Larry Gude

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Didn't Johnny join the band in the late '80s, singing in place of his late brother?

Did the band have some sort of premonition when it wrote "That Smell," or is that just part of the legend that has grown around Skynard?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thwwwpppp....

FromTexas said:
Thursday June 1st... Wolf Trap.

No VanZandt, though. They would have to dig him up.

I'd be happier June 20 or 21st.

FWIW, I missed Skynrd when I cared back in 1976(?) at RFK.

Skynrd, Aerosmith, I think Nugent and Nazareth. Caught Theodore the following year at Cap Center with a bunch of new punks from LA opening...Eddie and his brother Alex. Hell of a first concert!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:

Skynrd, Aerosmith, I think Nugent and Nazareth. Caught Theodore the following year at Cap Center with a bunch of new punks from LA opening...Eddie and his brother Alex. Hell of a first concert!

Van Halen must have been amazing on their first national tour. Eddie says when they were setting up at the Capital Centre for that night's show, Nugent asked Eddie's tech if he could play through Eddie's rig. Ted was convinced that Eddie had a secret little box that gave him his sound. The tech said, "Go ahead, but it won't sound the same." Eddie's point was that a guitarist's sound is in the fingers, not in the equipment.

My first concert was Judas Priest in 1984. I saw them four times. Saw Van Halen in 1986, Monsters of Rock in RFK in 1988, Metallica in 1991, Megadeth in 1987, Motley Crue and Whitesnake in 1987, Aerosmith on the Permanent Vacation tour, Primus on the Pork Soda tour, the Public Enemy/Anthrax tour, Fight w/Rob Halford twice, Danny Gatton three times,

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
My first concert was Judas Priest in 1984. I saw them four times. Saw Van Halen in 1986, Monsters of Rock in RFK in 1988, Metallica in 1991, Megadeth in 1987, Motley Crue and Whitesnake in 1987, Aerosmith on the Permanent Vacation tour, Primus on the Pork Soda tour, the Public Enemy/Anthrax tour, Fight w/Rob Halford twice, Danny Gatton three times,
Whippersnapper.

Chicago on 1st tour at Shady Grove (4000 seats), Santana first tour, backstage with Yes at Shady Grove, backstage with Alice Cooper and on stage at Baltimore Civic Center, Pink Floyd first U.S. tour, Moody Blues at the Kennedy Center with all the original members, Grand Funk Railroad, Savoy Brown with my heals propped on the stage at Kim Simmonds' feet (he leaned down and asked me how the show was), Poco free concert at U. of Md., Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company at a night club in Chicago before the first album, Cactus, Black Sabbath, Allman Brothers (Duane was already dead but Dicky Betts was still alive), and the list goes on with lots of repeats over the years.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Tonio said:
Didn't Johnny join the band in the late '80s, singing in place of his late brother?

Did the band have some sort of premonition when it wrote "That Smell," or is that just part of the legend that has grown around Skynard?
Yes, Johnny did replace his brother, and has a great voice. I have seen them the last four or five times they have been in town. That smell was based on a true story, after one of them got in a car accident. Whiskey bottle, brand new car, oak tree in my way............

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
2ndAmendment said:
Whippersnapper.

Chicago on 1st tour at Shady Grove (4000 seats), Santana first tour, backstage with Yes at Shady Grove, backstage with Alice Cooper and on stage at Baltimore Civic Center, Pink Floyd first U.S. tour, Moody Blues at the Kennedy Center with all the original members, Grand Funk Railroad, Savoy Brown with my heals propped on the stage at Kim Simmonds' feet (he leaned down and asked me how the show was), Poco free concert at U. of Md., Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company at a night club in Chicago before the first album, Cactus, Black Sabbath, Allman Brothers (Duane was already dead but Dicky Betts was still alive), and the list goes on with lots of repeats over the years.

Great resume. I'm only 39, so I couldn't have seen those bands in their heydays unless my parents took me when I was in diapers. (Unlikely--their tastes ran to doo-wop and country.)

2A, do you and other original fans of Chicago blame Peter Cetera for turning a good jazz-influenced band into a lame pop band? My understanding is that Cetera took over after the original singer died.

