Law-enforcement are really active this morning!

glhs837

Power with Control
Not so much, the t-bones and speeding. The causes we see are not really caused by that statistically. I dont think. It's mostly failure to yeild and rear ends / off the road caused by distraction. But we dont get much if any cell phone enforcement and little to none failure to yield. Unlike speeding, those offenses are "he said, she said" sort of prosecutions, with a much higher rate of people wanting to fight them in court. Costs money, that does, and takes time. If enforcement is aimed at high vis show the flag, and also aimed at getting officers heads in windows to find "real" bad guys, then of course it's not deterrence.

Your Sat/Sunday morning is show the flag, letting the good 9-5 citizens that the Sheriff loves them and wants them to be safe. Your other enforcement is getting officers into as many windows sniffing for dope as possible in a given hour. Barring to occasional rare effort like the parking lot/blocking the box (2-4 times a year) when citizen calls rise above the background noise, that's what you get.

MiddleGround

Not so much, the t-bones and speeding. The causes we see are not really caused by that statistically. I dont think. It's mostly failure to yeild and rear ends / off the road caused by distraction. But we dont get much if any cell phone enforcement and little to none failure to yield. Unlike speeding, those offenses are "he said, she said" sort of prosecutions, with a much higher rate of people wanting to fight them in court. Costs money, that does, and takes time. If enforcement is aimed at high vis show the flag, and also aimed at getting officers heads in windows to find "real" bad guys, then of course it's not deterrence.

Your Sat/Sunday morning is show the flag, letting the good 9-5 citizens that the Sheriff loves them and wants them to be safe. Your other enforcement is getting officers into as many windows sniffing for dope as possible in a given hour. Barring to occasional rare effort like the parking lot/blocking the box (2-4 times a year) when citizen calls rise above the background noise, that's what you get.

Exactly!

Meanwhile, the continuous red light runners, cell phone users, merge lane racers, red light avoiders (the ones who race behind Wawa, Chipotle, etc.), turn only lane runners, and aggressive lane changers drive our roads each and every day without repercussion. THESE are the people who are the most risk for accidents.

Some blame also falls on poor road design and lack of proper signage (How many of you know that there is NO yield sign for people turning onto SB 235 from St Andrew's Church Road?)

MiddleGround

Your lame attempts at "quasi-doxing" only serve to illustrate what a small, disgusting and eternally frustrated little man you are. And I guarantee you won't "get it".

And yet... you followed ME here to initiate some kind of pathetic harassment :lmao: Coupled with the fact that you are twice as old as me yet act like someone half my age.

By the way... When is that rent due? Can you please keep the talking to a minimum? It gets breezy up here with all the empty space :yay:

EDIT: P.S. Yet another thread derailed by our resident arthritis inflicted man-child :doh:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And yet... you followed ME here to initiate some kind of pathetic harassment :lmao: Coupled with the fact that you are twice as old as me yet act like someone half my age.

By the way... When is that rent due? Can you please keep the talking to a minimum? It gets breezy up here with all the empty space :yay:
Your lame attempts at "quasi-doxing" only serve to illustrate what a small, disgusting and eternally frustrated little man you are. And I guarantee you won't "get it".

Read it again.

MiddleGround

Sorry slow guy..I "followed" you nowhere. I just responded to your lame post.

Gotcha big guy! You made no other comments on this post and just decided to join in and your first post had nothing to do with the OP or anyone else for that matter.

DEFINITELY didn't follow me here :yay: :lmao:

BernieP

Resident PIA
So, you don't think more people would willingly run red lights if they didn't think they might get a ticket? Add to that people speeding even worse down roads like 235 or 301, AND running the red lights more often? I think there would be a huge spike in t-bones at intersections, among other things.
I don't think there are that many people that run a red - WILLINGLY. People will cut the yellow close, but that's not going to result in a T_bone, since there is a delay between the red and green. The people who end up doing the T-bone are more often than not oblivious, drunk or running from the cops.
Nobody in their sane mind risks an accident.
That's a bullshit strawman statement for the redlight cameras and speeding tickets.
Sure, if you have two assclowns drag racing, but more often than not the reason isn't just speed.
That person weaving in and out of traffic, driving reckessly, yes. Just because I do 65 doesn't make me more likely to T-bone someone.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Exactly! Everyone (LEO included) knows what the problem is. No one chooses to go out and fix it!
Maybe you should explain that to Goldenhawk.

