I use a straw is when I'm out to lunch and get a sandwich that has those toothpicks with the little feathers on them. They make the best blowdarts when used with that discarded straw....

please god, don't let my children find out about this. They already turn straw wrappers into projectiles at every possible opportunity. :lol:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The actual number of straws being used is unclear. Calderon, along with news outlets writing about this issue—from CNN to the San Francisco Chronicle—unfailingly state that Americans use 500 million plastic straws a day, many of them ending up in waterways and oceans. The 500 million figure is often attributed to the National Park Service; it in turn got it from the recycling company Eco-Cycle.

Eco-Cycle is unable to provide any data to back up this number, telling Reason that it was relying on the research of one Milo Cress. Cress—whose Be Straw Free Campaign is hosted on Eco-Cycle's website—tells Reason that he arrived at the 500 million straws a day figure from phone surveys he conducted of straw manufacturers in 2011, when he was just 9 years old.

Cress, who is now 16, says that the National Restaurant Association has endorsed his estimates in private correspondence. This may well be true, but the only references to the 500 million figure on the association's website again points back to the work done by Cress.

More important than how many straws Americans use each day is how many wind up in waterways. We don't know that figure either. The closest we have is the number of straws collected by the California Costal Commission during its annual Coastal Cleanup Day: a total of 835,425 straws and stirrers since 1988, or about 4.1 percent of debris collected.

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/25/california-bill-would-criminalize-restau

I'm calling :bs:

there is no way Americans use 500 Million Straws day ...
the population of the country is only 325 million 1/2 or more of which are not going to a restaurant and order a drink

Eating out behavior in the U.S. - Statistics & Facts

In 2015, food and drink sales in the United States restaurant industry reached 745.61 billion U.S. dollars. This is unsurprising considering almost 19 million people reported visiting a full service restaurant and over 49 million people reported visiting a quick service restaurant in the spring of 2016.

50 million visited 10 or more times in the spring of 2017