Let's go camping! It will be fun

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Out among all things nature. Birds, trees, fresh air. What is better than that? And what could possibly go wrong?

tree fell.jpg

No humans were hurt in this incident.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Camping is getting ridiculously expensive.

Anyone else noticing that? I'm talking about the nightly and seasonal rates. Some places are up 30 and 40 percent from last year.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Camping is getting ridiculously expensive.

Anyone else noticing that? I'm talking about the nightly and seasonal rates. Some places are up 30 and 40 percent from last year.

Yep. They've gone crazy all across the country, plus RV prices are irrationally high as well. I get it, inflation, but that doesn't account for all of it.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Yep. They've gone crazy all across the country, plus RV prices are irrationally high as well. I get it, inflation, but that doesn't account for all of it.

There were openings everywhere on Memorial Day - never heard of that happening before but with these price increases, there may be very few going camping next year. What a shame. :ohwell:

We still have ours parked over at that dump of a place but we have fun there. I haven't gotten the pricing for the new seasonal year - yet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There were openings everywhere on Memorial Day - never heard of that happening before but with these price increases, there may be very few going camping next year. What a shame. :ohwell:

We still have ours parked over at that dump of a place but we have fun there. I haven't gotten the pricing for the new seasonal year - yet.

I know the resort where I live is down hard from this time last year. Typically the park is filled with snowbirds - not this year. Prices have gotten ridiculous and a lot of them have downgraded to less desirable accommodations in a less desirable location, which are still outrageously priced.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
On a somewhat related note...the "high end" AirBnB properties on our island have seen a precipitous drop in reservations compared to the "glory days" of COVID. The ones with reasonable more-like-hotel rates are still doing OK.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I did know AirBnB's were hurting big time and some getting out of it all together because of issues with insurance.

Several of the places we checked out for seasonal camping sites have gone the way of investment corporations and it shows.
It seems gone are the days when you had owner/operator set ups.

We checked out Dennis Point Marina and was given last year's price list with a heads-up it was going up again for next year, at least a $1,000 more. You are not getting sh!t for that money either. No wifi, no nice pier, no beach front, nada. Cole's Point over in Virginia will be at or close to 6 grand next year for a seasonal site. Dennis Point tends to run slightly higher than Coles, but Coles has wifi, small beach and a nice pier.

Oh, and Dennis Point seemed to repeat a few times, weekends only. Coles isn't all that strict and neither is the place I am at. In fact, us women come down Thursday night just to hang out.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I did know AirBnB's were hurting big time and some getting out of it all together because of issues with insurance.

Several of the places we checked out for seasonal camping sites have gone the way of investment corporations and it shows.
It seems gone are the days when you had owner/operator set ups.

We checked out Dennis Point Marina and was given last year's price list with a heads-up it was going up again for next year, at least a $1,000 more. You are not getting sh!t for that money either. No wifi, no nice pier, no beach front, nada. Cole's Point over in Virginia will be at or close to 6 grand next year for a seasonal site. Dennis Point tends to run slightly higher than Coles, but Coles has wifi, small beach and a nice pier.
I know people that pulled out of Dennis Point due to rates. If I understand correctly, it was bought out by a company from DC that wants to upgrade it, but nothing mentioned how so.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I know people that pulled out of Dennis Point due to rates. If I understand correctly, it was bought out by a company from DC that wants to upgrade it, but nothing mentioned how so.
zero upgrades and people used to go to the restaurant down there to eat and watch the bands but the new owner doesn't want "those kinds of people there," so they changed it.

Seriously? People cutting up on the weekends having fun kind of people?

Where we are can get a bit wild sometimes - it is funny, actually. We had zero openings where we are but Dennis Point had like 10 season sites empty when we checked the place out. How can they afford to operate with so many vacancies?