Lookin for a trainer

Miss Chexsan

Hi everyone I have been in the area for a short time and would love any help in locating a trainer for my mare. Also would love to talk to someone about maybe starting my young colt in halter shows this summer. Any information would be great. I am in Hollywood. Thanks in advance

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
If you go to the "search" on the bar above and click it then put in trainers you will pull up threads on trainers. This is a common topic for new people but one that is frequent. Same information. Good luck in your search.:buddies:

erinjograves

Hi everyone I have been in the area for a short time and would love any help in locating a trainer for my mare. Also would love to talk to someone about maybe starting my young colt in halter shows this summer. Any information would be great. I am in Hollywood. Thanks in advance

What exactly do you want the mare to do? Is she broke at all? How old is the colt? English or Western?

Miss Chexsan

My mare has been raising her colt she was started last year in a round pen but when I moved I haven't bought one. My colt is 10 months sweet and friendly. I ride western in Texas I would ride in ranch rodeos and team oenning competitions. There is a neighbor near me that would love to get her daughter riding my colt when he is ready because she thinks that he would be an awesome dressage horse when he is ready. She loves just watching him move. Mare is fat and happy been working her on a lunge line with saddle and long reining her. The colt thinks that it is fun to hold onto the lunge line and lunge with his momma. Thank you all for information.
I do have another question my son used to go to the play days in the town we where in down in Texas and was wondering if there is anything like that in this area?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
My mare has been raising her colt she was started last year in a round pen but when I moved I haven't bought one. My colt is 10 months sweet and friendly. I ride western in Texas I would ride in ranch rodeos and team oenning competitions. There is a neighbor near me that would love to get her daughter riding my colt when he is ready because she thinks that he would be an awesome dressage horse when he is ready. She loves just watching him move. Mare is fat and happy been working her on a lunge line with saddle and long reining her. The colt thinks that it is fun to hold onto the lunge line and lunge with his momma. Thank you all for information.
I do have another question my son used to go to the play days in the town we where in down in Texas and was wondering if there is anything like that in this area?

No we would knock the shiat out of our horses if they did that..:killingme

erinjograves

Ok hang on a sec. Are you saying that your mares 10 month old baby is still on its momma?????? Good Lord. That baby should have been weaned by 5 months. Get the baby off the mare!!!! The colt is going to be a handle if you dont make him behave, and trust me when I say that having the baby out while lunging the mom and letting him play with the line is not good!
Not trying to be nasty. Just trying to save you some heartache down the road. Get that Baby and Momma split, asap!

devinej

yep yep, you just scared off my training services with that story....gotta treat those babies like they are big horses...because they will be sooner than you know it and then it will be a REALLY BIG problem...

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Oh yeah!! Gelded too! Sorry I was caught up on the whole ten month baby on its momma thing!!! Gelding is a major plus!!! Thanks for adding that!!!! :buddies:

I hear ya, the 10 months and not weaned thing kinda makes ya cringe...but I would cringe at the thought of keeping one of my own on for 6 months.
"But its so cute when they try to mount thier mommies, they're just playing"
:sarcasm: :killingme

Last edited:

Miss Chexsan

Oh he is weaned. And no not gelded not planningn on it either. His breeding is outstanding high percentage foundation quarte and a big plus his is a champagne. That is why I was wanting to start him in halter this year as a yearling. Just because they are together doesn't mean a mare still lets a colt nurse. LOL she will not have any of that. she weaned him months ago on her own. The pony of my son is also like another momma and teaches him his manners. To me the worse thing in the world is to take a horse and seperate it from others. I have only one mare which makes only one baby. No others for him to grow up with and learn to be a horse. They are a herd with my mare the head and everyone including the goats do as she says. The colt already gives to preasure when the lead rope is slipped into his mouth leads, loads stands for blanketing, all around a handsome well mannered boy. his father is the same way.
Thanks again to all but I think that before you assume that just because a mare and colt are together means that the baby ain't weaned you might all want to ask. Mares are not dumb they wean colts on their own more than they are given credit for lol they do it in the wild heards, why would it be so hard to think that one wouldn't do it that is owned? WEll again thanks not alot advertised on thihs site for trainers but thanks for the info on the search box at the top.
And no about the whole mounting thing he much better behaived than that. And once again mares are not dumb animals. I know that my ideas might be different than what many do but I was raised to let animals raise their young and wean them and teach them essentials of being that animal the human aspect is ontop of the mother or herds teachings.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Oh he is weaned. And no not gelded not planningn on it either. His breeding is outstanding high percentage foundation quarte and a big plus his is a champagne. That is why I was wanting to start him in halter this year as a yearling. Just because they are together doesn't mean a mare still lets a colt nurse. LOL she will not have any of that. she weaned him months ago on her own. The pony of my son is also like another momma and teaches him his manners. To me the worse thing in the world is to take a horse and seperate it from others. I have only one mare which makes only one baby. No others for him to grow up with and learn to be a horse. They are a herd with my mare the head and everyone including the goats do as she says. The colt already gives to preasure when the lead rope is slipped into his mouth leads, loads stands for blanketing, all around a handsome well mannered boy. his father is the same way.
Thanks again to all but I think that before you assume that just because a mare and colt are together means that the baby ain't weaned you might all want to ask. Mares are not dumb they wean colts on their own more than they are given credit for lol they do it in the wild heards, why would it be so hard to think that one wouldn't do it that is owned? WEll again thanks not alot advertised on thihs site for trainers but thanks for the info on the search box at the top.
And no about the whole mounting thing he much better behaived than that. And once again mares are not dumb animals. I know that my ideas might be different than what many do but I was raised to let animals raise their young and wean them and teach them essentials of being that animal the human aspect is ontop of the mother or herds teachings.

He sounds handsome, do you have any pix of him?:howdy:

erinjograves

As much as I agree that everyone has thier own opinions, I am sure that everyone here will agree that just because you THINK he wont breed to his momma doesnt mean he wont. A stallion is a stallion! It doesnt matter if he is out with his momma, a sister, an aunt or a total stranger, a stallion will breed anything that lets him. Yes, mares in the wild wean their own babies, but just because we wean for them doesnt mean we seperate the babies from everyone else and keep him locked in a paddock with nothing but a bucket to drag across the paddock fences!!! When we wean, it is normally in between 4 and 5 months, and yes we watch the mares and they will tell you when they are ready. The babies go into a paddock next to other horses or with other horses, but not its mom. Yes, that is just the way we do things, and not everyone does things the same. But you are talking about a stud colt being out with a mare (doesnt matter if the mare is his momma) if she goes into heat, do you really think his brain is going to say "Oh Wait. Thats my Mom. That would be incest!" I dont think so. His brain will no longer be in is head, it will be down south. And to say that you have another horse teaching this baby his manners. Ok fine, he can teach this baby all the manners in the world on how to act in the herd, but what about when you take him out to work with him and he walks over you, that isnt on the other horse, thats on you. Horses are great teachers to other horses, but we have to be active in the learning and training process as well so they know that we are alpha and we deserve just as much respect as that alpha mare in the field does.
Again, I am not trying to be nasty. This is just my opinion. I did ask if he was weaned. Check my second post. QUOTE: "Ok hang on a sec. Are you saying that your mares 10 month old baby is still on its momma?????? "
I asked and then went on to voice my opinion. Again, sorry if I come off as rude. JMO :buddies:

fuglyhorse

I know of a couple good local trainers I can refer you to.

Are you looking to send your colt into training or are you looking for someone to come work with him on your farm?