Las Vegas Motor Speedway Sun, Mar 3, 3:30 PM

calvcopf

OK, so then why would a sponsor spend money on someone that has no realistic chance of winning?
It is much cheaper to sponsor a back marker team (Premium Motorsports, Go FAS Racing, Rick Ware Racing, etc.) than it does for the top teams (Gibbs, Hendrick, Stewart-Hass, etc).
These small teams know they will almost certainly not win or even be in the top 10. They are racing to beat their previous finishes and try to run better than they have in the past. So for these small teams to get a top 20-25 is HUGE for them and they consider it like a win.

calvcopf

NASCAR is getting what they wanted in that respect.

The lack of caution flags didn't give the teams time to work on their cars. I was pleased with the way the #20 car was running in the first stage. It seemed to have the ability to drive back into the top 10 when it got behind. Stages 2 and 3, not so much.

True, it's what NASCAR wanted, still remains to be seen if it is what the drivers and fans want.
The lack of cautions made for an uneventful race. But I did see some passing, which is always a good thing.

gemma_rae

So here's my NASCAR question. I look at the list of drivers for the race when they post them the day before. This helps me to not embarrass myself by picking a driver that isn't in the race. I notice the same people are always at the bottom of the qualifying. Is it the car that can't compete or is it the driver's lack of skill that keeps them at the back of the track?

I remember from the wide world of sports days when they would show a race. You always saw the lead drivers pass and lap some cars multiple times. I guess the only way some of those people will ever win is if there is a big wreck that takes out most of the leaders.
Every driver in a Cup car is a Winner/Champion somewhere. Gander, Xfinity, ARCA, ASA, USAC, K&N, etc. You get a ride, impress someone, move up.

$=speed and speed=More $ To be a car owner you have to start as a millionaire and go up, or down, from there.

Every position pays. Just by making a Cup race you are guaranteed a payout of about $50K for last place. They call those guys "start and parks" because they qualify and start to get paid, then park and save their car for the next race. They used to post the payout by position in the newspaper before NASCAR got secretive about it.

About sponsors, those little teams find local sponsors, like maybe someday SoMD Online may sponsor a Xfinity car at Dover DE just to get there name on the car for minimum $. There was a guy from Brandywine MD named Donnie Neuenberger who was sponsored by U of MD Terrapins a while back.

Then there are some that just love it so much they'll spend their own money.

OldHillcrestGuy

Las Vegas Results
1- Logano WINNER
2- Keselowski
3-Kyle Busch
4- Harvick
5- Kurt Busch

Standing AFTER Las Vegas
HomeDepot20 9+2=11
OldHillCrestGuy 5+6=11
Calvcopf 4+4=8
Stgislander 3+5=8
Monello 2+4=6

Next Race , Sunday 10 March @ Phoenix ISM , 3:30 PM EST
Didn't take me long to catch you. I picked my first 3 drivers by the way they qualified for the pole position and just picked Brad and Joey on a quim. Started watching the race for a couple of minutes early on, and thought heck I forgot to pick Treux Jr. in my top 5.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Every driver in a Cup car is a Winner/Champion somewhere. Gander, Xfinity, ARCA, ASA, USAC, K&N, etc. You get a ride, impress someone, move up.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I have other pro sports on the brain. The NFL would never field a team that had no chance of winning a game. Some teams have been horrible for decades but they always had a chance to win some of the games they played. Heck the Redskins lose a lot of those can't lose games.

In European soccer the 2 worst teams get bumped down to the lower level and the 2 lower level winners get to play in the A league. I like that idea. It makes tanking to get a high draft pick irrelevant. Baseball & hockey have feeder systems. The NBA has the D league or what ever it is they are calling it this year. But imagine the Bowie Baysox getting promoted to the MLB. No way do they have the stadium to field a top tier team.

So did Danika Patrick pay her dues while coming up, or did she take the fast lane to the Cup?

gemma_rae

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I have other pro sports on the brain. The NFL would never field a team that had no chance of winning a game. Some teams have been horrible for decades but they always had a chance to win some of the games they played. Heck the Redskins lose a lot of those can't lose games.

In European soccer the 2 worst teams get bumped down to the lower level and the 2 lower level winners get to play in the A league. I like that idea. It makes tanking to get a high draft pick irrelevant. Baseball & hockey have feeder systems. The NBA has the D league or what ever it is they are calling it this year. But imagine the Bowie Baysox getting promoted to the MLB. No way do they have the stadium to field a top tier team.

So did Danika Patrick pay her dues while coming up, or did she take the fast lane to the Cup?
#1 rule in racing, first you have to find a way finish.

Danica paid her dues to get to NASCAR, but should have stayed in Xfinity a few more years to hone her skills. (See rule #1 above) Yes, she took the fast lane to Cup and it cost her.