Local car accidents

General Lee

I know a lot here visit smnewsnet and the baynet which both post the daily crashes in southern Maryland. We all know crashes occur everywhere but the amount and severity that occur in southern Maryland, particularly in St. Mary's is flat out ridiculous. I have no words other than its just flat out ridiculous and a lot of stupidity. The driver of this crash yesterday is lucky to be alive unless something changed since the article's posting.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/4574...enter-after-motor-vehicle-accident-in-avenue/

Tech

With an average speed of 50MPH on most of the roads, any misstep leads to a higher injury. Was involved in EMS in a more urban area, intersection conflicts would just lead to laceration and contusion.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, as a rider, I pay an inordinate amount of attention to drivers, since they are the most dangerous thing I interact with. The amount of attneiton people dont pay to the road, or staying in the lanes, or other drivers just blows me away. I'm pretty much an 8-9mph over the limit guy, traffic and conditions allowing, of course. But I see people passing traffic going 20mph more than the flow, making lane changes with feet to spare, if that much. In the last three days I've had two different people try to merge literally into the side of the wife red Jeep Cherokee with black wheels.

BernieP

Resident PIA
really bad accident on 235 in the evening (July 4).
All sorts of ES vehicles on both sides of the median.
Didn't want to be a rubber necker but did see multiple vehicles in the media pretty crunched up - right around the cut through at FDR BLVD and 235, just south of Wildewood.

Goldenhawk

Being the data hound that I am.... is there any way to get real statistics from the MSP regarding accident causes and locations? I'm assuming it's public info - anybody know how to get it?

glhs837

Power with Control
Being the data hound that I am.... is there any way to get real statistics from the MSP regarding accident causes and locations? I'm assuming it's public info - anybody know how to get it?

Most likely need to do a freedom of information request. Only time I've seen any data at all was the cherry picked BS that Sheriff Cameron put out when he was trying to justify his red light cameras a few years back.

glhs837

Power with Control
I saw the immediate aftermath of this one, two easily avoidable wrecks if people would just pay attention and not follow so closely.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/4573...h-in-lexington-park-during-rush-hour-traffic/

Agreed. If the NIssan could avoid the truck, the Jeep and Ford could avoid the Jeep. The impact of the Ford into the truck seems odd, almost like it came in ahead of the back corner, closer to the second wheel at a 45 degree angle. Massive panicked reaction to the right, truck srated going off-road, panicked and overreacted back into the side of the big truck.

officeguy

Agreed. If the NIssan could avoid the truck, the Jeep and Ford could avoid the Jeep. The impact of the Ford into the truck seems odd, almost like it came in ahead of the back corner, closer to the second wheel at a 45 degree angle. Massive panicked reaction to the right, truck srated going off-road, panicked and overreacted back into the side of the big truck.

The fords left front tire ended up on the left side of the truck. Not sure how he managed to tear that one off, he must have impaced somewhere in the front of the truck.

glhs837

Power with Control
The fords left front tire ended up on the left side of the truck. Not sure how he managed to tear that one off, he must have impaced somewhere in the front of the truck.

Think that wheel went under the truck, one of the reasons I think he hit the right side just forward of that wheel that can be raised up. I think it's called a lift axle.

hitchicken

Not the scenario described in this case, but I recall a friend telling a close relative about being tailgated by a trio of vehicles. He sped toward a slow moving tractor trailer then swerved into an adjacent lane (shoulder?) at the last possible second. The trio of cars behind him stacked up like cordwood on the trailer's L beam. Apparently, tailgaters become fixated on the bumper ahead and willingly go over the cliff like lemmings.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not the scenario described in this case, but I recall a friend telling a close relative about being tailgated by a trio of vehicles. He sped toward a slow moving tractor trailer then swerved into an adjacent lane (shoulder?) at the last possible second. The trio of cars behind him stacked up like cordwood on the trailer's L beam. Apparently, tailgaters become fixated on the bumper ahead and willingly go over the cliff like lemmings.

Oh, they do. Taught the kids to look for people like that, you can tell because they never act proactively. They only brake when the vehicle ahead of them brakes. Not just tailgaters, many,many motorists dive in a very small bubble. Like one car in every direction small. Anything outside of that is outside of their field of regard.

Goldenhawk

So... I wonder how he feels about possibly killing and certainly injuring several people. If he knew they were inattentive, he bears some responsibility for what happened.

Goldenhawk

Oh, they do. Taught the kids to look for people like that, you can tell because they never act proactively. They only brake when the vehicle ahead of them brakes. Not just tailgaters, many,many motorists dive in a very small bubble. Like one car in every direction small. Anything outside of that is outside of their field of regard.
Exactly why I now slow down to intentionally force them to go around me, or pull over and let them pass. If I legitimately need to brake hard, I'd be dealing with an insurance claim and a damaged vehicle. Not worth the risk to me and my vehicle, and even though I'm a rather aggressive driver (at least according to my wife) I'm unwilling to tolerate tailgaters.

PeoplesElbow

Exactly why I now slow down to intentionally force them to go around me, or pull over and let them pass. If I legitimately need to brake hard, I'd be dealing with an insurance claim and a damaged vehicle. Not worth the risk to me and my vehicle, and even though I'm a rather aggressive driver (at least according to my wife) I'm unwilling to tolerate tailgaters.

I find it funny that most of my coworkers tell me that I drive like an old man, my other half tells me I am an aggressive driver. When I leave the state of MD I can definitely tell I drive more aggressively than most of the other people I encounter.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I find it funny that most of my coworkers tell me that I drive like an old man, my other half tells me I am an aggressive driver. When I leave the state of MD I can definitely tell I drive more aggressively than most of the other people I encounter.
For the most part, I drive like an old lady.
But I cuss like a sailor!