Landscaping in shady areas

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I'm hoping someone can give me a push in the right direction. This month we moved into a (mostly) great house in Va Beach. Up until now, we've always lived in homes that get full sun all day long so we've had lush green lawns and when we want to grow something it usually cooperates. The front yard in this house is completely shaded all day (not even filtered sun) thanks to a beautiful willow oak out front and some other strategically placed trees that aren't in the photo. Seriously, we had a pretty hardy storm a couple weeks ago and our yard and the street in front of our house stayed dry the whole time. We also have a couple crepe myrtles, one of which is kinda scrawny thanks to being right under the oak. As you can see, there is no grass and I think trying to get some to grow would be pretty futile (plus sea duty = I have to mow and no thank you, the back yard is enough). I think there might be a couple of small azaleas under the oak but again, they're not thriving because of all the shade. Most of the other yards in our neighborhood are beautifully landscaped and I think it would be nice/fun to work on the yard a little to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

So what would you do with this? It's a blank slate, obviously and the bricks could be moved around/removed/supplemented. I'm seeing lots of mulch in our future, but would like some suggestions on plants that do well in complete shade (is that even a thing? Should we just put a bunch of cat statues out there and call it a day? :evil:).

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 161
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 150

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
And to show my appreciation, please enjoy this photo of my cat, <strike>Meowmoud Ahmadinejad</strike> Oliver

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 95

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Mulch, stone, or ground cover.
That's what we're aiming for but I'd like to add some bushes or something so it's not a big expanse of mulch or stone. My dad and step-mom have the shady section of their backyard covered in pea gravel and the front is all mulch/foliage but they get full sun.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
There is a little bit of moss in the yard already so I'll bet it's a good spot for it! I do like the look of a lush, mossy yard so I'll have to do some research and see what it involves.

If you do, I'd love to see pics of the progress.

somdfunguy

not impressed
That's what we're aiming for but I'd like to add some bushes or something so it's not a big expanse of mulch or stone. My dad and step-mom have the shady section of their backyard covered in pea gravel and the front is all mulch/foliage but they get full sun.

Hostas, my dear mother's favorites. Darker green ones without the white and cut back the ugly flowering part.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Hostas, my dear mother's favorites. Darker green ones without the white and cut back the ugly flowering part.
Yes, I forgot to mention that my parents are going to bring us a bunch of hostas - they have a ton in their yard and often split them and give them away.

MarieB

I was going to suggest some kind of Japanese maple, but I think they require at least some filtered sun.

Regarding the rock, you can get so many beautiful varieties. When we lived in WA, we bought montana river rock for a portion of our bedding. It was very colorful and added some depth.

I think the Oakleaf Hydrangea does well in shade
See the "Sikes Dwarf" here Hydrangea quercifolia- Oakleaf Hydrangea

General Lee

That front yard is like living in the woods. You have 3 problems I see in the pics..... Shade, sandy soil and that tree will suck up every bit of water/nutrients the other plants will need to thrive.

You may get certain plants to grow, but they probably won't thrive. I don't have any suggestions, just giving you a heads up.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
That front yard is like living in the woods. You have 3 problems I see in the pics..... Shade, sandy soil and that tree will suck up every bit of water/nutrients the other plants will need to thrive.

You may get certain plants to grow, but they probably won't thrive. I don't have any suggestions, just giving you a heads up.
Yeah, maybe we should just stick to mulch, pea gravel and hostas. :lol:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Acuba is a nice shade shrub. Can grow in damn near any soil... :killingme

Planted in straight clay and did very well!!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Acuba is a nice shade shrub. Can grow in damn near any soil... :killingme

Planted in straight clay and did very well!!
Funny, our neighbors have some good size bushes on the side of their house that I really like. I think it's acuba! I've got a good list going - hostas, ferns, acuba and I want to try some hydrangea.

havingfun

Lenten Roses are great in the shade. Look like wild flowers and come back and reseed every year. I have had success with Cone Flowers as well in the shade.

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Funny, our neighbors have some good size bushes on the side of their house that I really like. I think it's acuba! I've got a good list going - hostas, ferns, acuba and I want to try some hydrangea.

Your hydrangea will need some sun and moisture so a dry shady spot may not produce any results. All the other suggestions are good. You can consider some lily turf aka Liriope Spicata as well. I know foxglove will probably grow, and maybe a few other daylilies, but it's highly toxic (especially to critters who like to nibble) so I pulled mine out. Vinca and English Ivy or some other considerations. They will spread out on the ground and cover it. My vinca took a couple of years to take hold though and now they are taking over. :lol: