LOaded Up With Spainish Mackerals Today

Capt Brady

Loaded up with Spainish Mackerals today. Gave away many and now I've got to clean several dozern of them. Some I'll smoke tomorrow, some I'll grill tomorrow evening for dinner, and some I'll ( you fill in the blank.)

Anybody have a Spainish Mackeral recipe they would like to share ?

Last edited:
Try this fishing board, Chesapeake Bay Fishing and ask NGU2003 (Bob). He is a great guy, and loves the MAC almost as much as Rockfish. I have never caught any, so I cannot help on this. Post back any recipes that you get from Bob.

Nevermind Capt. Brady, I see from your other fishing post that you already know about Bob's board. Sorry I cannot be any help on recipes.

BullDawg

Duck Molester
Originally posted by Capt Brady
Loaded up with Spainish Mackerals today. Gave away many and now I've got to clean several dozern of them. Some I'll smoke tomorrow, some I'll grill tomorrow evening for dinner, and some I'll ( you fill in the blank.)

Anybody have a Spainish Mackeral recipe they would like to share ?

No recipe but do tell us how you caught them and what you were using. Am I correct that you were out around the rips?

K

Kain99

What in the heck are Spanish mackerals doing in Southern Maryland?

Originally posted by Kain99
What in the heck are Spanish mackerals doing in Southern Maryland?
Apparently they are called Spanish Mackerals because they have a gold spot on the side that looks like a spanish dubloon. To quote Three Dog Night, they "Have Never Been To Spain."

Capt Brady

Spanish Mackeral come into the Middle Chesapeake in mid summer and from fishing reports elsewhere, I've read where they are being seen and caught as far north as the Bay Bridge.

As to where I caught these fish, please do not bother to ask me about specific locations as I am a fulltime professional light tackle and flyfishing guide, and that is one of the things that I'm hired do : find the fish.

Generally Spanish Mackerals are like other fish in the sense they follow the food source, in particuliar, Bay Anchovies.

As soon as the water temperatures begin to drop in September, the Spanish are the first to leave this Bay.