My theory on it is this, speeding tickets are a no brainer, it's money in the bank.
Wreckless driving, distracted driving?, well unless there is an collision, it's a matter of judgement, it's subjective.
With a dashcam they could probably prove it, but that would mean following the vehicle for a specific period of time that would satisfy the court.

I would say in 9 out of ten collisions someone is at fault. But unless the officer witnesses some gross bad driving, they are reluctant to get involved.
If they do, they can then be dragged into a civil case as a witness. Actually had that explained to me. The cop more or less said, we don't want to get involved, the insurance company will penalize them.

MiddleGround

Maybe you should explain that to Goldenhawk.

My theory on it is this, speeding tickets are a no brainer, it's money in the bank.
Wreckless driving, distracted driving?, well unless there is an collision, it's a matter of judgement, it's subjective.
With a dashcam they could probably prove it, but that would mean following the vehicle for a specific period of time that would satisfy the court.

I would say in 9 out of ten collisions someone is at fault. But unless the officer witnesses some gross bad driving, they are reluctant to get involved.
If they do, they can then be dragged into a civil case as a witness. Actually had that explained to me. The cop more or less said, we don't want to get involved, the insurance company will penalize them.

I was under the impression that the bolded parts were part of the job description for being local law enforcement :doh:

Grumpy

So, you don't think more people would willingly run red lights if they didn't think they might get a ticket? Add to that people speeding even worse down roads like 235 or 301, AND running the red lights more often? I think there would be a huge spike in t-bones at intersections, among other things.
Come on...The majority of people don't run red lights because they value their life, not the cost of a ticket. I can agree with your speeding point of view but doubt there would be an uptick in red light running.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

But if they gave up on traffic enforcement, you WOULD see a huge change in traffic safety, and it wouldn‘t be pretty.
Do you really think people don't think about their own personal safety while they are driving? Do you really think that most people do not care about having their car crushed, or dented? The majority of the driving population drive in a 'hive like' mode. Whereas, after years of driving experience, are conformable, and able, to, in an amazingly sub-conscious state, navigate the roadways, while at the same time, doing whatever is necessary, (slam on the brakes, quick lane changes, etc.), to protect themselves, and their vehicles, from damage. Your statement just doesn't hold water. Even with the 100% absence of, "law enforcement", the internal self-preservation of individuals would preclude your dire prediction.

glhs837

Power with Control
If I may ...

Do you really think people don't think about their own personal safety while they are driving? Do you really think that most people do not care about having their car crushed, or dented? The majority of the driving population drive in a 'hive like' mode. Whereas, after years of driving experience, are conformable, and able, to, in an amazingly sub-conscious state, navigate the roadways, while at the same time, doing whatever is necessary, (slam on the brakes, quick lane changes, etc.), to protect themselves, and their vehicles, from damage. Your statement just doesn't hold water. Even with the 100% absence of, "law enforcement", the internal self-preservation of individuals would preclude your dire prediction.

That knowledge is the basis for the the recommendation for setting speed limits. You run a survey of speed on a stretch of road, then set the limit to the 85th percentile speed.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

That knowledge is the basis for the the recommendation for setting speed limits. You run a survey of speed on a stretch of road, then set the limit to the 85th percentile speed.
Exactly. People do have a sixth sense regarding road limitations, and their vehicles, and most often times, do not exceed what is the 'natural' limitations of any roadway. A similar feeling to driving by the seat of one's pants.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmmm, dunno know about sixth sense, they barely seem to use two or three at a time when driving. They drive at the speed they feel safe is all. And they will no matter what you set the limit to. The amount of people who basically get a lock on the brake lights ahed of them and do whatever that car is doing is astounding to me.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Some blame also falls on poor road design and lack of proper signage (How many of you know that there is NO yield sign for people turning onto SB 235 from St Andrew's Church Road?)
This is untrue as there is a yield sign there and has been there for quite some time. Most people ignore it because their head is swiveled to look at traffic coming down 235 or just flat out ignore it. I saw it last Thursday and again on Sunday.

This is a screenshot I just took from Google Maps and I circled it in yellow so you can't miss it this time. :)