Local place to get fresh berries?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Is there a local farmers market open today that usually has fresh berries on sale?

you do realize that the berries that you buy at the farmers market are no fresher than the one at Giant or McKays - unless it's "in season" and they were grown locally.
A lot of the vendors at the farmers market will have produce that is imported, if they didn't they wouldn't have anything to sell most of the time (I've even seen that at road side stands).

you do realize that the berries that you buy at the farmers market are no fresher than the one at Giant or McKays - unless it's "in season" and they were grown locally.
A lot of the vendors at the farmers market will have produce that is imported, if they didn't they wouldn't have anything to sell most of the time (I've even seen that at road side stands).
Yes, I do realize that... same goes for most of the veggies that get sold at farmers markets.

There tends to be more of a selection to chose from at a farmer's market than what our local grocery stores have to offer.

Anybody wanting trully picked local berries should hit the huge farm just over the 301 bridge in VA! Awesome place!!!!

http://www.westmorelandberryfarm.com/

sm8

I was told in order for the Amish to sell produce it has to of been grown in the county they are selling in. Euri and Rebecca Yoder have fresh strawberries at Yoder's produce in front of Charlotte Hall Library.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

You have to be a local grower to participate at the one in St Mary's.
You cannot sell what you do not grow.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yes, I do realize that... same goes for most of the veggies that get sold at farmers markets.

There tends to be more of a selection to chose from at a farmer's market than what our local grocery stores have to offer.

Anybody wanting trully picked local berries should hit the huge farm just over the 301 bridge in VA! Awesome place!!!!

http://www.westmorelandberryfarm.com/

Been there, very nice but it's not "just over" the bridge AND the bridge is a pretty decent drive.
But if you are out for the day ...

Been there, very nice but it's not "just over" the bridge AND the bridge is a pretty decent drive.
But if you are out for the day ...
My sis is coming down from Frederick for Raiders and Invaders weekend.... she's planning to bring fresh stuff with her for our weekend eatins so it's on the way for her so that is what makes it perfect.

creekman

Chesapeake Bounty has Swann Farm strawberries and you can't find any better or fresher berries. Grown near Lower Marlboro on the banks of the Patuxent River. You won't find any sweeter in Southern Maryland.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
what about blackberries or blueberries anyone??

I can't find any, maybe its too early still?

Blackberries are making now, haven't turned yet. Gonna be a bumper crop over in my neck of the woods and I found the mother lode while out walking the princess.