Looking for Advice - GPS

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My TomTom does that there and at the new Rt5 exit on the beltway..

Worst mess I got myself in to thanks to obsolete GPS data was a late-night flight in to Manchester NH with a drive to Portsmouth ....the entire roadway network surrounding Manchester was "new" and none of what was in my GPS was correct. I drove around in circles for a good 20 minutes before I finally stopped at a convenience store and grabbed a look at a good old paper map.

Got stuck in "endless navigation loops" in DC a couple times too..thanks to some canal crossover bridge repairs.

I was working on a yacht down in the keys when the story came out about another yacht that had just beached itself hard on the Atlantic side...their autopilot was engaged and the next waypoint on their voyage table happened to be on the gulf side... ;-)

We've become slaves to our machines....LOL

nutz

Investigating a standalone GPS for my Slingshot. I've done some preliminary research, Garmin and TomTom are the front runners for quality.

Need something with a 6-8" screen and bluetooth. Not looking to spend a fortune. Looking for actual owner's input on things like ease of use, reliability, ability to see in bright light, etc...

I could get a whole new head unit to replace the Slingshot factory radio unit, but from what I've been reading, they are expensive and not always 100% compatible. Different wiring harness, doesn't work with the backup camera... So, just looking for a standalone unit to mount over the dashboard.

So if you have a unit like this and can offer helpful comments I'd appreciate it.

If money isn't a huge factor, take a look at the rand mcNally stuff. It comes in 7 and 8 inch versions, Bluetooth, dash cam, etc.. The overdryve stuff accepts voice command but not sure if they will over Bluetooth.
I've been using a variation of these for quite some time and recently upgraded to the overdryve 7 rv. Mine is mounted in my truck so not much comparison for sun factor.
https://store.randmcnally.com/automotive-electronics.html?sort=pricedesc&page=1

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
Worst mess I got myself in to thanks to obsolete GPS data was a late-night flight in to Manchester NH with a drive to Portsmouth ....the entire roadway network surrounding Manchester was "new" and none of what was in my GPS was correct. I drove around in circles for a good 20 minutes before I finally stopped at a convenience store and grabbed a look at a good old paper map.

Got stuck in "endless navigation loops" in DC a couple times too..thanks to some canal crossover bridge repairs.

I was working on a yacht down in the keys when the story came out about another yacht that had just beached itself hard on the Atlantic side...their autopilot was engaged and the next waypoint on their voyage table happened to be on the gulf side... ;-)

yep.. been there myself..

PeoplesElbow

I could not get out of Springfield with my GPS, everything is so close together by the time it told me to turn I had already passed my turn.

It did get my into East St Louis once by mistake too, damn over/under pass mixup.

Ok.... been mulling this over for a while. Decided to go with a cheap Android tablet that has GPS built in rather than a dedicated GPS. I have a 10" tablet my dad was using, and running Google Maps on it is exactly what I was looking for. But this one doesn't have GPS, so now I'm searching for a cheapo tablet or similar with GPS. Screen size can be up to 12".

nutz

Ok.... been mulling this over for a while. Decided to go with a cheap Android tablet that has GPS built in rather than a dedicated GPS. I have a 10" tablet my dad was using, and running Google Maps on it is exactly what I was looking for. But this one doesn't have GPS, so now I'm searching for a cheapo tablet or similar with GPS. Screen size can be up to 12".

Why not just add a GPS receiver to the one you have?

http://www.gps2003.com/gps-receiver.html

Why not just add a GPS receiver to the one you have?

http://www.gps2003.com/gps-receiver.html

Thought about it.... my tablet is running a very old version of Android and I'd like to be able to run other current apps. The extra external pieces aren't something I want to deal with, especially in the open cockpit, and with the external antenna it's not as portable. I think I'd rather invest in a newer device with integrated GPS.