Lens Choices

CraneTaker77

I have a Nikon d50 and already have two lenses for it. A 70-300mm and a 28-55mm(I believe). anyways i'm looking to get another lens for it. I shoot alot of landscape/waterscape pictures and was wondering if anyone has any advice on which way to go. I was maybe considering a 24mm.
Thanks

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
I have a Nikon d50 and already have two lenses for it. A 70-300mm and a 28-55mm(I believe). anyways i'm looking to get another lens for it. I shoot alot of landscape/waterscape pictures and was wondering if anyone has any advice on which way to go. I was maybe considering a 24mm.
Thanks

Cranetaker, I am guessing that the 28-55mm is really the kit lens and its an 18-55mm, which is a pretty good lens for a kits lens. It got pretty good reviews from some photographer. A good starting point would be to know what your looking for in this new lens, and what you not getting out of the lense you have. I can understand the 70-300mm is not going to work well for scenic shots. The 18-55mm should be good though. Why are you thinking of the 24mm? Just trying to get a good idea of what you need and would be happy with.

J

CraneTaker77

Cranetaker, I am guessing that the 28-55mm is really the kit lens and its an 18-55mm, which is a pretty good lens for a kits lens. It got pretty good reviews from some photographer. A good starting point would be to know what your looking for in this new lens, and what you not getting out of the lense you have. I can understand the 70-300mm is not going to work well for scenic shots. The 18-55mm should be good though. Why are you thinking of the 24mm? Just trying to get a good idea of what you need and would be happy with.

J

well i was considering the 24mm because I had went into the Ritz store on saturday with my camera to buy a new polarizer filter, and started looking at the lenses. i told the guy I did alot of scenic, and he recommened the 24mm. he let me try it on my camera, and i must say I liked it. it seemed very wide. I think it runs about a thousand bucks.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Do you mean the 14-24mm? A prime of 24 won't give you anything more than the 18-55mm kit lens.

I have the Nikon 12-24mm and I love the wide angle but you do get lots of distortion and chromatic aberration can be a little bit of a problem too, even though it is ED.

198670821_zaJ5Y-L.jpg

24mm

198675635_abv58-L.jpg

16mm

199110173_Y7QS2-L.jpg

12mm

For an example of distortion check out this one-
213165453_uRvNt-L.jpg

213146351_g6Wfz-L.jpg

The above is the same photo, but one is "corrected" for distortion. I just did a quick correction so you see that the water is now "bent" but the people don't have stretched heads anymore.

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
well i was considering the 24mm because I had went into the Ritz store on saturday with my camera to buy a new polarizer filter, and started looking at the lenses. i told the guy I did alot of scenic, and he recommened the 24mm. he let me try it on my camera, and i must say I liked it. it seemed very wide. I think it runs about a thousand bucks.

Not sure which lens that is that would be that much. A prime Nikon 24mm 2.8 is about $300, and a Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 is about $1580. I would also recommend looking at B&H Photo, they usually beat Ritz's price and only takes a day or two to get your order from them if shipped normal shipping. Also always make sure you get a US version, with US warrenty. YOu don't want a grey market or imported version. They don't come with a warrenty.

J

CraneTaker77

Not sure which lens that is that would be that much. A prime Nikon 24mm 2.8 is about $300, and a Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 is about $1580. I would also recommend looking at B&H Photo, they usually beat Ritz's price and only takes a day or two to get your order from them if shipped normal shipping. Also always make sure you get a US version, with US warrenty. YOu don't want a grey market or imported version. They don't come with a warrenty.

J

i believe it was the 14-24mm. the cheaper version of it was around 500 bucks and that was a tamaron i believe. i'll have to check out b&H

T

TwilightImaging

Phy' if you need anything I'll be living in a tent somewhere in your first posted image...holy smokes!:drool::drool::drool::drool:

T

TwilightImaging

Man, we had a view like that in our back yard in Armonk, NY back in the day...Thornwood road...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TwilightImaging

:mikey:Finally moved...whooo, had to get storage though...not much room...hehe...thanx phy'
my_house.jpg

CraneTaker77

:lmao: You're welcome! I love the open window.:killingme

Thanks guys!! That's the Maligne (pronounced muh-lean)River in Jasper National Park, Canada. We kinda made a trail down there...:whistle:

CraneTaker - the lens may have been the 12-24mm if they still had one in stock. It's right around $1k in price. RitzCamera.com - Search Results

yea thats it. Dang, I think I'm going to go for the less expensive tamaron version. Thanks for all the help guys.