Leonard Hall JNA Closing

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Update...

As The BayNet first reported last Friday, the school’s Board of Trustees decided to close the doors of LHJNA, effective immediately, due to maintenance needs, safety issues, and financial problems.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Update...

As The BayNet first reported last Friday, the school’s Board of Trustees decided to close the doors of LHJNA, effective immediately, due to maintenance needs, safety issues, and financial problems.
oh shoot...that IS bad. I have to wonder what could have been that bad.....surely the county could have lived with the "financial problems" for a bit longer. ;-(

They tucked this in at the end of that article "As it stands today, there are plans in the works to reopen soon. The BayNet will continue to follow this story and bring you updates."

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
oh shoot...that IS bad. I have to wonder what could have been that bad.....surely the county could have lived with the "financial problems" for a bit longer. ;-(

They tucked this in at the end of that article "As it stands today, there are plans in the works to reopen soon. The BayNet will continue to follow this story and bring you updates."
Seems shady to me. I saw some comments on the socials that parents were having to scramble to get their kids into a new school ASAP.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Seems shady to me. I saw some comments on the socials that parents were having to scramble to get their kids into a new school ASAP.
VERY shady. To pull a stunt like that shows a remarkable lack of regard or compassion for the students and their families. I'll be asking the two Mike's directly about what went down here.
I REALLY feel sorry for any parents that find themselves with no choice but to put their kid in to Spring Ridge...the county's official "Ghetto Fighting Ute Training Center".

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
VERY shady. To pull a stunt like that shows a remarkable lack of regard or compassion for the students and their families. I'll be asking the two Mike's directly about what went down here.
I REALLY feel sorry for any parents that find themselves with no choice but to put their kid in to Spring Ridge...the county's official "Ghetto Fighting Ute Training Center".
I'd like to know the truth. I can't imagine the building being left to rot.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
An article from yesterday:

If the County Attorney didn't like the way it was handled something is definitely off since she would have given the Commissioners legal advice on the proper way to proceed (called "her job"). They, or the majority, apparently ignored that advice for her to comment as she did.

The fact that she commented on it in a public meeting, not confining her comment to the Executive Session about it, where it becomes part of the public record also speaks volumes about how it was done and why.

Last edited:

LtownTaxpayer

I'd like to know the truth. I can't imagine the building being left to rot.
I remember when Great Mills Elementary was closed down due to being unsafe for elementary age kiddos. Then it magically transformed into the Charles County Community College's (College of Southern Maryland now) St. Mary's campus. Then it went back to SMCPS for White Oak Center, then Fairlead, Fairlead I, and now the Virtual Academy. I'll bet the school turns into offices for the county government. Government (school or county government) does what it wants.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If the County Attorney didn't like the way it was handled something is definitely off since she would have given the Commissioners legal advice on the proper way to proceed (called "her job"). They, or the majority, apparently ignored that advice for her to comment as she did.
The school corporation shut it down, not the county commissioners.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
What "thing" was that?
Pulled the lease as of June 30 after determining, apparently in executive session which is legal as it deals with contracts, that LH couldn't fulfill the terms.

Look, this may all be on the up and up but I was involved long enough to know how these things sometimes happen: a well placed hint to someone who can make things happen and all of a sudden summer houses get declared "vacant and abandoned" (yes, that happened). Or someone wants to rent a space and all of a sudden loses it, even with a signed lease, because someone else with more juice wants it (that happened, too).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Pulled the lease as of June 30 after determining, apparently in executive session which is legal as it deals with contracts, that LH couldn't fulfill the terms.

Look, this may all be on the up and up but I was involved long enough to know how these things sometimes happen: a well placed hint to someone who can make things happen and all of a sudden summer houses get declared "vacant and abandoned" (yes, that happened). Or someone wants to rent a space and all of a sudden loses it, even with a signed lease, because someone else with more juice wants it (that happened, too).

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I sorta understand why they did it, though. The instructors would start looking for jobs now, the parents would start looking for placements, etc.

Still, one has to wonder what was said/presented in the Executive Session since this landed like a bomb.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Still, one has to wonder what was said/presented in the Executive Session since this landed like a bomb.
It is my understanding that it was not a "bomb"...that ongoing discussions and with as much help as the CC could legally offer were not enough to stave off the financial collapse.