Leonardtown

keekee

I'm ok with growth, but I like Leonardtown how it is.

Anyone remember the "arcade" in the basement of Lucianos? :lmao:
A damp, dark cellar with 3 or 4 machines in it... It was the place to be when I was a kid.

How about the old guy with one arm who had the shoe repair shop in another basement?

Sorry, I must be getting old - I'm reminiscing...

T

toppick08

Anyone remember the "arcade" in the basement of Lucianos? :lmao:
A damp, dark cellar with 3 or 4 machines in it... It was the place to be when I was a kid.

How about the old guy with one arm who had the shoe repair shop in another basement?

Sorry, I must be getting old - I'm reminiscing...

:high5:

:drool:

T

toppick08

The street in front of St. Aloysious Church is to be torn up including the sidewalks and a new street plan adopted, One lane into town with one lane coming out with an extra turn lane put in. The whole street will be torn up for a long time for nothing. The street is fine the way it is.
Meanwhile businesses will be affected and leonardtown was just starting to get bakc on its feet.

The main reason L'Town is back to life, is when they wisely decided to keep the Courthouse downtown........and not out to the Gov'mt'lCenter....imho.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I am going to have to look now on the way home. The only new construction I have seen in Leanordtown is the new bank they are building on the corner by the fire truck yellow lashing lights.

Ohhh ok, Yeah I have not been in Old Leanordtown in a few weeks. But I will be going soon, Linda's Cafe got a new cook and the food is alot better. The cook at Copseys quit and went to Linda's.
LEONARDTOWN
He died last month.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Which "main drag" are you talking about.?

5 or Washington St........:confused:
I was gong to say I understand that there are improvements to Rt 5 coming. The big tree referred to on the first page is probably the one recently taken down by the cemetry. Again, I undertand it was not healthy and that it also was gong to be removed for road widening.
I hadn't heard anyting about "downtown" Leonardtown.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Interesting.

If you look at photographs from when Leonardtown was nothing it practically looks the same as it does today.

T

toppick08

I was gong to say I understand that there are improvements to Rt 5 coming. The big tree referred to on the first page is probably the one recently taken down by the cemetry. Again, I undertand it was not healthy and that it also was gong to be removed for road widening.
I hadn't heard anyting about "downtown" Leonardtown.

:pete:..That tree was solid as a rock...:ohwell:

ImnoMensa

I think Kevin will do well.

Washington Street is the street that will be torn up. Rt. 5 just by-passes Leonardtown now, but it sure was nice last time they worked on Rt. 5 to put those manhole covers in a perfect spot to destroy the shocks on your car.

Leaving the Courthouse where it is did play a major part in saving Leonardtown. Now they need to re-open the old Theater, and the bowling alley above Dukes. At 65 I could get a job setting the pins LOL.

T

toppick08

I think Kevin will do well.

Washington Street is the street that will be torn up. Rt. 5 just by-passes Leonardtown now, but it sure was nice last time they worked on Rt. 5 to put those manhole covers in a perfect spot to destroy the shocks on your car.

Leaving the Courthouse where it is did play a major part in saving Leonardtown. Now they need to re-open the old Theater, and the bowling alley above Dukes. At 65 I could get a job setting the pins LOL.

:yay:

joedancer

bookman
Right now business route 5 (that is Fenwick Street and Washington street) are maintained by the state. After the work is done, it will be turned over to the town. This is a good thing, as anything that the town wants to do has to be approved by the state as it currently stands. Some of the work is cosmetic, some of it neccesary as the infrastructure is old. New water main, and upgraded pipes are being done. Slowing down some of the traffic is important. People really need to pay attention to pedestrians in crosswalks. Every day I have to walk from my shop to the post office, and people just don't want to stop for a pedestrian in the crosswalk. There will be some improvements to the intersection on the town square, as well as improved sidewalks. All in all, it is a good thing. However, whenever there is construction, businesses can suffer. So, I encourage folks to continue to support businesses in downtown Leonardtown.