Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Option 10

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

awpitt

Main Streeter
...who would be the arbiter of that? :buddies:
Don't know. It's just that I've never been a fan of believing in one human as the dictator of all of my views. In the case of Rush, I agree with him on some things but not all. There are folks out there who would jump off a bridge if Rush told them to.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bet you...

Don't know. It's just that I've never been a fan of believing in one human as the dictator of all of my views. In the case of Rush, I agree with him on some things but not all. There are folks out there who would jump off a bridge if Rush told them to.

...can't find even one.

awpitt

Main Streeter
...can't find even one.
Well, the "jumping off the bridge" thing was an exageration but I do know people who hear what Rush says and take it as fact, just because Rush said it. They don't even bother to research it themselves to double check. As far as they're concerned, if Rush said it, it's fact. No thinking for themselves. Rush thinks for them, with half his brain tied behind his back.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tony...

Well, the "jumping off the bridge" thing was an exageration but I do know people who hear what Rush says and take it as fact, just because Rush said it. They don't even bother to research it themselves to double check. As far as they're concerned, if Rush said it, it's fact. No thinking for themselves. Rush thinks for them, with half his brain tied behind his back.

...is this in some way unique to Limbaugh listeners?

awpitt

Main Streeter
...is this in some way unique to Limbaugh listeners?
Nope. As I said earlier, I've never been a fan of believing in one human as the dictator of all of my views. That goes for any one. There are people on the left who let their views be molded by the left leaning media. I refered to some Rush listeners because he was mentioned in the original posting of this thread.

SamSpade

Lots of people do this. I've heard people claim things they've heard from the pulpit as factual. If they got in an a mass emailing, it's true. If they heard it at work from the boss, it's true. If teacher said it, it's true.

It happens on both sides of the political aisle. I've heard kids claim the electoral college is unconstitutional (because dammit they voted for Gore) because some teacher told them so.

I've EVEN heard Sean Hannity do it, and it makes me cringe. He'll quote something or some bit of data, and I'll think dammit Sean, you're making conservative look bad - that news item is completely messed up, and you just quoted it on air.

Journalists quote each OTHER, without checking stories. Whatever happened to that girl early in the Iraq War? What was her name?

I don't fault people for this. They've either never developed a good BS detector or they just haven't been embarassed often enough by quoting something clearly wrong. I'm amazed at how often I hear something and know it's wrong within seconds - and check it out on either Snopes or some other place.

For what it's worth I don't know a single Rush fan who doesn't double check what he says. They know what being a Berean means.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Isn't it just amazing that if you listen to Rush you're a mind-numb zombie? Just as there are many out there that following nearly everything Rush says to a T, there are just as many that believe that every word that comes out of Rush's mouth is a lie; and most of them don't even listen to him in the first place.

AndyMarquisLIVE

...does the fact that I listen to Rush Limbaugh make you view me differently?
Nope.

I can't stand that big bag of hot air myself, but it doesn't matter to me who listens to what.

I don't care if Obama listens to his pastor. I don't care if Larry listens to Rush. I don't care if Vrai listens to FOX News. I don't care if forestool listens to Air America.

:shrug:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Nope.

I can't stand that big bag of hot air myself, but it doesn't matter to me who listens to what.

I don't care if Obama listens to his pastor. I don't care if Larry listens to Rush. I don't care if Vrai listens to FOX News. I don't care if forestool listens to Air America.

:shrug:

Do you care that I listen to jazz?

Wonder what Larry will say to that

AndyMarquisLIVE

I listen to a little bit of Jazz and big band myself. Chicago actually got me into Jazz a little bit. I saw that live on broadway last year and saw it on DVD a few years back - I love the Jazz sound. Big Band rocks as well, love the music of Sinatra and Dean.

So, no I don't.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I've...

...been around jazz all my life. I have guitars. I play guitars. Some of my best friends listen to jazz. I think that being exposed to jazz doesn't mean that one is automatically...like that. My grandmother, who is female, by the way, would often engage in stereotypes about...those kind of people.

I drew her a picture in colored markers when I was 12 of KISS on stage and that helped us move past the jazz thing. I just don't think it's an issue for me, individually, and my fitness to choose what I am going to listen to or play, but I do think it is a conversation we, as a nation, and as a people, each in our own way, will and should continue to discuss. Like it or not, jazz is an issue in this country. Sticking our heads in the sand and trying to pretend it's not there or will simply just go away is not how we want our children to learn to deal with difficult issues.

PsyOps

Pixelated
...been around jazz all my life. I have guitars. I play guitars. Some of my best friends listen to jazz. I think that being exposed to jazz doesn't mean that one is automatically...like that. My grandmother, who is female, by the way, would often engage in stereotypes about...those kind of people.

I drew her a picture in colored markers when I was 12 of KISS on stage and that helped us move past the jazz thing. I just don't think it's an issue for me, individually, and my fitness to choose what I am going to listen to or play, but I do think it is a conversation we, as a nation, and as a people, each in our own way, will and should continue to discuss. Like it or not, jazz is an issue in this country. Sticking our heads in the sand and trying to pretend it's not there or will simply just go away is not how we want our children to learn to deal with difficult issues.

And that's what Larry would say about that. Thanks Larry.

Jazz is one of the few things that is innately American. Your diatribe proves that America is becoming less and less.... well... American.

Kiss... :rolleyes:

Did you check out my new tune? It's a jazz tune. Play it for your kids. Let's talk about it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes...

Did you check out my new tune? It's a jazz tune. Play it for your kids. Let's talk about it.

...I did check it out and no, if the kids are gonna get into jazz they're gonna have to sneak around and not get caught, just like everybody else has to. Listening to jazz with the kids is like rolling a fatty with them and saying 'ear'.

It's not the done thing.

:buddies:

PsyOps

Pixelated
...I did check it out and no, if the kids are gonna get into jazz they're gonna have to sneak around and not get caught, just like everybody else has to. Listening to jazz with the kids is like rolling a fatty with them and saying 'ear'.

It's not the done thing.

:buddies:

Wow, I must say this does not explain my relationship with my kids. I swear. No closet jazzers in my house. And certainly no fatties. Some of us are just braver than others I suppose.

Thanks for listening.