Joplin sounded like she had a lot of passion and fire on stage, even more than on record. I cringed when I heard Faith Hill's emotionless version of "Another Piece of My Heart."

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:
...early on; a phase 90.

You're right that the old boxes like the MXRs had a lot of personality. But there was a lot more to the Eddie sound. He always called his distortion "brown" because it didn't have a lot of harsh upper mids. It sounded huge without being grating. Almost 30 years later, I'm still amazed by the sound of the chords on the first VH album, which I think was partly due to Ted Templeman since none of the band's post-Templeman albums can match that sound.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
All I'm saying is that the 'one' thing...

Tonio said:
You're right that the old boxes like the MXRs had a lot of personality. But there was a lot more to the Eddie sound. He always called his distortion "brown" because it didn't have a lot of harsh upper mids. It sounded huge without being grating. Almost 30 years later, I'm still amazed by the sound of the chords on the first VH album, which I think was partly due to Ted Templeman since none of the band's post-Templeman albums can match that sound.

...if there is to be a 'one' thing would be the phaser. He made his own attenuator so he could drive the amp harder without killing himself. He wound his own pick ups. He did all sorts of particular ####.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ask him about...

Tonio said:
Great resume. I'm only 39, so I couldn't have seen those bands in their heydays unless my parents took me when I was in diapers. (Unlikely--their tastes ran to doo-wop and country.)

...Glen Millers first East Coast gigs and Paganinis "US Italian Invasion" tour.

:lmao:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:
He made his own attenuator so he could drive the amp harder without killing himself. He wound his own pick ups. He did all sorts of particular ####.

Yeah, he was a tinkerer like Les Paul. The attenuator was allegedly a light dimmer switch or a Variac, which probably destroyed a few amps over the years.

Larry, what other guitar sounds turned your head the first time you heard them? Mine include "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica, "The Hellion/Electric Eye" by Judas Priest, "Basket Case" by Green Day, and "Peace of Mind" by Boston. The newer guitar sounds don't appeal to me--too much fuzz and not enough roar.

Trunk Monkey

Defender of the Blonde
Larry Gude said:

Psssssst, the Blond threw away your Nazareth concert T-shirt last week. :whistle:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Les...

..was, to me, more an inventor than tinkerer.

And it was a dimmer switch.

Guitar tones that caught me?

Kiss Alive (Hotter than Hell)

Nugent (Cat Scratch Fever)

Aerosmith (Walk this Way, Sweet Emotion)

Bad Co. (Can't Get Enough of Your love)

ZZ Top (Tush)

Zepplin (Whole lotta love)

Derringer (Hootchie Coo)

The Cars (you might think)

Boston (Rock n roll band)

Scorps (sails of Charron)

Maiden (Phantom)

Tygers of Pan Tang (Take it)

Priest (Exciter)

Kinks (You Really got me)

Eddie (same song!)

AC/DC (Name it)

Ballistic (The Dissection/Sever Chamber)

SRV (Pride and Joy)

Gatton (Elmira st. stuff)

Exodus (Bonded By Blood)

Slayer (SNM)

Met (Whiplash)

Steppenwolf (Hippo Stomp)

Monkees (last train)

Sabbath (Sweet leaf, inot the void)

Chris Duarte (My way down)

Megadeth (Symphony)

Sammy (mas Tequilla)

Montrose (Rock the nation)

That's the ones off the top of my head, the ones that got my attention from across the room.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Scorps (sails of Charron) -- I have a Best of Scorpions Volume 1 with that track on it. But the version of "Speedy's Coming" isn't very well produced. A better version of that song is on a promotional American 45 on RCA that I bought years ago.

Priest (Exciter) -- Check out the reissued "Unleashed in the East" with four extra tracks from those concerts. Have you heard the reunion album "Angel of Retribution"?

Gatton (Elmira st. stuff) -- I have most of Gatton's stuff. "Cruisin' Deuces" has the Sun Records medley that he played at most of his later shows.

Met (Whiplash) -- The band claims to be embarrassed at the lyrics from that album. The production is very raw, in my opinion. I like the Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets production better.

Megadeth (Symphony) -- My favorite tracks by them are "Wake Up Dead" and "Peace Sells." I saw them at Ritchie Coliseum in 1987. They might have been as big as Metallica had Mustaine not gone through so many lineup changes.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tonio said:

2A, do you and other original fans of Chicago blame Peter Cetera for turning a good jazz-influenced band into a lame pop band? My understanding is that Cetera took over after the original singer died.

Joplin sounded like she had a lot of passion and fire on stage, even more than on record. I cringed when I heard Faith Hill's emotionless version of "Another Piece of My Heart."
For whatever reason, Chicago went "commercial". It happens. Got to make a buck and the Top 40 is where the dollars are.

The Chicago concert at Shady Grove was awesome. "Chicago Transit Authority" was out, but Chicago II had not been released (there was not hint of it). The audience was seated and waiting for the band to come out and play. The roadies were setting the equipment. Some guys dressed nicely walked in and went down the isle toward the stage and the audience started clapping until those guys sat down in the front row; just part of the audience. Promoters, I think. Audience sat back down and a general murmur was going around.

The roadies were finishing up on stage. One roadie sat at the drums to adjust the trap set and the others were at the various instruments tuning and stuff. The roadie that was tuning the guitar turned to the microphone and tapped it as I remember, looked back at the other roadies, turned back to the microphone and the roadie, who actually was Terry Kath, said, "Trip-cago" and the "roadies" started playing.

I don't think anyone had seen pictures of the members before. The band was setting their own equipment and had been on stage the whole time as far as I knew. There may have been actual roadies, but I did not notice a change. They played the entire first album "Chicago Transit Authority" without stopping. When they stopped, the audience went nuts. Standing ovation.

When the band started to leave the stage, the audience went ballistic with applause. Kath came back to the microphone and said, "Hey, this only an intermission. We'll be right back." Wow!

I went to the lobby and was just hanging around "enjoying". I saw a guy in an overcoat which was a bit strange and recognized him, Danny Seriphine (I play drums, so I pay attention to drummers.), as one of the band and went over and told him 'nice set" or something like that. He realized that I recognized him and thanked me and scurried off into seclusion.

They called intermission and the audience went back to their seats. Kath went to the microphone and said they like to play something new for us if we didn't mind. Heck, they had played everything from the first album, so they either had to repeat playing tracks from that or play something new. The audience applauded in approval, and he said, "This is our next album coming out, Chicago II" And then they proceeded to play every cut from "Chicago II". The only time they stopped was when Kath broke a string and he had to put on a new string and tune it.

As I remember it, the concert started about 8 and ended after 11. Awesome, truly awesome. Never saw a better one from Chicago after that.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Joplin's voice was already "burning out" from alcohol when I saw her. Coughed after every song; sometimes during songs by truning from mic. Even so, she had a very powerful voice and hit every song with passion.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
Gatton (Elmira st. stuff) -- I have most of Gatton's stuff. "Cruisin' Deuces" has the Sun Records medley that he played at most of his later shows.
Danny Gatton was great. He was a Southern Maryland native.

How about Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Ever hear of Phil Keaggy? He was mainly a session guitarist. My recollection of a Billboard article had something like this. Interviewer: "How does it feel to be the best guitarist in the world?" Jimi Hendrix: "I don't know. You'll have to ask Phil Keaggy." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Keaggy

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
2ndAmendment said:
How about Stevie Ray Vaughan?
I have most of SRV's albums, but I never saw him live. I have a live album he did with his hero, Albert King. SRV's solo on the David Bowie hit "Let's Dance" borrowed a lot from King.

2ndAmendment said:
Ever hear of Phil Keaggy? He was mainly a session guitarist. My recollection of a Billboard article had something like this. Interviewer: "How does it feel to be the best guitarist in the world?" Jimi Hendrix: "I don't know. You'll have to ask Phil Keaggy." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Keaggy

The Hendrix quote has been debunked by Snopes, but I'm familiar with Keaggy mostly through guitar magazines. Never heard his solo work, though. What artists has he supported?