Looking for advice

Firefly

I am going to buy a new car at the end of the year. I think I have it narrowed down to the Mazda 6 or the Honda Accord. Does any one have any info on either of these cars? Does anyone have any other car suggestions in this same price range? It seems as if everyone has an Accord, so I am leaning toward the Mazda.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I'd go for the Mazda 6, but that's just because I'm tiring of my Honda. The Accord is a good car though, very reliable, good gas mileage, etc. This is why "everyone" has one. :biggrin:

Firefly

That is the only reason I am even considering the Accord. My last purchase (Kia Sportage) was based on style not substance and I am paying for it now. So this time, I want to consider all of my options and get opinions from everyone I can.

C

czygvtwkr

If you want reliability go for Honda or Toyota, they are so much more reliable than any other car out there. If you like the 6 and the accord you should check out the new Corolla its finally a nice looking car.

Mazda is about middle of the road.

Having trouble with reliability of the Kia? I had one as a rental once and it was nice for a cheap car, but you could tell it was a cheap car.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Are you looking at the sedan or coupe for the Accord? Aesthetics play a big part for me when I'm looking at a car (although I don't scrimp on performance). I like the Mazda 6 Sports Sedan and the VW Jetta TDI. I really like the Honda Accord Coupe too (even though it doesn't come in the color that I want...gray), but I have a 2 year old and a Civic Coupe and it's getting to be a pain to lean in the back to do the car seat thing.

Have you gone on the companies' websites and "built your own" car? (It's one of my favorite pastimes :blushing:) At the end you get the full specs and prices, you can pretty much compare the hard facts, then take each for a test drive and see which you like best.

Firefly

According to Consumer Reports, the Mazda 6 is second to the tying Accord and Camary. I like 4 doors and looks are only secondary. My first car was a Sentra, I treated it terribly and it still ran for 10 years with no major problems. The clutch went out on my Kia, and it is starting to slip again. It has stranded me on the side of the road twice and I think that is 2 times too many.

I know the Mazda 626 had many problems, but I have not heard any about the 6. A co-worker had some type of repair made on her 1 year old accord, but that could be just her. And I don't remember what the problem was.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Nickel
... The Accord is a good car though, very reliable, good gas mileage, etc. This is why "everyone" has one. :biggrin:
Are you sure it isn't because the seats are Scotch-Gaurded and fully recline?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Kyle
Are you sure it isn't because the seats are Scotch-Gaurded and fully recline?

Actually, the fully reclining seats in my accord are leather...easy to wipe off... :blushing:

Firefly

Thank you all for the postings, I have alot to consider. I'm not going to rush into anything. I hear the end of the year is a good buying time.

newnickname

New Kia's are as good a car as any nowadays. Mines got 50,000 miles and no problems so far. I think when people buy cheap cars they might not take care of them as much, leading to a bad reputation. 100,000 mile warranty is not bad. Look at the new Optima. Pretty classy for a Kia. Just wish there were a dealership close by. The new Spectra's 2005 look pretty sharp. Check out www.edmunds.com before buying anything. It will show you the ratings for all similar models.

Firefly

My Kia is a 2000. The resale value is non-existent and I'm not the only one that has had problems with the Sportage clutch. I also had problems getting a clutch that I didn't have to get from the dealership. Plus, the alternator died on me, that defiantly is not my fault, but I will concede that I could take better care of this vehicle.

Firefly

I will do that. I'm looking for any advice. When I bought the Kia, I was unprepared and alone. They kept me for 6 hours and made me cry. This will not happen again.

C

czygvtwkr

Made you cry? I wouldnt have bought a car from anyone that made me cry. Well actually Im a guy I dont cry but you get the picture. I wouldnt have put up with the 6 hour thing either.

willie

Originally posted by Firefly
I will do that. I'm looking for any advice. When I bought the Kia, I was unprepared and alone. They kept me for 6 hours and made me cry. This will not happen again.
If someone held you hostage for 6 hours and made you cry, you need manly help. Call Buddy Lee, he'll be glad to assist.

Cletus_Vandam

Scion tc

Have you looked at the Scion tc? It was just released earlier this month and a friend of mine bought one. I saw it this weekend and it pretty impressive considering the price being less than $17k!!!

You ought to give this a look...

Firefly

They took my car keys, they kept leading me on and acted as if I was getting the car any minute. I didn't cry until the closing. I have also received therapy since then and am in a better state of mind. Like I said, I never had to do something like that alone before. I thought about going back just to get them to do all of the work to get me a new one and than say no, I changed my mind.

Are Scions any good? I know nothing about them. I knew nothing about the KIA either. I usually am not a name brand consumer, but I do learn from my mistakes.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Re: Scion tc

Originally posted by Cletus_Vandam
Have you looked at the Scion tc? It was just released earlier this month and a friend of mine bought one. I saw it this weekend and it pretty impressive considering the price being less than $17k!!!

You ought to give this a look...

That is a BAD ASS car. I haven't seen one on the road yet but I've seen ads in mags for it. Thanks for reminding me about it. I'm going to the website.

Firefly, go with the Accord. I use to have one and can't say enough about them. The Mazda is a nice car but if you're looking for reliability it hasn't been out long enough to have proven itself yet.

Nic honey I don't know what Honda Accord you're looking at but they do come in gray.