Looking for a boarding barn

S

showstopper

Hi. I am new to the area and I am looking for a boarder barn in St. Mary's. I need top shelf care for my horse. I also want an indoor. I also need a trainer. I have been hearing alot of 'stuff' about various barns, and I want to avoid drama. Anyone have any suggestions? I am a jumper, but I am getting a little interested in dressage. I actually like flat work!!

fredsaid2

Barns w/ indoors in St. Mary's =

Holly Point Eq Center 301-994-1962

Flat Iron Farm 240-925-7430

Begin Again Farm (dressage, student boarding only) 301-475-5013

Wit & Folly 301-373-8441

I think there are a few in northern St. Mary's, hopefully those who know will chime in soon.

Good Luck!

barncat

showstopper said:
Hi. I am new to the area and I am looking for a boarder barn in St. Mary's. I need top shelf care for my horse. I also want an indoor. I also need a trainer. I have been hearing alot of 'stuff' about various barns, and I want to avoid drama. Anyone have any suggestions? I am a jumper, but I am getting a little interested in dressage. I actually like flat work!!

If you want to avoid drama you should look for a smaller boarding farm, I have never seen a large operation that does not have drama. How far south in St. Mary's are you looking? I boarded at Sam Hill Farm for a few years and it's a very quiet atmosphere, I accomplished a lot of training during my stay there because there was no drama. I shared the place with the owners and 3 other boarders and enjoyed my horse and training without the typical drama queens you find at just about every large boarding stable. Sam Hill is located in Charlotte Hall, right on the edge of Charles and St. Mary's counties.

They have an indoor and an outdoor dressage and jump area. When I was there the owner only turned out during the day, my only gripe because it was so hot in the summer sometimes. All pastures have a run-in shed and the stalls have fans and I found my guy stayed comfortable with those accomodations. Also, she didn't blanket so you have to take care of that stuff yourself or work with the other boarders. Otherwise she did everything else and my guy was very happy there.

ArabianHorse79

barncat said:
If you want to avoid drama you should look for a smaller boarding farm, I have never seen a large operation that does not have drama. How far south in St. Mary's are you looking? I boarded at Sam Hill Farm for a few years and it's a very quiet atmosphere, I accomplished a lot of training during my stay there because there was no drama. I shared the place with the owners and 3 other boarders and enjoyed my horse and training without the typical drama queens you find at just about every large boarding stable. Sam Hill is located in Charlotte Hall, right on the edge of Charles and St. Mary's counties.

They have an indoor and an outdoor dressage and jump area. When I was there the owner only turned out during the day, my only gripe because it was so hot in the summer sometimes. All pastures have a run-in shed and the stalls have fans and I found my guy stayed comfortable with those accomodations. Also, she didn't blanket so you have to take care of that stuff yourself or work with the other boarders. Otherwise she did everything else and my guy was very happy there.

Where exactly is Sam Hill Farm? I've heard a lot of good things about that farm. I heard that it is off of Trinity Church Road, but I'm not sure exactly where off of that road.....just curious. Thanks!

barncat

ArabianHorse79 said:
Where exactly is Sam Hill Farm? I've heard a lot of good things about that farm. I heard that it is off of Trinity Church Road, but I'm not sure exactly where off of that road.....just curious. Thanks!

You can't see the farm from the road and unless you know where the turn is you will miss it. From Rt 6 after you go up the big hill slow down and while making the turn look to the left, it's a dirt road and they have a small sign. Two big pastures are in the front and the indoor and barn is in the back.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Hey!!! Some of us "drama queens" just get thrown in the middle...helplessly. We can be cool to hang out with. There is nothing wrong with having a personality. HP is full anyway, until they build some more stalls.

Thomas99

I can see where this is going...First of all WELCOME! Its not so bad around here. I have traveled alot with my horses and being a guy- we see all kinds of women that get caught up with drama(all over the world)...Sadielady- remember it takes two to tango. I think that you will find drama wherever you go with horses or anything that people take to heart and care about. You just need not buy into it!

You will know that its the right fit for you and your horse when you meet the people/see the facility...remember this forum is full of opinions of different people and whats right for their horses and themselves. That was said out of respect for everyone! You be the judge!

Sadielady said:
Hey!!! Some of us "drama queens" just get thrown in the middle...helplessly. We can be cool to hang out with. There is nothing wrong with having a personality. HP is full anyway, until they build some more stalls.

barncat

Sadielady said:

I've been the drama queen before so I know it happens to everyone. But I noticed boarding at a smaller farm gave me fewer opportunities to be a drama queen and let me focus on my training :lmao:

Tazgirl

Thomas99 said:
I can see where this is going...First of all WELCOME! Its not so bad around here. I have traveled alot with my horses and being a guy- we see all kinds of women that get caught up with drama(all over the world)...Sadielady- remember it takes two to tango. I think that you will find drama wherever you go with horses or anything that people take to heart and care about. You just need not buy into it!

You will know that its the right fit for you and your horse when you meet the people/see the facility...remember this forum is full of opinions of different people and whats right for their horses and themselves. That was said out of respect for everyone! You be the judge!

Thomas 99 you are very correct the drama will leave you alone if you leave it alone. I don't want or need drama just want to enjoy my horse so I leave it alone.

TAZ :lalala:

ArabianHorse79

barncat said:
You can't see the farm from the road and unless you know where the turn is you will miss it. From Rt 6 after you go up the big hill slow down and while making the turn look to the left, it's a dirt road and they have a small sign. Two big pastures are in the front and the indoor and barn is in the back.

So it's off of Rt 6 and not Trinity Church Road? There are so many big hills I'm not really sure which one you are refering to....

barncat

ArabianHorse79 said:
So it's off of Rt 6 and not Trinity Church Road? There are so many big hills I'm not really sure which one you are refering to....

No, it's off Trinity Church, coming from Rt 6 you travel down Trinity Church and once you go up the big hill (right past the Amish farm) and then you start looking to the left for the dift road. There's a mailbox and I think a Washington Post box. It's hard to spot and I passed it many times when I first tried to find the place.

DQ2B

ArabianHorse79 said:

It is shortly after passing Trinity Episcopal Church, Dubois Rd. and a sharp right curve in Trinity Church Road.

barncat

DQ2B said:
It is shortly after passing Trinity Episcopal Church, Dubois Rd. and a sharp right curve in Trinity Church Road.

Thank you, those were the details I couldn't recall.

ArabianHorse79

barncat said:
Thank you, those were the details I couldn't recall.

Thanks DQ2B and barncat!! I pretty sure I know where you are talking about now!! I'm looking for a new place to board my horse and I live in that area...I really would like a smaller facility and that farm sounds great if they have any openings......

One more question...........I definitely know the general area you are talking about, but I remember this one dirt driveway that had a Pony Club sign at the end of the driveway...is that probably it? I think they are building a really BIG house in that general area I'm thinking of too. If not, I'll be driving that way later today; I'm going to look for it.

Last edited:

DQ2B

ArabianHorse79 said:
One more question...........I definitely know the general area you are talking about, but I remember this one dirt driveway that had a Pony Club sign at the end of the driveway...is that probably it? I think they are building a really BIG house in that general area I'm thinking of too. If not, I'll be driving that way later today; I'm going to look for it.

Can't say I've noticed whether or not the Hopkins have a Pony Club sign out there but Aileen is involved with de la Brooke Pony Club so I'm guessing "yes"
You'll know you have the right place if you turn into the drive and it's a loooong straight dirt drive with the indoor about half way back on the left, Barn further back also on left and house furthest back on right.

P

pinkpony

Are only looking in St. Mary's? There are nice ones in Calvert and PG, near Davidsonville.

S

showstopper

pinkpony said:
Are only looking in St. Mary's? There are nice ones in Calvert and PG, near Davidsonville.
I am looking in Upper Marlboro, thanks for the suggestion.