Letter sent to Phil Rollins and Authur Shepherd

LoveGodAlways

Phil and Arthur,

First of all I want to let you know that I am writing this letter as a concerned parent as well as a Recreation and Parks supervisor. As I am sure you are fully aware, the football issue has become a hot topic in the county and I wanted to present an opinion from a view that you may not have heard as not only a parent but a fellow sports program supervisor as well.
I am deeply concerned about the direction the football program is headed and most importantly the management and supervisory positions that have been filled. I was told by Kenny and Tyrone that Kyle Kebaugh is the supervisor in charge and he confirmed that for me two weeks ago. I have worked with Kyle since he was hired by Recreation and Parks. I have watched him in a supervisory position and I can tell you that he falls well short of the ability to supervise to the standards that Recreation and Parks has required in the past. I have been involved with him during the 9th/10th grade basketball tryouts where I and another gym supervisor had to not only recruit coaches on the spot but also run the draft and maintain order (Kenny was away on Recreation and Parks business and could not be there). I have also been to numerous 7/8 middle school games, county playoffs and all star/goodwill games where Kyle has been in charge and witnessed the same lack of management there. I have taken no less than 20 emails, phone calls and personal communications from people who have commented on how poorly 7/8 SELECT league is run compared to the other basketball leagues in the county. I do realize that he is young in regards to his career with Recreation and Parks but integrity, rules and leadership should not be sacrificed due to youth. I personally know that Kenny would never accept the direction, attitude, and overall lack of “good sportsmanship” that we supposedly try to promote in our youth sports programs, that is being displayed by football management at the present time.
The previous mentioned situations were only brought up as background to what took place on opening day at Lancaster Park. Before the game in question between the Red Braves and the Black Raiders started, I went to Kyle and told him of a situation that was interfering with the integrity of the game. I will admit that my tone was less than hospitable, however after hearing me his response was lackluster at best and his answer of “ok” was even less acceptable. He was fully aware of the weight issues and other problems at hand and he CHOSE not to face the issue and in fact stayed away from the field I question for as long as possible. I can’t possibly see Kenny Sothoron allowing that type of response from me or any other sports supervisor and I know that I personally would and have never walked away from an issue when I was ultimately the supervisor in charge of the children and their safety. It then took a conversation with Tyrone Harris before Kyle came to the field near halftime. At that point, I questioned Kyle about the players’ weights and his response was three-fold:

1) “This is how Calvert County does their weights”.

In regards to that, we don’t live in Calvert County so why are we using their weights, rules, and guidelines. If we are, then we should simply have a site on the SMCR&P website that directs us to Calvert County Recreation and Parks and have them run our league.

2) He then told me that if I had an issue I could “pay the 100$ and protest.” Gentlemen, I have worked in your department for 20 years and can’t ever remember telling someone to pay extra money to ensure that rules are being followed. These rules should be enforced all the time and at anytime. When you demand payment to enforce already written rules you lose the whole concept of “integrity” which you claim to stand for in the flyer that is sent home to every school-aged child.

3) I told him I had heard of a child that was 78 pounds on the opposing team. Of course, I didn’t know for sure and told him that, but it was his response that bothered me. He did appear to know the situation that I was referring to and in his words “the league allows 10 pounds above the maximum weight PLUS another 2 pounds for equipment.” I told him not only was that absurd but that it still placed the child at 1 pound over the limit. His response was that “it is close enough”. Again, all of these statements require attention from someone. I find it hard to believe that Recreation and Parks condones these answers.

Finally, I witnessed a representative from the other team hand our team mom a list of players names and weights well after the start of the game which I believe is a rule in the league. The list had names and actual weights of the kids. When the team mom asked where it came from the response was that Recreation and Parks gave it to them. Therefore either Kyle is weighing in kids in different areas in different manners to suit his own agenda or the coach lied to our team mom. I say this because Recreation and Parks weighed kids in only to see if they “made weight” not to get actual weights. So, if Kyle is following protocol then the other coach falsified a league form that is due at the start of each game or he lied to our coach/team mom who is an official in the league. Either of the last two offenses demands removal from the coaching position. Again, this fact is supported by Recreation and Parks dismissing basketball coaches, one of which came from my area for lying to a league official/falsifying a document required by the league. If that is not to happen then Recreation and Parks must condone Kyle circumventing the rules when he sees fit.
I write this letter with a heavy heart only because I have been a part of and dedicated more than 20 years of my life to Recreation and Parks and have helped Kenny for more than 15 years. Both of you know my dedication to Recreation and Parks and it pains me to see OUR organization brought down to this level. As a fellow supervisor, I know the difficulties in dealing with the public, but that has no bearing on the lack of leadership displayed. Kenny and I have often disagreed on many things in his leagues but we spend countless hours before the season working out the “what ifs” and we are always on the same page in regards to the safety of the children and enforcing and regulating the rules. That is an undeniable fact. I certainly know that he would not have tolerated the lack of attention to detail that has been shown in football.
As with every good letter that shows complaint, there should be a viable solution presented. Mine is simple. Weigh each child before each game. As you two both know, I am a PE teacher and part of my job is to weigh our kids for the county mandated fitness program. I can weigh an entire class (25-29 students) in about 5 minutes and that is getting their actual weight. They should weigh in with pads as that is the weight they play with on the field. Every child should present an original birth certificate for the next game and then it should be a rule that the original is needed next year at registration. As of now, anyone can go online and print any birth certificate out and present it to whomever. It is sad that it has come to this, but this is the time we live in.
In conclusion, I hope that you view this letter as a concerned parent as well as an employee who has seen a grave mishandling of what should be a league for kids that should, in the end, see the kids having fun. Right now, our kids are not having fun on Saturdays due to the fact that the playing field is not level. Recreation and Parks should hold its coaches, officials, and most importantly its supervisors to the highest level and right now that is not taking place in football.

Sincerely,

Recreation and Parks Supervisor
Parent

R

retiredweaxman

In the last paragraph, you mention, "In conclusion, I hope that you view this letter as a concerned parent as well as an employee who has seen a grave mishandling of what should be a league for kids that should, in the end, see the kids having fun. Right now, our kids are not having fun on Saturdays due to the fact that the playing field is not level."

I read and reread your letter and can only find one instance of "the playing field not being level" and that was because one kid weighed 78 pounds.

How are the kids not having fun? I did not see that mentioned in your letter at all. You did mention the "facts" that the league is not being properly run...coaches had to be hired on the spot...etc...The 2 examples I gave are normally invisible to the kids.

Is the bottom line your kid's team got whooped and you are taking it personally? Or is the bottom line you really prefer to run the league and think you can od it better?

Zguy28

I think this letter should not have been published on a public forum. I only say this since you are an employee, and it contains serious accusations about a coworker. Sending it to management is fine, but to publicly publish this is unprofessional and definitely misconduct.

If I was your boss, I'd probably fire you. :howdy:

LoveGodAlways

Not posted by the writter.

The writer of this letter is not the one who posted it and may not know it was even posted. The letter was posted because the public needs to know what is going on within parks and recs. This letter was written by someone who is on the outside looking in and who doesn't have a kid playing for the league. They signed the letter but the name was removed before posting. As far as the kids having fun, it is hard for them to have fun if the team can not play, this hurts both teams.

ftcret

The writer of this letter is not the one who posted it and may not know it was even posted. The letter was posted because the public needs to know what is going on within parks and recs. This letter was written by someone who is on the outside looking in and who doesn't have a kid playing for the league. They signed the letter but the name was removed before posting. As far as the kids having fun, it is hard for them to have fun if the team can not play, this hurts both teams.

Again - You call peeps out by name but you won't leave yours?

Zguy28

Ok, well that's good. Hopefully it doesn't get the author in trouble.

So, which team was allegedly receiving favoritism with the 78lb kid?

EDIT: this is why I have always been in favor of striping the playbacker's helmets to make it easily visible to everybody. Other leagues do it, I don't understand why coaches wouldn't want it to be obvious who the other guys playbackers are?

Last edited:
R

retiredweaxman

6, 7, and 8 year olds are more interested in running around, getting dirty, and wondering what the snack is after the game.

n0n1m0us3

why so serious

So you posted a letter you didn't write, that contains peoples names and cast aspersions at their character but didn't ask permission from the letter writer to post it? You don't even have a kid in this league yet you feel compelled to post this, is there any proof of wrong-doing? IMO you are a gutless pot stirrer.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Whether the letter should have been posted or not or who wrote it isn't important in my view. If it's true about the weight then it must be addressed, as should the integrity of the official/coach if it was ignored. I coached a few seasons when my son played and we weighed before every game in front of the opposing coaching staff. Can't believe anyone would let a kid 10 lbs overweight play without it being gross negligence.

