Let's Play "Antiques Road Show"

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Am I the only antique-hater here? :lmao: To each his own, but I wouldn't pay 10 cents for that piece of furniture. Actually, I'd probably end up taking it to the dump and paying them the $10 fee to take it. :roflmao:

:bubble: :flowers:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
crabcake said:
That's exactly why I fell in love with it. It was so "old world" like ... and I envisioned the same things sitting on it when I got it. Then, reality set it, and I started setting my 10oz beer can on it while surfing the damn forum. :ohwell:

:lol:

Is that good ... bad ... :confused: I never paid much attention to particular types of wood when I've bought things ... I see it, I like it, I buy it. :ohwell:

Anyone have an idea of what something like this may be worth to a collector? :shrug:
Mahogany was very popular in the 1920s. It is a high end wood because it's imported. It grows in So. America, mostly. Cherry is lesser than Mahogany and often used in it's place, but it is one of the higher quality domestic woods.

AMP

Jersey attitude.
crabcake said:
K, here are two pictures .... you really gotta look at 'em close to see the marking b/c it's so faded (why I missed it earlier). It appears to be a rectangular stamp of some sort, and I can make out a big "N" as the first letter. Along the bottom is something smaller that looks like it might start with "Lau".

I put it in black and white too hoping the contrast would help make it out. The "N" may be an "M" too.

I'd say cherry, it's not burled enough for mahoghany.

Hey, no fair, the b/w pic looks like something from the ghosthunting thread. Could not make out the markings.

Try www.goantiques.com and put in desk as a search term, you might come up with soemthing close and see what it is worth, or get some ideas about manufacturer. I'd put it at about $200-$300, since it does have a few flaws, but structurally it looks solid, and the finish is not a real mess (as you sometimes see with the old varnishes).

AMP

Jersey attitude.
crabcake said:
That's exactly why I fell in love with it. It was so "old world" like ... and I envisioned the same things sitting on it when I got it. Then, reality set it, and I started setting my 10oz beer can on it while surfing the damn forum. :ohwell:

Arrrrgh! You're killing me! Please tell me you used a coaster, or at least a magazine! Arrrgh!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
AMP said:
I'd say cherry, it's not burled enough for mahoghany.

Hey, no fair, the b/w pic looks like something from the ghosthunting thread. Could not make out the markings.

Try www.goantiques.com and put in desk as a search term, you might come up with soemthing close and see what it is worth, or get some ideas about manufacturer. I'd put it at about $200-$300, since it does have a few flaws, but structurally it looks solid, and the finish is not a real mess (as you sometimes see with the old varnishes).
See Jabba :really: You could hock it and buy a bunch of :gossip:
:really: :lmao:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
AMP said:
Arrrrgh! You're killing me! Please tell me you used a coaster, or at least a magazine! Arrrgh!

I was kidding :wink: I'm sure I did set something on it at one point or another, but for the most part, it's just sat in the corner of my living room.

K

Kain99

crabcake said:
I was kidding :wink: I'm sure I did set something on it at one point or another, but for the most part, it's just sat in the corner of my living room.
Fishtank :cough: :cough: :killingme :huggy:

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Dymphna said:
Mahogany was very popular in the 1920s. It is a high end wood because it's imported. It grows in So. America, mostly. Cherry is lesser than Mahogany and often used in it's place, but it is one of the higher quality domestic woods.

I'd say cherry, because it looks like an office desk, definitely a work desk, not one of those ladies "keyhole" writing desks (escritoire) which are usually of the higher end woods, like mahoghany as you said.

In Leesburg VA or Lambertville NJ you could get maybe $400 for it, at Oil City Antiques Warehouse in PA you'd get $150. I love to shop for antiques at the right places!

AMP

Jersey attitude.
crabcake said:

:smile: I bet you will have it for a long time to come. What's fun about antiques is they can fit in just about anywhere, and their history makes them dearer than if we'd had something delivered from the Room Store or Ikea.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
AMP said:
I'd say cherry, because it looks like an office desk, definitely a work desk, not one of those ladies "keyhole" writing desks (escritoire) which are usually of the higher end woods, like mahoghany as you said.

In Leesburg VA or Lambertville NJ you could get maybe $400 for it, at Oil City Antiques Warehouse in PA you'd get $150. I love to shop for antiques at the right places!
That would be logical, but I have a couple of mahogany pieces that are more functional than decorative. Not to say you aren't right, but :shrug:

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Dymphna said:
That would be logical, but I have a couple of mahogany pieces that are more functional than decorative. Not to say you aren't right, but :shrug:

Yep, could be either.