Larry Gude

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:
..Danny was a DC native.

He grew up in D.C., but lived for many years near Newburg in Charles County. I saw him once at the 9:30 Club and twice at the Holiday Inn in Solomons. The 9:30 gig was strange, because the audience included club regulars in their punk regalia. His early album "Redneck Jazz" sounded almost nothing like his later work.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
I have most of SRV's albums, but I never saw him live. I have a live album he did with his hero, Albert King. SRV's solo on the David Bowie hit "Let's Dance" borrowed a lot from King.

The Hendrix quote has been debunked by Snopes, but I'm familiar with Keaggy mostly through guitar magazines. Never heard his solo work, though. What artists has he supported?
I am pretty sure I still have the copy of Billboard somewhere. Snopes can be wrong, too. If I run across it, I will scan and post the portion of the article.

Don't remember who off the top of my head, but as I remember it, he was fairly prolific.

Last edited:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry, the solo acoustic verison of "Man of Constant Sorrow" from "O Brother Where Art Thou" sounds eerily like a foreshadowing of rock music. This is from the scene where the Soggy Bottom Boys and Tommy Johnson record the song at the radio station. The guitar part is based in the blues, but it has the rhythm, power and aggression of hard rock. To me, it wouldn't be a stretch to play it on electric guitar with distortion. Assuming you've heard this version, would an electric version be credible or would that destroy the song?

Last edited: