Live Music for weekend: 1/17-1/20

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
I am going to start a new thing and try and get this Music, Bands & Shows section going. Each week I'll start a thread so that everyone can list what band is playing where. I am going to start the thread the week of, this is so people don't get confused.

Shows are limited to Southern MD region, unless a local band is playing in VA/DC/Outside SoMD/PA/anywhere, post that. You can post any Non-regional band's shows also

The format shall be:

Thursday - 1/17
Time: 9:30pm
Band: Baker Boys
City/Town: California

Friday - 1/18
Location/Venue: Memories
Band(s): Splintered Image
City/Town: Waldorf

Saturday - 1/19
Location/Venue: Boatman's
Time: 9:00pm
Band(s): Anomaly's web page
City/Town: Ridge, MD

Location/Venue: Fuzion Rock Room
Band(s): S.T.O.R.M Reggae & Lionize
City/Town: California, MD

Location/Venue: Cryer’s Back Road Inn
Time: 9:30
Band(s): No Green Jelly Beans
City/Town: Leonardtown

Sunday - 1/20
Location/Venue:
Time:
Band(s):
City/Town:

E

(((echo)))

No Green Jelly Beans is :gossip: and :gossip:. They any good?

the EXACT same situation in EVERY way.
the person you hate told me that they are already having bickering issues and that it isnt gonna last another 2 months :lmao:
you do remember that Chris got married right??.....and is divorcing allready

Jameo

What?!
the EXACT same situation in EVERY way.
the person you hate told me that they are already having bickering issues and that it isnt gonna last another 2 months :lmao:
you do remember that Chris got married right??.....and is divorcing allready

Oh slutty groupies and everything, huh? Nevermind, I won't waste my time then :lmao:

And I'm shocked he lasted this long. He's a winner! :dork: :lmao:

E

(((echo)))

Oh slutty groupies and everything, huh? Nevermind, I won't waste my time then :lmao:

And I'm shocked he lasted this long. He's a winner! :dork: :lmao:

actually no....i think your facts are a lil messed up (i'll help with the rundown)

I announce i was leaving (gave 1 month warning)
Chris starts dating this Jackie chick
I leave band
They get engaged
The band completely breaks up
They get married
Chris puts ALL his equipment up for sale
Rich and Allen and Jimmy, join forces with NGJ with Wes on drums and George on guitar
Jackie files for divorce

there you have it....all in a span of about 6 months :lol:

Jameo

What?!
actually no....i think your facts are a lil messed up (i'll help with the rundown)

I announce i was leaving (gave 1 month warning)
Chris starts dating this Jackie chick
I leave band
They get engaged
The band completely breaks up
They get married
Chris puts ALL his equipment up for sale
Rich and Allen and Jimmy, join forces with NGJ with Wes on drums and George on guitar
Jackie files for divorce

there you have it....all in a span of about 6 months :lol:

I know all that :dork:

U said "the EXACT same situation in EVERY way." Including the slutty groupie I'm assuming :barf: :lmao: so I wont' waste my time going to see them play.

E

(((echo)))

I know all that :dork:

U said "the EXACT same situation in EVERY way." Including the slutty groupie I'm assuming :barf: :lmao: so I wont' waste my time going to see them play.

ahhh ok you can tell Dye they still do 99 balloons :lmao:

SoMdmMusician

I would have to say, "It's a great idea!" But I can't tell lies.

When the bands cancel all the time and most of them don't even know where they are playing half the time themselves, it's not a good outlook.

Plus most of the bars that have live bands, keep the last band they had listed on the front marquee, just to show that they had a band in there once upon a time.

Most of the bands that play around here are not from the area, so, most people don't know who's playing when or where until it's Sunday afternoon when they read a post from someone about the band they saw last night.

So, basically what's gonna happen here is, we will have only 2-3 south-county dives updated weekly, with mostly outdated and incorrect information.

But, hey... we can try anything, 10 times or more.

Not a sermon... just a fact.

Thank You,
A veteran, local scene, musician of 25 years.

Dodgem250

I would have to say, "It's a great idea!" But I can't tell lies.

When the bands cancel all the time and most of them don't even know where they are playing half the time themselves, it's not a good outlook.

Plus most of the bars that have live bands, keep the last band they had listed on the front marquee, just to show that they had a band in there once upon a time.

Most of the bands that play around here are not from the area, so, most people don't know who's playing when or where until it's Sunday afternoon when they read a post from someone about the band they saw last night.

So, basically what's gonna happen here is, we will have only 2-3 south-county dives updated weekly, with mostly outdated and incorrect information.

But, hey... we can try anything, 10 times or more.

Not a sermon... just a fact.

Thank You,
A veteran, local scene, musician of 25 years.

Amen Brutha' !

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
There are a good bit of places that are up to date with their schedule. Myspace has a decent schedule, but when you search for local shows it includes DC with the mix and 50 some wanna-be DJs and house parties hosted by an underage kid.

I was starting these thread the week of... that way cancellations are kept to a minimal. Bands should be locked in to where they are playing 2-3 weeks before they play. If not, that to bad on the bar's future. I just had a band cancel a show on me for the 3rd time, I will no longer be working with that band... I have even done it to a bar who called me the day before and said they booked another sound guy. 3 strikes and I'm not working with you. I do understand things do happen but these are legit BS cancels, I have had a band cancel a week before becauase their lead guitarist is in the hospital for health reasons, so that not a strike.

Dodgem250

Here is another thought for you to ponder on the reason why the idea could be a failure. Bands do not promote themselves like they should, they expect their 10 friends and the venue to do it for them.

The Venues do not promote like they should, they expect the bands and their 10 friends to do it for them.

So, when all is said and done...

If the bands don't promote, then the 10 friends don't when they're playing.

If the venues don't promote, then the 10 friends don't know when they're playing.

If the 10 friends don't know the detailed "who & where", then all this math rounds off to the nearest "0", and that's why local bars have no crowds and bands "Beach and moan" because nobody came out to the show.

Ever heard my personal theory: "No show, didn't know?"

If you want to have a show, you have to MAKE them know about it, sounds easy enough, right?

Now, just try to make them, make it happen.

MrX

High Octane
Here is another thought for you to ponder on the reason why the idea could be a failure. Bands do not promote themselves like they should, they expect their 10 friends and the venue to do it for them.

The Venues do not promote like they should, they expect the bands and their 10 friends to do it for them.

So, when all is said and done...

If the bands don't promote, then the 10 friends don't when they're playing.

If the venues don't promote, then the 10 friends don't know when they're playing.

If the 10 friends don't know the detailed "who & where", then all this math rounds off to the nearest "0", and that's why local bars have no crowds and bands "Beach and moan" because nobody came out to the show.

Ever heard my personal theory: "No show, didn't know?"

If you want to have a show, you have to MAKE them know about it, sounds easy enough, right?

Now, just try to make them, make it happen.

Myspace has become quite a place for bands to get their names, music, and upcoming shows out there.....with millions of people online they can (and do) post bulletins on a regular basis about where they are playing (sometimes months in advance) and in turn those on their friends lists can repost the bulletin for their friends to see....and so on. No to mention the bands usually have their schedule on the bands myspace page as well into the future as possible.

I cant speak for any other local venues, but I know for a fact that Badfish almost always had a good crowd on Friday and Saturday nights...and every show had been promoted multiple times a day. Ive only been to Fuzion a few times since Jarod and Matt moved over there but it has been packed everytime and the shows are promoted as much or more than they were at Badfish.

Every band I know promotes the hell out of their shows....as do their friends and fans.

Dodgem250

Myspace has become quite a place for bands to get their names, music, and upcoming shows out there.....with millions of people online they can (and do) post bulletins on a regular basis about where they are playing (sometimes months in advance) and in turn those on their friends lists can repost the bulletin for their friends to see....and so on. No to mention the bands usually have their schedule on the bands myspace page as well into the future as possible.

I cant speak for any other local venues, but I know for a fact that Badfish almost always had a good crowd on Friday and Saturday nights...and every show had been promoted multiple times a day. Ive only been to Fuzion a few times since Jarod and Matt moved over there but it has been packed everytime and the shows are promoted as much or more than they were at Badfish.

Every band I know promotes the hell out of their shows....as do their friends and fans.

Ok, well, then I guess SoMdMusician made his point, we have been able to narrow the venue list down to... three?

Now, my next question is, how many people who go to bars actually have a page on myspace? A few??????

Yeah, that's he's trying to say.

"Every band I know promotes the hell out of their shows", you said it yourself right here, so, the point continues to be made and you said it yourself.

MrX

High Octane
Ok, well, then I guess SoMdMusician made his point, we have been able to narrow the venue list down to... three?

Now, my next question is, how many people who go to bars actually have a page on myspace? A few??????

Yeah, that's he's trying to say.

"Every band I know promotes the hell out of their shows", you said it yourself right here, so, the point continues to be made and you said it yourself.

There are a lot of people that go to bars to see live music that have myspace pages.....more than you assume.

Thats correct, I said every band I know..... that could be 1 or it could be a thousand. I may or may not know them personally, but if they are on my friends list i see their promos..and can repost them for others to see. I forgot to add every venue I know of (badfish (RIP), fuzion, fletchers, TT reynolds, 9:30, 8 x 10, ottobar, recher theatre, the whiskey, angels rock bar, sharkeys, sonar, and the list goes on) all promote their shows quite a bit. So if the venues/bands in SoMd choose not too...then thats their own fault.

My point is, the means to promote are there.....and are free or nearly free. myspace is free, and there are many people on there that go to bars, that are into music, that want to go see live music. I have over a hundred of said people (that I personally know) as friends in real life that are my friends on myspace. Maybe the local band can expand their ten friends to hundreds of friends.....and fans. Maybe someone thats never heard of them will hear of them and those new fans will come out to shows.

Take Minus-One for example.... local guys from St Mary's/Charles County. If it werent for Myspace, they most likely wouldnt have the fan base they do have. They certainly wouldnt have opened at the DC101 Chili Cook-off last summer. They promote their shows....no matter where the show is. Whats that cost them? Some of their time...and thats it. A simple flyer with info, or even a few words in a bulletin about an upcoming show. Before you know it there are thousands of people reposting it for their "friends" to see.

When Mojo was on 97.7, he tried to get a local music segement started....he asked local bands to send him some of their material on CD. He received maybe six....if that. I spoke to him about possibly working with a local venue to have a 97.7 sponsored local music show on a regular (weekly, bi-weekly, etc) basis similar to the Noise in the Basement that Matt Davis from 98Rock does at Fletcher's every Monday night. They ALWAYS have a great crowd, and have bands lined up to play. They get an interview with Matt on 98Rock the sunday before they play, and have some of their music played on the air as well. The bands didnt respond to Mojo's request for music....who's fault?