LawnMower Repair

GoodnessME

Hello Friends.....I'm in need a reliable lawnmower mechanic in Central SMC. I have an OLD Montgomery Ward mower. It seems to have a transmission problem (Cant get it in gear). Does anyone know someone who can give me an estimate? I have heard the name Sam Smith in Loveville....Anyone know him and where he might be located? Thanks for your input.

limblips

PREMO Member
Hello Friends.....I'm in need a reliable lawnmower mechanic in Central SMC. I have an OLD Montgomery Ward mower. It seems to have a transmission problem (Cant get it in gear). Does anyone know someone who can give me an estimate? I have heard the name Sam Smith in Loveville....Anyone know him and where he might be located? Thanks for your input.

Can't help you with a name but a Montgomery Ward mower may not be economically worth a repair. I can offer one DIY you may try (it solved my not getting in to gear issue). There is a shaft that goes in to the transmission/transaxle that the shift linkage attaches to. It gets corroded and won't move. Get some WD40 or equivalent and spray it well. Do it for a day or two and try to work the shift lever. Eventually it will get loose. Those old transmissions are tough, I expect your issue is corrosion.

GoodnessME

Thanks for the "Leads" and "helpful hints".... I will try the WD-40 first. But with it being as old as it I may be looking at having to buy a used or new one.....Thanks again!!!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Unsure what you mean by "Cant get it in gear". Is the shifter stuck in one location? If not it simply might be the drive belt is broken or worn beyond use.

limblips

PREMO Member
Unsure what you mean by "Cant get it in gear". Is the shifter stuck in one location? If not it simply might be the drive belt is broken or worn beyond use.

Good statement. And on the flip side of that, if the idler pulley is stuck (corroded) and is applying tension (slight) on the drive belt and the input pulley to the transmission is even slightly turning, the transmission will not shift. Easy test, try to move the shifter with the motor not running. If it goes in gear, check the pulley. If the shifter won't move at all, go back to the WD-40!