Large bore shooting

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Speaking of shooting...a buddy of mine started a course with some top-notch long-range experts and managed to ring the steel several times at 1200 yards before the weekend was out. I sooo wish there was a long-distance range around here.

Sorcery

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

That's pretty much how he described it. He said the guys calling the wind and corrections were true wizards...making him realize just how incredibly far he still had to go.

Some of his description:

It's actually mostly position building and wind calls, breathing and trigger was the easy part. At 1200 they worked the correction back into feet and the wind call wound up being 9+ feet for some of the shooters with low BC rounds. The guys @ CVT were fantastic with the wind calls and the little bit I was actually trying to identify had me on info overload. There were 3 different wind patterns across everything past 700ish yards....... It was a HUGE learning curve........

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's pretty much how he described it. He said the guys calling the wind and corrections were true wizards...making him realize just how incredibly far he still had to go.

They were not calling out wind and corrections. They were casting spells.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Speaking of shooting...a buddy of mine started a course with some top-notch long-range experts and managed to ring the steel several times at 1200 yards before the weekend was out. I sooo wish there was a long-distance range around here.

Ride to SHOOT!!

Lets GO!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
3 different wind patterns.

9 feet.

Earth rotation

Tectonic drift

pull of the moon

Sorcery.

LOL. Pretty much so... If I was going to try 1200 yards with my .50 Beowulf, we'd have to use azimuth and elevation numbers, like any other piece of artillery. I'm dying to take my PSL and some match-grade 7.62x54r and start working the longer distances.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
LOL. Pretty much so... If I was going to try 1200 yards with my .50 Beowulf, we'd have to use azimuth and elevation numbers, like any other piece of artillery. I'm dying to take my PSL and some match-grade 7.62x54r and start working the longer distances.

You've seen the video of Miculek hitting steel at 1,000 with his .45, yes?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You've seen the video of Miculek hitting steel at 1,000 with his .45, yes?

I think I have. I've seen several "improbable" shots that were captured on video. One was of an extreme range rifle shot taken by a former sniper that gonged the steel on the first shot. Shooting standing up, off hand.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
mmmm boy. The SO bought me a super nice set of active ear protectors for my birfday. Honeywell Howard Leight's. Freaking amazing. They amplify sound yet totally kill the blast.