Landscaping Companies

black dog

Free America
Are you against teen kids going around the neighborhood cutting grass?

Not in the least bit, but understand that if that kid runs over his foot most likely you will pay and could be sued.
But we aren't talking about kids mowing grass and shoveling snow here.
If you are going to run a business, get the paperwork and pay all the fees required. That tends to put most small businesses on a level playing field.
How do two guys and one truck that mow grass and run there business all on the up and up, pay all there taxes including Social Security on themselves compete with two guys in a truck that pay no taxes and do work for 25% of what everyone running a legitimate business is charging?

Most folks don't understand the risk they take hiring a supposed company that's not insured, workers comp and many other requirements.
Maryland has great home improvement laws, but they hold no weight if you hire someone whos not licensed.

Does the company you work for pay all necessary costs to run a business legally?

black dog

Free America
The thing is, maybe he actually does carry it. I truly don't know. It's not important to me, therefore I never asked.

Maybe he does, I stated earlier, I'm not picking on Nelson.
But you should pay attention to what contractor works on your home, I would guess if and when you get hosed you would start a thread here about this POS contractor you hired. caveat emptor..

Goldenhawk

I understand Black Dog's concerns. They do make sense. Certainly there's a liability issue at stake - and it's true no matter what kind of person visits your property - even your guests. Lawyers seem to find a way to extract money from people, no matter how stupid the reasoning. That is why you should have some kind of liability policy on your house.

But I think the concerns are a bit more relevant for certain business types than others.

For example, I had a company cut down a tree one winter. The tree went the wrong direction and damaged (fortunately only) my gutter. His insurance paid for the gutter, instead of my insurance. Given the risks of tree removal, I'd never hire an unlicensed, uninsured worker.

For home improvements, especially plumbing and electrical and maybe major structural changes, consider that when you eventually sell the house, you're not necessarily free of the consequences of whatever improvements (or problems) you made or caused to be made. If they were poorly done and result in a major incident (fire, flooding, etc.), the new owner can and likely will come after your money. So Maryland's home improvement licensing laws are designed to protect people several layers deep.

But lawn maintenance? That seems a bit less of an issue. If you're willing to save money by accepting the risk that YOUR liability policy will cover you if they screw up, there's not much chance that some day in the future that decision could come back to hurt you.

black dog

Free America
I understand Black Dog's concerns. They do make sense. Certainly there's a liability issue at stake - and it's true no matter what kind of person visits your property - even your guests. Lawyers seem to find a way to extract money from people, no matter how stupid the reasoning. That is why you should have some kind of liability policy on your house.

But I think the concerns are a bit more relevant for certain business types than others.

For example, I had a company cut down a tree one winter. The tree went the wrong direction and damaged (fortunately only) my gutter. His insurance paid for the gutter, instead of my insurance. Given the risks of tree removal, I'd never hire an unlicensed, uninsured worker.

For home improvements, especially plumbing and electrical and maybe major structural changes, consider that when you eventually sell the house, you're not necessarily free of the consequences of whatever improvements (or problems) you made or caused to be made. If they were poorly done and result in a major incident (fire, flooding, etc.), the new owner can and likely will come after your money. So Maryland's home improvement licensing laws are designed to protect people several layers deep.

But lawn maintenance? That seems a bit less of an issue. If you're willing to save money by accepting the risk that YOUR liability policy will cover you if they screw up, there's not much chance that some day in the future that decision could come back to hurt you.

You don't think it will bite you if the simple fact that a man mowing your lawn gets hurt and he's out of work for 6 months to 2 years... And he and his partner have never paid workers comp... In our litigious society It ain't only your home owners that are gonna get sued.