little black flies

rabbithead

Are they swarming at your farm and driving the horses nuts, or is it just me? Seems like they come in right before we have a hurricane, or maybe it's just that time of year.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Turbo? Who's Turbo - oh yeah that guy that seems to talk about GUY stuff like farts and big butts (okay so NOT technically the same subject unless attached to a dog in BOTH cases?) and other guy things he talks about, while showcasing his grand knowledge of the world, which makes us like him (well most times) ....? :whistle: IS that the TURBO you are referring to? :popcorn:

Please don't tell Turbo. :coffee:

shilo

Are they swarming at your farm and driving the horses nuts, or is it just me? Seems like they come in right before we have a hurricane, or maybe it's just that time of year.

They showed up at our farm yesterday. I had to put all the horses up under fans and still had to keep them sprayed. The flies were biting me too and it hurt!

Eventer29

I hate hate hate these suckers! They are tearing up our horse's legs and bellies. Does not seem to matter what fly spray or wipe we use. I dont think they have ever been quite this bad. I didnt get much riding done yesterday, soaked my mare in fly spray and she was still too busy stomping, hopping, biting at flies to get any real riding done. Make em go away!!!!!!!!!!

highnote

I agree, they have never been this bad. When I read the original post I didnt see how they could be that much worse in ONE DAY... but they were!! When I went out to feed yesterday my mare was lathered and still trotting around to get away from them, there were about 15-20 attached to her. She came running up to me and kept whinnying as if to say "HELP mom HELP!!". Poor girl! I gave her a bath, poured about a half gallon of vinegar on her, then lathered her with the expensive sweat proof fly spray. They were still bothering her afterward, but not as bad.

highnote

Not to mention they were biting ME right through my clothing! They were even biting my ankles through my thick thermal socks! (I know wearing thermals in August sounds crazy, but they are my only really TALL socks).

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We've got them too and the past few days have been HORRIBLE - you can't walk outside w/o being attacked. I used 28% DEET on me and they were still on me like I had nothing on! That's crazy.

Not to mention they were biting ME right through my clothing! They were even biting my ankles through my thick thermal socks! (I know wearing thermals in August sounds crazy, but they are my only really TALL socks).

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I hate hate hate these suckers! They are tearing up our horse's legs and bellies. Does not seem to matter what fly spray or wipe we use. I dont think they have ever been quite this bad. I didnt get much riding done yesterday, soaked my mare in fly spray and she was still too busy stomping, hopping, biting at flies to get any real riding done. Make em go away!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, fly sprays were ineffective. yesterday I tried a new brand, all natual green product. Sprayed the flys and they fell off the horses on to the ground. :yahoo: intresting! I squished them with my shoe. :killingme

16 dollars a bottle tho

CORRECTION 16.75 / bottle
I bought it at elams that worked on everything except the mutant horse flys.

made by Absorbine
ULTRA SHIELD GREEN
natural fly repellent

active ingredients
thyme oil
cedar oil
lemongrass oil
rosemary oil
citronella oil
clove oil
geraniol
sodium lauryl sulfate

inert ingrediantes
water & glycerin.

can be used on horses, ponies, foals, and dogs

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I killed 3 horse flies in 30 minutes yesterday that landed on my horse - ewww I hate smashing them with my hand.

I agree, fly sprays were ineffective. yesterday I tried a new brand, all natual green product. Sprayed the flys and they fell off the horses on to the ground. :yahoo: intresting! I squished them with my shoe. :killingme

16 dollars a bottle tho

Wait4It..boom

It's bizarre! It's like they're migrating and have just shown up here 2 days ago. I use fly predators, but they've got nothing on the ones that are at the house. I literally was soaking one of the horses yesterday in fly spray and 5+ flies were still landing on the wet spots. I usually use organic fly spray (with a citronella blend) but it's not working. I brought out the big guns with mosquito halt. It was better (the horses were dancing less), but not perfect.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I was thinking the same thing about the fly predators - mine were probably thinking "RUN they have us surrounded" LOL

Wait4It..boom

I was thinking the same thing about the fly predators - mine were probably thinking "RUN they have us surrounded" LOL

you aren't kidding! I called Spalding thinking I was overdue for a shipment and that's why I was having this wretched infestation! OOPS! ;O)
my brother made the mistake of going into the field with one of my guys yesterday when my horse was in panic mode from the flies. My brother thought he was being "attacked" by the horse. He didn't believe me when I tried to tell him the horse was begging for HELP from the flies :killingme:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I sure hope they leave as fast as they came? WHERE did they come from anyway? I can't even stand outside for 5 minutes without being attacked from all sides.

you aren't kidding! I called Spalding thinking I was overdue for a shipment and that's why I was having this wretched infestation! OOPS! ;O)
my brother made the mistake of going into the field with one of my guys yesterday when my horse was in panic mode from the flies. My brother thought he was being "attacked" by the horse. He didn't believe me when I tried to tell him the horse was begging for HELP from the flies :killingme:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Fly Predators definitely do help and thank goodness I just got a double order in. But, I agree this past 3-4 days the population of both the small black (stable and biting house flies) and the large black horseflies as really jumped.

I was at three other farms in the last four days and I killed a bunch of flies at each. Die flies die! Yes, I am a bloodthirsty vicious woman.

Wait4It..boom

I read an article that says a horse can be bitten as many as 4,000 times a day and lose 0.5L of blood!
I also noticed in the last 2 days, one of my guys that's more sensitive isn't sleeping as much and actually fell asleep in the cross ties, knees buckled and all. Not enough REM sleep. Poor guy :0(

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Fly Predators definitely do help and thank goodness I just got a double order in. But, I agree this past 3-4 days the population of both the small black (stable and biting house flies) and the large black horseflies as really jumped.

I was at three other farms in the last four days and I killed a bunch of flies at each. Die flies die! Yes, I am a bloodthirsty vicious woman.

Are you talking about the house flies or the tiny black flies about the size of a large gnat?

highnote

Are you talking about the house flies or the tiny black flies about the size of a large gnat?

House flies don't bite, so I know its not them. I've seen some deer flies, but also some other types of "small" biting flies I'm not familiar with.