Let's talk turkey!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Make your own! It's just smoked corned beef.

That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. Even when I get smoked brisket at the BBQ place, it's $20/lb. The smoker I want is like $250, and I'll make my money back quick enough to make it worth it.

SamSpade

That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. Even when I get smoked brisket at the BBQ place, it's $20/lb. The smoker I want is like $250, and I'll make my money back quick enough to make it worth it.

I've found that --
  1. Stores typically SLASH the cost of corned beef right around St. Patties' Day. If you like corned beef as I do, you might buy a bunch and store it in deep freeze (we have an EXTRA freezer).
  2. The cut of the meat - point or flat - doesn't make a LOT of difference, to be honest, although flat cut CUTS better.
  3. Lots of good recipes for preparing pastrami - I typically read from New York deli recipes (I think I made mine from a Katz recipe).
  4. Hope you have a good meat slicer - ours has ALSO paid for itself with slicing turkey breast, pork loin, ham, london broil and so on.
  5. Use your smoker a few times to see how it works best for you. Mine is huge but generally I have to keep an eye on the water pan to make sure the contents don't dry out.
  6. Smoked turkey breast is WONDERFUL. Just find the right rub.

Bonehead

Just consider what your time is worth to you. A smoker is not a fire and forget method, it takes constant attention unless it is automated. The fuel pellets or gas can be pricey for the automated types.

TPD

the poor dad
Well, it almost happened again. Had to slap my hand over my mouth.

The horse dick has taken over the deli department at many grocery stores.
OMG - I just opened a package from my friend in Finland - had it shipped to me via Harry & David - and guess what it contained? YUP - Horse Dick! Two of them!

WingsOfGold

Just consider what your time is worth to you. A smoker is not a fire and forget method, it takes constant attention unless it is automated. The fuel pellets or gas can be pricey for the automated types.
That's why I got electric, plug and play. 😁 Low and slow, 18 hours for a whole turkey.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Good Lord, just spit soda everywhere laughing.

My stepfather, bless his soul, loved summer sausage.

But he called it horse dick.

"Sharen, make sure you pick up some horse dick for Christmas day while the kids are here!"

I swear, I walk past it in the grocery store, and I almost say horse dick out loud. Always makes me think of him and smile.
I've been living a sheltered life. Never heard it referred to that way before. :lmao:

black dog

Free America

I have the smaller Pit Boss that I bought at Tractor Supply for $300.00 bucks, it was on sale from $359.00. Its a pellet burner, ive used it twice now and its been super easy to use.
The last thing I wanted was a monster grill.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I have the smaller Pit Boss that I bought at Tractor Supply for $300.00 bucks, it was on sale from $359.00. Its a pellet burner, ive used it twice now and its been super easy to use.
The last thing I wanted was a monster grill.
Thing2 (almost 26 now!) has a Pit Boss Pellet smoker. (not sure if he has the larger or smaller model) He has become quite good at smoking meat, too. He even does some kind of cheese dip in the smoker when he smokes a pork shoulder. That's damn delicious!

I never tried smoking meat, though I've always grilled food. He must must have gotten that from the @vraiblonde and Vince side of the family and all those cookouts and get togethers we used to have when they were younger! 🤣🤣

black dog

Free America
Thing2 (almost 26 now!) has a Pit Boss Pellet smoker. (not sure if he has the larger or smaller model) He has become quite good at smoking meat, too. He even does some kind of cheese dip in the smoker when he smokes a pork shoulder. That's damn delicious!

I never tried smoking meat, though I've always grilled food. He must must have gotten that from the @vraiblonde and Vince side of the family and all those cookouts and get togethers we used to have when they were younger! 🤣🤣

Im not a huge smoked person myself, I believe this smaller came out this past spring.
The big one is huge for someone that pretty much cooks for themselves...
Im going to try my first 1/2 brisket next week along with trying to smoke some mac, chunks of pork belly and Gouda... I really hope the mac turns out ok, I want to use the leftovers for grill cheeses