Zguy28

Whether the letter should have been posted or not or who wrote it isn't important in my view. If it's true about the weight then it must be addressed, as should the integrity of the official/coach if it was ignored. I coached a few seasons when my son played and we weighed before every game in front of the opposing coaching staff. Can't believe anyone would let a kid 10 lbs overweight play without it being gross negligence.
The rule book allows a 10lb "blow-up" rule for players.

But they have to be on playbacker status.

Mabus

Free Rent
I can't believe you people's lives are run by some po-dunk little league games. Makes you wonder who's really on the field....

greytux

I was at the game I suspect is mentioned. I have coached with the coach I believe mentioned. I hate to stoop to this level but hey I am going to support my former Coach. The man cares so MUCH for these kids. He teaches to the level each child needs. He knows the difference between a win and a loss and what a child sees which is not the win or loss but the experience. It is sad to see this happen. Folks this is the FIRST year these two leagues are trying to make this work as in Calvert. Must we stoop to such a low level already!!!! Most of us did not want this but now that we have it let the kids PLAY and HAVE FUN!! Shut up, sit down, coach, be a parent, and most of all MAKE this work. It is what we have and for the KIDS make it WORK!!!! PLEASE!!! I work my tail off three days a week to make sure it works for my kids, my players, my parents, my fellow coaches, my league, my COUNTY!!! Think about that for a minute and then read it a couple more times!!! Please! We are all neighbors raising our boys and girls to be good citizens. We need to be good leaders at every level. One last time please!

Last edited:

Zguy28

I was at the game I suspect is mentioned. I have coached with the coach I believe mentioned. I hate to stoop to this level but hey I am going to support my former Coach. The man cares so MUCH for these kids. He teaches to the level each child needs. He knows the difference between a win and a loss and what a child sees which is not the win or loss but the experience. It is sad to see this happen. Folks this is the FIRST year these two leagues are trying to make this work as in Calvert. Must we stoop to such a low level already!!!! Most of us did not want this but now that we have it let the kids PLAY and HAVE FUN!! Shut up, sit down, coach, be a parent, and most of all MAKE this work. It is what we have and for the KIDS make it WORK!!!! PLEASE!!! I work my tail off three days a week to make sure it works for my kids, my players, my parents, my fellow coaches, my league, my COUNTY!!! Think about that for a minute and then read it a couple more times!!! Please! We are all neighbors raising our boys and girls to be good citizens. We need to be good leaders at every level. One last time please!
I also am aware of the game in question, and know the Braves coach personally.

And as a former youth coach I agree with the spirit of what you are saying.

But, when coaches, league administrators, or parents break or attempt to circumvent the rules it:

1. Does not set a positive example for the kids.
2. Takes away the fun of the game.
3. Damages the integrity and reputation of an organization and the person in question.

Last edited:

Zguy28

I can't believe you people's lives are run by some po-dunk little league games. Makes you wonder who's really on the field....
Youth football is a somewhat different animal than most other sports. I had a discussion with some colleagues about why people get so worked up about football, and not as much in other sports it seems. The best answer we could come up with is that it is such a big investment. It costs $150 to play, plus all the other expenses: cleats, custom socks, pictures, etc.

Pete

Repete
I also am aware of the game in question, and know the Braves coach personally.

And as a former youth coach I agree with the spirit of what you are saying.

But, when coaches, league administrators, or parents break or attempt to circumvent the rules it:

1. Does not set a positive example for the kids.
2. Takes away the fun of the game.
3. Damages the integrity and reputation of an organization and the person in question.

If they were that upset over the weight of one alleged 78 pound kid they should have challenged his weight. If he is over you get the $100 back as I understand it.

Pete

Repete
Youth football is a somewhat different animal than most other sports. I had a discussion with some colleagues about why people get so worked up about football, and not as much in other sports it seems. The best answer we could come up with is that it is such a big investment. It costs $150 to play, plus all the other expenses: cleats, custom socks, pictures, etc.

Not to mention weeks of grueling practice, hurt musles, bruises, sprains, sweat and blood. Football I believe requires more emotional investment.

Zguy28

If they were that upset over the weight of one alleged 78 pound kid they should have challenged his weight. If he is over you get the $100 back as I understand it.
I believe the Braves team did file a protest and paid the fee. The parties involved were supposed to meet with R&P last night I think.

Not to mention weeks of grueling practice, hurt musles, bruises, sprains, sweat and blood. Football I believe requires more emotional investment.

:yeahthat:

And let's not forget folks, that there were 18 other games played that weekend that, as far as I know, went off without a hitch and everybody had fun.

Last edited: