Looking for a horse

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
My co-worker wants to purchase a gelding, between the ages of 8 - 10. She does not want an appaloosa, thoroughbred or arabian. She wants a gentle breed like a Morgan or Quarterhorse. (I never heard that appy's were not gentle, but ?). Anyway, I am posting this for her to see if anyone has anything for sale that she might be interested in.

Cowgirl

BS Gal said:
My co-worker wants to purchase a gelding, between the ages of 8 - 10. She does not want an appaloosa, thoroughbred or arabian. She wants a gentle breed like a Morgan or Quarterhorse. (I never heard that appy's were not gentle, but ?). Anyway, I am posting this for her to see if anyone has anything for sale that she might be interested in.

:shrug: An appy is the same thing as a QH...just most times they have spots.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Cowgirl said:
I guess she doesn't want a horse with spots?

She says she just wants a "nice" horse.

K

Katie

BS Gal said:

What does she want to do with it? Is she going to trail ride it, show it, have it be a pet?

R

riderup

BS Gal said:
Arabs are gentle!!!!! Sensitive, but gentle. Dreamhorse has a several nice horses, what type of riding does she do?

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
BS Gal said:

Also check out www.equine.com. The type of horse your co-worker gets really depends on the level of riding and what they are looking to do with the horse. Are you talking Hunter Shows, Western Pleasure, Trail Riding, etc.?

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Cowgirl said:
No appys are stubbern, and usually, not allways people, they are not good for beginners. I mean if you like the breed, my 2 best friends do, its ur own opin., but all the 1's i met were not the best for a beginner, exept my best friends old appy, now he was good, but once in a while he acted like the appy he was :lmao: .

Cowgirl

flarenuphope said:
No appys are stubbern, and usually, not allways people, they are not good for beginners. I mean if you like the breed, my 2 best friends do, its ur own opin., but all the 1's i met were not the best for a beginner, exept my best friends old appy, now he was good, but once in a while he acted like the appy he was :lmao: .

Well, I mostly meant it as a joke.........

But all horses have different personalities...even within the breed.

Spicober

I agree the Appy I have is a loon.. Love her to death...But NOT for beginner.. She is very intelligent-But, will definitly TEST you. I see that in MOst -not all -Appys.
Did they say what type of riding they will be doing?? Have they rode before?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
riderup said:
Arabs are gentle!!!!! Sensitive, but gentle. Dreamhorse has a several nice horses, what type of riding does she do?
She wants a gentle horse she can just go out and ride whenever she feels like it, probably a couple times a week. She has her own place to keep it. She has had horses before. She wants something gentle, nice, that isn't gonna throw her. She'll ride it around her big acreage. Just a house horse if there is such a thing. She's a good person. She just wants a nice horse. She doesn't want to show it and she rides western or bareback.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
i say she go with the carosel kind if she's expecting to never have adventure from the back of a horse.

She hasn't met my Appys. We do parades and all sorts of things. I would trust my toddler granddaughter or my 5 y old grandsons on any one of mine. My leopard Ap mare has an Arab father :shocking: My sister's first horse ever was an Arab, and is still the best horse she owns. So it depends on the horse it's heritage and training or exposure not the gender or breed. A good horse is never a bad color. We all have preferences, but when one is an absolute beginner, color should be on the very bottom of the list of requirements. JMHO...

DQ2B

BS Gal said:
She wants a gentle horse she can just go out and ride whenever she feels like it, probably a couple times a week. She has her own place to keep it. She has had horses before. She wants something gentle, nice, that isn't gonna throw her. She'll ride it around her big acreage. Just a house horse if there is such a thing. She's a good person. She just wants a nice horse. She doesn't want to show it and she rides western or bareback.

She should buy for temperment then, not breed. I've seen plenty of hot morgans and calm Tb's. And I owned a crazy-as-a-loon QH years ago.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
flarenuphope said:

I learned to ride on an appy years ago, old guy name Crackerbarrel, and my first horse was an app, the best horse ever!!!! I'll agree, they can be stubborn, but you can get that in any breed. :howdy:

SouthernMdRocks

BS Gal said:

I do know of a buckskin QH who is an anyone can ride horse,, but he is older. Can't remember his age right now but I believe he is over 15. Great horse w/great personality.

SouthernMdRocks

happyappygirl said:
i say she go with the carosel kind if she's expecting to never have adventure from the back of a horse.

She hasn't met my Appys. We do parades and all sorts of things. I would trust my toddler granddaughter or my 5 y old grandsons on any one of mine. My leopard Ap mare has an Arab father :shocking: My sister's first horse ever was an Arab, and is still the best horse she owns. So it depends on the horse it's heritage and training or exposure not the gender or breed. A good horse is never a bad color. We all have preferences, but when one is an absolute beginner, color should be on the very bottom of the list of requirements. JMHO...

That is such a true statement!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
DQ2B said:
She should buy for temperment then, not breed. I've seen plenty of hot morgans and calm Tb's. And I owned a crazy-as-a-loon QH years ago.

I agree. I have a client with that AQHA Palomino mare for sale. She is super cool. Great by herself or with others...but a mare not a gelding.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
SouthernMdRocks said:
I learned to ride on an appy years ago, old guy name Crackerbarrel, and my first horse was an app, the best horse ever!!!! I'll agree, they can be stubborn, but you can get that in any breed. :howdy:

Joke:

Question: Why did the Indians ride Appy's into battle?

Answer: They wanted to make sure they were really pissed off by the time the got there!
:killingme
THAT WAS A JOKE! :razz: