Lasik surgery

wittykitty

Can anyone share information about their experience with Lasik surgery? Who was your surgeon? Did your medical insurance cover it, or did your vision plan cover it? Did you acheive 20/20 vision and do you have to wear glasses at all now?

I would appreciate any information you would be willing to share :)

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Lasik Plus in 2001. Dr. Sonny Goel. Went from legally blind (20/400) to 20/20 in 12 minutes. Painless and amazing.

Ins. didn't cover it back then. $3,000.00 with lifetime enhancements.

He always said I'd need reading glasses when I got older and he was right. Late 2008 I need low power readers but only for small font in poor light conditions.

sexy_pants

Can anyone share information about their experience with Lasik surgery? Who was your surgeon? Did your medical insurance cover it, or did your vision plan cover it? Did you acheive 20/20 vision and do you have to wear glasses at all now?

I would appreciate any information you would be willing to share :)

I had lasik done in March of this year and it was one of the best things i have done in my life!! My brother had it done years ago and had also said the same thing and i was like, really?!?!, but he was right!!!!!!

I went to Dr. Whitten in Charlotte Hall and would reccomend him to anyone!! My insurance didn't cover any of it but i did get an extra 1k off bc my mom decided to get it done also. The procedure was $3800, knocked down to $2800 (bc of my mom also doing it) and you have to pay $1500 up front which left me a bill of $1300, which i financed for 12 months through the hospital and it's 0% interest. I do not have glasses and you have check ups with your regular eye doctor every 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, etc to make sure things are moving right along. One of the best feelings for me is waking up in the morning and just rolling and not having to look for my glasses! Good Luck!! Feel free to ask any other questions :):buddies:

nascarchic

Best money ever spent. I had it done at Lasik Plus in Alexandria in 2004. Mine was not covered by insurance; also around $3,000 with lifetime enhancements.

Came out with 20/20 and still have it. I do experience dry eyes more now and I always carry my sunglasses with me. The procedure was a piece of cake; and your family could watch on a tv screen while it was happening haha!

NextJen

Raisin cane
If your vision starts to fail, they will "re-shoot" you.

Dr. Goel did my surgery back in 2005. Within the past year or so I noticed that my distance vision had started getting blurry again. I went recently to Wal-Mart and just got a pair of glasses for distance. However, I also paid for enhancements when I had my original surgery done....I just haven't gone back to Lasik Plus to see about having an enhancement performed. I was wondering if you have had an enhancement done?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I was wondering if you have had an enhancement done?
I did but it was only 6 months or so after and because I had PRK on my left eye (long story). Haven't had any since.

I did notice a clause in the contract that says we have to return to Lasik Plus for yearly check ups in order for the enhancements to be free. I haven't been to an eye Dr. since I had it done.... :lol:

ginwoman

Do it! I did it 15 years ago. Dr.Dodd did it. Sounds like I overpaid compared to what everyone else paid. But, I am so glad I did it. And yes, I need reading glasses now. He told me that would happen. Just because you have this surgery doesn't stop the aging process.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I did but it was only 6 months or so after and because I had PRK on my left eye (long story). Haven't had any since.

I did notice a clause in the contract that says we have to return to Lasik Plus for yearly check ups in order for the enhancements to be free. I haven't been to an eye Dr. since I had it done.... :lol:

Ha! I haven't been back to Lasik Plus since I had mine either and I remember that stipulation. Rats! That's why I went ahead and got some glasses from Wal-Mart, figured I had voided my 'warranty' by not going back for the eye exams. Oh well, time to start aging gracefully (except I'm still gonna use hair color).
:buddies:

jaie

So happy!
I had LASIK done last September. My vision is now 20/20. I also had astigmatism in both eyes.

wittykitty

Lots of great info. Thanks a million. I'm very motivated to have it done, but the thought of the actual procedure scares the buggers outta me!

wittykitty

How soon afterwards did you return to work? Are you able to drive within a couple days?

Were your eyes bandaged for a while afterwards? What was recovery like?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
How soon afterwards did you return to work? Are you able to drive within a couple days?

Were your eyes bandaged for a while afterwards? What was recovery like?
You can go to work the next day. There are no bandages. You can drive the next day. Recovery was a breeze. You wear old people sunglasses for a day then it's life as normal.

12 minutes after he started, he told me to sit up and read the clock on the wall. He started at 3:10 and it was 3:22. I remember distinctly.

I could have driven myself home but they won't allow it.