Local Marine Commerce in Action

stgislander

PREMO Member
There's been an unusual sight in Piney Point the past couple days. A tanker tied up at the old Steuart Petroleum fuel pier, and another tanker and a tug/barge anchored nearby. I went on Marine Tracker just to see who they were, and also noticed a LNG ship at the Cover Point terminal with another LNG ship anchored nearby.

It does my heart good to see big ships back at these terminals, even if it is only temporary.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Good stuff. There was no sign of any activity at either facility when we passed by them twice in the boat a couple weeks ago.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The ships have been regular visitors at the LNG facility since the construction was completed .

I assumed so...but both days we rolled past there recently, the Cove Point terminal was empty and no ships in the vicinity. The Piney Point terminal has been almost completely idled for years now.

phreddyp

I assumed so...but both days we rolled past there recently, the Cove Point terminal was empty and no ships in the vicinity. The Piney Point terminal has been almost completely idled for years now.
I am not trying to say that they are there everyday, but they are there usually twice a week . They park on the southern side of Cove Point at the edge of the channel when the weather is too iffiy to dock until they have better weather conditions I guess.

I have only seen two ships at the dock once since it went into service.

stgislander

PREMO Member
When I still had contacts at the CG Station, I knew more about the comings and goings at Cove Point. Especially when they had folks operating out of West Basin.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dense fog on the Potomac this morning. The tankers anchored off the Piney Point oil terminal are sounding their fog horns at regular intervals. I didn't realize how much I missed that sound until its back after being gone for so many years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oil spill containment company brought in to cover the transfers at the PP terminal. Had an oopsee to day...and I think it happened right there in the parking lot by someone backing in to the engine. @PrchJrkr might get an emergency service call...

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Oil spill containment company brought in to cover the transfers at the PP terminal. Had an oopsee to day...and I think it happened right there in the parking lot by someone backing in to the engine. @PrchJrkr might get an emergency service call...

View attachment 152507
This is the first I've heard of it. That's going to hurt someone's wallet. It looks like the back rails should've been a little lower.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's an ouch $$ for sure. Looks like the transom is toast.
I think the transom is ok.....the entire motor mount tilt bracket casting is destroyed. Part of it is still bolted to the transom. I was going to take a closer look but the boat and trailer were gone when I went past there later.