libertarians ensure another democrat win in VA

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
No citation needed for my belief, which is based on common sense. Most of the libertarian voters, if they had to pick between McCaulif (liberal hack Clintonite) and a less goverment Republican candidate like Cuccinelli (if you actually researched him,

but according to a previous post - Sarvis was running to the left on a lot of the issues except Gun Control

dipstick said:
Those were some pretty hardcore liberal Republicans that voted for Sarvis then.

He's pro-abortion, pro-marriage equality, supports environmental regulations, pro-immigration, for legalizing marijuana and decriminalizing other drugs, against the death penalty and for transportation infrastructure improvements. Those are issues that are near and dear to progressives - especially younger progressives.

Normally I would agree .... but in this election ....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No citation needed for my belief, which is based on common sense. Most of the libertarian voters, if they had to pick between McCaulif (liberal hack Clintonite) and a less goverment Republican candidate like Cuccinelli (if you actually researched him, you would see that he was not NEARLY the crazy cook McCaulif tried to falsly claim he was) would have voted for Cuccinelli. Libertarians align more closely with the Republicans than the liberal Democrats. Are they the same? No, never said they were.

Now YOU give citation on why I am wrong (in your opinion).

Other than how they voted?

Either you are saying they were not bright enough to see things your way, that the ONLY choice was A or B or, maybe, just perhaps, they are saying they refuse having only A or B.

60% of Va voters stayed home. Is it their fault too, that the GOP lost?

It is absolutely unreasonable to claim votes for X would absolutely have gone to Y were X not in the race. Especially when X is VERY different from Y.

:buddies:

Toxick

Splat
Yep. Race decided by +/- 56K votes. Sarvis got 146K. Most of those votes would have gone to Cuccinelli had Sarvis not run.

Or...

Or Cuccinelli could have sucked marginally less than he did. Or better yet, Republicans could have run a better candidate, and that person would have gotten many of the votes that he lost to both Sarvis and McAuliffe?

But I suppose that's just crazy talk.

Chris0nllyn

Or...

Or Cuccinelli could have sucked marginally less than he did. Or better yet, Republicans could have run a better candidate, and that person would have gotten many of the votes that he lost to both Sarvis and McAuliffe?

But I suppose that's just crazy talk.

It's easier to blame the Libertarian.

I've seen FB posts after the winner was announced that said "Libertarians are in bed with Liberals and Satan himself"

:killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's easier to blame the Libertarian.

I've seen FB posts after the winner was announced that said "Libertarians are in bed with Liberals and Satan himself"

Well, supposedly, this guy was in bed with a McCaulif supporter who financed him so, there is something to that. However, it doesn't change a damn thing. 60% of Va voters couldn't be bothered and THAT is a hell of a lot more worth considering in terms of a GOP platform and campaign than some no name also ran who, statistically, got enough votes to 'change' the outcome.

Chris0nllyn

Well, supposedly, this guy was in bed with a McCaulif supporter who financed him so, there is something to that. However, it doesn't change a damn thing. 60% of Va voters couldn't be bothered and THAT is a hell of a lot more worth considering in terms of a GOP platform and campaign than some no name also ran who, statistically, got enough votes to 'change' the outcome.

As if it made a difference.

Sarvis campaigned out of his minivan, with $84k.

The other 2 had tens of millions.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As if it made a difference.

Sarvis campaigned out of his minivan, with $84k.

The other 2 had tens of millions.

One thing I would say is this; if you can't vote in a given election, you can't give ONE dime to a party or candidate in that election. And, if you do give, expect to see your name and the amount(s) on public record a minute later.

That would be my campaign finance reform.

abcxyz

Sarvis was a plant, bought and paid for by the Democrats to draw votes away from the Republican.

It worked and will work again because the 3rd party preachers would rather have the worst than settle for okay when they can't have the best.

I liked Johnson but since he had 0 chance of winning, I went with Mitt so we wouldn't be stuck with Obama. Guess what, we are stuck with Obama because too many 3rd party fan boys can't understand the same logic.

Johnson- Best
Mitt- Okay
Obama- Worst

To me it isn't worth the risk of getting the worst when the best has 0 chance of winning. Lessor of 2 evils is better than double the evil, or at least one would would think.

Curious99

It looks like Sarvis may have pulled more votes from McAuliffe than Cuccinelli per ABC news exit polls.

“Finally, while it didn’t change the outcome, the third-party candidate in the race, Libertarian Robert Sarvis, may have made it closer for McAuliffe than it would have been otherwise. Had he not been on the ballot, a third of his voters said they’d have supported McAuliffe – slightly more than twice as many as said they’d have gone for Cuccinelli.”

Exit Poll Results Tell a Tale of Two Republicans - ABC News

Curious99

No. That can't be.

Historically, neither the GOP or Democrats have proven themselves to be the party of small government and informed young people looking at the entitlement situation must be worried about the taxes needed to pay for it and neither party is working to fix it.
Additionally, the GOP is scaring young people with the social issues and into the Democratic party. For example, Cuccionelli supports “personhood” legislation which would outlaw all abortions and some types of birth control.
It’s logical that Sarvis is first choice and McAuliffe would be a second choice for them.
Looking at the CNN exit poll, Sarvis supporters tend to be younger and college educated. (See also data on two person race.)
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2013/images/11/05/va.gov.exit.polls.1120p.110513.v2.final[1].copy.pdf

ftcret

From Dr. Tim's Moment Of Clarity

"To all of my Republican friends that blame us Libertarians for your loss of the Virginia Governor's race last night, I have two words that sum up what happened to you: John Boehner. He is the face of your party, your message, your vision for our nation's future, and your beacon to independents. He is your captain of team charisma - McConnell, McCain, Graham, Cantor. In your hearts, you know it - we are not your problem."

:coffee: