Looking for a roofer...

dgates80

Land of the lost
It's not a crisis, but we need to start looking for a roofer for our house. I have no clue what a re- roof job costs either, so need to get some estimates and then figure out how to generate the money.

Who's good, who's cheap, who's fast... I imagine we will get to pick two.

Our house is going to be a PITA because it's a chalet style home with very steep slopes to the roof. You can't walk on it! And who knows what the condition of the underlay sheathing is either. The house was built in 1993 or so, so yep, more or less time for a roof, 20 years....

Thanks!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Roofer:

Attachments

• IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 121

mamatutu

mama to two
We used G H Clark when our roof was replaced because of Irene. State Farm was ok with their price. Also, Clark was voted Best in the recent Calvert's Best 2013. There is usually a coupon in the Valpak for Clark, too. 410-414-7060. Also, I see Mason Gott Roofing was a runner up. 410-414-5726.

It's not a crisis, but we need to start looking for a roofer for our house. I have no clue what a re- roof job costs either, so need to get some estimates and then figure out how to generate the money.

Who's good, who's cheap, who's fast... I imagine we will get to pick two.

Our house is going to be a PITA because it's a chalet style home with very steep slopes to the roof. You can't walk on it! And who knows what the condition of the underlay sheathing is either. The house was built in 1993 or so, so yep, more or less time for a roof, 20 years....

Thanks!

Can't help ya. I turned away 3 roofers because they were idiots, couldn't even give me the quote I asked for.

The guy who did finally wind up doing mine, well, sorry I had him do it. Worst roof job ever. I'll probably wind up re-doing it in a few years.

stckyfngrs

Can't help ya. I turned away 3 roofers because they were idiots, couldn't even give me the quote I asked for.

The guy who did finally wind up doing mine, well, sorry I had him do it. Worst roof job ever. I'll probably wind up re-doing it in a few years.

Who were the idiots and the one that finally did do your roof? Do not want to call them either. Thanks

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
When I lived in Lusby, I had the roof on my house replaced by Southern Style Builders. They've been in business for 30+ years and did excellent work on my house:

Address

825 Cove Point Rd
Lusby, MD 20657-4603

Phone

(410) 326-4755

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Down here, I think there is only one roofer in town, everyone uses the same company. I've seen them at 4 houses at 1 time during the cooler months, big company, I've seen several different trucks. They must be pretty good or the only one around. Sure wouldn't want to be them this time of year.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Down here, I think there is only one roofer in town, everyone uses the same company. I've seen them at 4 houses at 1 time during the cooler months, big company, I've seen several different trucks. They must be pretty good or the only one around. Sure wouldn't want to be them this time of year.

They probably are good. Multiple trucks and many jobs in one area are usually an indication of a good business.
When I was in FL, I remember how easy it was for fly-by-night /AKA rip off companies to form a business, rip unsuspecting citizens off, close company and start another one right up to do the same thing over and over.
It was unfortunate to see. It was especially hard since I owned a business that had to compete with the undercutting, scum sucking low lifes preying on these clueless folks that didn't know any better.
I worked outside year around most of my life. Being on the ground in southern FL was bad enough during the summer; being on a roof....UGH!

Bay_Kat

Tropical
They probably are good. Multiple trucks and many jobs in one area are usually an indication of a good business.
When I was in FL, I remember how easy it was for fly-by-night /AKA rip off companies to form a business, rip unsuspecting citizens off, close company and start another one right up to do the same thing over and over.
It was unfortunate to see. It was especially hard since I owned a business that had to compete with the undercutting, scum sucking low lifes preying on these clueless folks that didn't know any better.
I worked outside year around most of my life. Being on the ground in southern FL was bad enough during the summer; being on a roof....UGH!

I go by their building all the time, it's huge. They must be doing something right. According to their trucks they've been around for many, many years, family owned and operated.

baxter

Roofing by George Sucks!

[Spent top dollar, when the storm came and shingles flew off the roof I called them. "your covered by warranty" I`m told, just tarp the effected area until we can get there. When they arrived, I was told I voided the warranty by attaching the tarp,,,,,,,,,,Jackasses,,,,,,don't use this company!

fromchaptico

Roofing by George did my roof 4 years ago. They did a great job for thousands less than I had anticipated. They came highly recommended by friends/colleagues in both Charles and St. Mary's Counties.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I just had my roof and gutters replaced this past week/weekend. I used

Innovative Construction Services
Roofing, Siding, & Gutters Throughout Southern Maryland

The owner, Brian, came out and gave the estimate himself. He walked me through all the items, was very knowledgeable, and took time to answer all of my questions. All of the rain kept them from doing the job on the promised date, but that wasn't their fault, and he made sure to call me and explain the reason for delay and give me another anticipated date. I went with Innovative out of the couple estimates I got because the estimates were similar, but Innovative used Certainteed shingles. The roof and gutters look great! Can't wait to see how well the gutter guard stuff works!