Limbaugh's Dirty Little Secret of Radio "Success"

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Bill Mann: Limbaugh's Dirty Little Secret of Radio "Success"

" Ever wonder why Rush "Boss" Limbaugh's syndicated radio show is all over the place like the proverbial cheap suit?

If you do much driving in rural areas -- e.g. between cities -- "Boss" Limbaugh's bloviations are often the only thing you can pick up on a car radio. Hey, that's what CD players are for.

Did Rush accrue hundreds of local radio affiliates across the country because his political views are mainstream? That's obviously not it. OK, so why IS his show so "popular?" Why do hundreds of stations around the country carry his show, the most widely syndicated talkfest in the country?

Glad you asked.

The real story is not generally well-known. The only reason I know is through my covering the business of radio for years for several major daily newspapers and also, for industry trade magazines like Radio World.

It's because -- ready for this? -- Rush's show was, and presumably still is, given away for free to many local radio stations.

This shocker is because of a little-known practice in broadcast syndication called a "barter deal." (Barter deals were briefly mentioned in Michael Wolff's first-rate recent piece on Rush in Vanity Fair).

Here's how a barter deal works: To launch the show, Limbaugh's syndicator, Premiere Radio Networks -- the same folks who syndicate wingnut du jour Glen Beck -- gave Limbaugh's three hours away -- that's right, no cash -- to local radio stations, mostly in medium and smaller markets, back in the early 1990's.

So, a local talk station got Rush's show for zilch. In exchange, Premiere took for itself much of the local station's available advertising time (roughly 15 minutes an hour) and packed the show with national ads it had already pre-sold.

Think Gold Bond Medicated Powder.

It's a very sweet deal for local radio station owners, explained Bill Exline a respected radio broker (he helped people buy and sell local stations). "Not only does the local station get three hours of free programming," Exline explained, "but that's one less local talk-show host on staff they need. It makes small- and medium-market radio properties more profitable and attractive by cutting down staff expenses."

Shocking, isn't it, that Limbaugh would allow jobs to be cut to advance his dubious career? Not to mention helping to make small radio stations far less local?

Major-market right-wing talk stations, like San Francisco's KSFO-AM ("Reichstag Radio") have to pay actual money, of course, to carry Boss Limbaugh's daily proclamation-a-thon. (Note: KSFO, which I referred to as "Sieg Heil on Your Dial" in my column when it first switched to righty talk, is the same station that gave hatemonger Michael Savage his first radio megaphone).

Radio sources say that small- and medium-market stations still get Limbaugh's show for free, or pay only a token amount of cash for it. I asked Michael Harrison, editor of radio-syndicator-friendly Talkers magazine about this, and he claimed he didn't know how many Limbaugh affiliates still barter. "

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Here's how a barter deal works: To launch the show, Limbaugh's syndicator, Premiere Radio Networks -- the same folks who syndicate wingnut du jour Glen Beck -- gave Limbaugh's three hours away -- that's right, no cash -- to local radio stations, mostly in medium and smaller markets, back in the early 1990's.

So, a local talk station got Rush's show for zilch. In exchange, Premiere took for itself much of the local station's available advertising time (roughly 15 minutes an hour) and packed the show with national ads it had already pre-sold.

Think Gold Bond Medicated Powder.

It's a very sweet deal for local radio station owners, explained Bill Exline a respected radio broker (he helped people buy and sell local stations). "Not only does the local station get three hours of free programming," Exline explained, "but that's one less local talk-show host on staff they need. It makes small- and medium-market radio properties more profitable and attractive by cutting down staff expenses."

Shocking, isn't it, that Limbaugh would allow jobs to be cut to advance his dubious career? Not to mention helping to make small radio stations far less local?

Oooh, another unbiased article from a Huffington Post writer! :high5:

OMG, a radio station's owners made a decision to take a "deal" that favors their financial bottom line and it's a crime?! :shocking:

AND, Rush Limbaugh is actually responsible for CUTTING JOBS, now?! cutting jobs that were never there - because the station managers had 3 hours of free programming?! :cds:

:yay: Great article, Nonno! Thanks for the laughs!! :lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:killingme:

Of course, only modern liberals would see someone giving their product away as a bad, sinister thing all while totally supporting taxing that business and giving their money away :lol: to all sorts of folks who then just consume it. Not value add it. Not make a living off of it. Just consume it.

Further, of course, would be the obvious; Air America didn't do this because? Because??? :lol: They couldn't give it away!

Even further, the ONLY way a radio station can make use of the Limbaugh show for free, or at ANY price, is because people listen to it. If they have a local super star, like Limbaugh was back in the day, then they draw more audience with that person than the 'free' show, charge more for the advertising and, viola, it makes more business sense to use the star.

The ONLY issue modern liberals have with this is because, in their minds, Limbaugh CONTROLS, in their minds, the radio and they, well, they don't.

That's what they want; control.

Repeat after me; Limbaugh is successful because the audience, a huge one, likes his show.

Rosehaven

dumb

I worked in the business and can say this isn't a story. It's done all the time. This hurts to say because I think Limbaugh's view of the world is insane, dangerous and unrealistic. But Rush ain't the villain in this one.

This_person

And, the stations keep it on the air even though they lose listeners? The advertisers keep advertising because no one is listening?

Incredible what the left will come to in an attempt to create an image of someone. Does anyone know ANYONE other than this guy that refers to Rush as "Boss"? :lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I worked in the business and can say this isn't a story. It's done all the time. This hurts to say because I think Limbaugh's view of the world is insane, dangerous and unrealistic. But Rush ain't the villain in this one.

Oh, goodie! Then it should be easy to state one view of his that you see as insane, dangerous and unrealistic.

Name several if you like. :buddies:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wirelessly posted (Change we can believe in!: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

Actually, Rush has great ratings because tards like Obama and Nonno keep him fresh in everyone's minds.

If they ignored him he would just be a little annoyning pimple on their ass, easily forgotten. But they keep picking at it, and it keeps growing into a festering puss filled wound that hurts more and more.

Good job, Nonno. You picked that scab yet again.

This_person

Wirelessly posted (Change we can believe in!: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

Actually, Rush has great ratings because tards like Obama and Nonno keep him fresh in everyone's minds.

If they ignored him he would just be a little annoyning pimple on their ass, easily forgotten. But they keep picking at it, and it keeps growing into a festering puss filled wound that hurts more and more.

Good job, Nonno. You picked that scab yet again.
You paint one hell of an image, don't you? :lmao:

foodcritic

Oooh, another unbiased article from a Huffington Post writer! :high5:

OMG, a radio station's owners made a decision to take a "deal" that favors their financial bottom line and it's a crime?! :shocking:

AND, Rush Limbaugh is actually responsible for CUTTING JOBS, now?! cutting jobs that were never there - because the station managers had 3 hours of free programming?! :cds:

:yay: Great article, Nonno! Thanks for the laughs!! :lmao:

The guy is really mad because Air Amerika is so broke they can't afford to "give" it away to these small stations...They are to desperate for the money to offer discounts.

Kinda like going after Walmart for offering deal that Macy's can't afford to do..:killingme

ImnoMensa

I have never listened to Rush, I get all my Rush news from people like Nanno who post it in this and other forums. Oh!! I have listened to a Rush youtube every once in a while when Nanno posts one or someone else posts it in a response, and truly I see nothing crazy in them. Unlike the Bill Maher ones which sound like the rendings of a fool.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Oh, goodie! Then it should be easy to state one view of his that you see as insane, dangerous and unrealistic.

Name several if you like. :buddies:

Waiting patiently....

Rosehaven

Someone has too much time on their hands

My apologies. I was working. Earning a living. You know, all that stuff.

I see no reason why I have to give you a single reason about my disenchantment with the World According to Rush ("war"?). I was simply making the point that the article is wrong and Rush's program is doing nothing different than what is done on other radio shows. I made the mistake of saying I don't buy the stuff he rants about. That's all.

You really need to find something else to do. I am glad to have been able to drop in and provide you with some grist for the mill though.

SamSpade

The guy is really mad because Air Amerika is so broke they can't afford to "give" it away to these small stations...They are to desperate for the money to offer discounts.

Kinda like going after Walmart for offering deal that Macy's can't afford to do..:killingme

I was going to say something like that. Rush's show works because no matter how it works, people LISTEN to him. That kind of deal completely fails if people don't listen out in the boonies, because no one wants to pay for advertising to empty air.

Contrast to Air America, which essentially DOES give it away, because it almost totally derives its existence on donations. Because it doesn't get the listenership, and can't drive the advertising dollars. They have a boring show. And it's going to get worse, because they don't have Bush to make fun of all the time, which was the glue holding their programming together.

I can't fault a man for doing what businesses do all the time - find a model that pulls in the customers. It sounds essentially like franchising. The big companies pay for the stuff up front, the local guy gets paid to bring people in.

It's only a dirty little secret if you're too stupid to understand how people everywhere make a dollar.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I see no reason why I have to give you a single reason about my disenchantment with the World According to Rush ("war"?). I was simply making the point that the article is wrong and Rush's program is doing nothing different than what is done on other radio shows. I made the mistake of saying I don't buy the stuff he rants about. That's all.

You really need to find something else to do. I am glad to have been able to drop in and provide you with some grist for the mill though.

Yeah, that's about what I figured. :coffee:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Oh. My bad. I thought you said;

I think Limbaugh's view of the world is insane, dangerous and unrealistic.

...and I was honestly interested to hear your thoughts because I find it endlessly fascinating when people dislike someone yet they don't seem to know why. The flip side is they tend to support other people and they also don't seem to know why.

:buddies: