looking for miniature horse

justin

I live in Mechanicsville, MD and I am looking for a miniature horse, preferably a younger one, for my daughter. If anyone knows where I could get one, please let me know.
Thanks

ElliesMom

I know of a black and white paint mini named oreo, he is for a confident rider. His add is up at Stolzsfus (sp) tack store. (The amish one, not Elam I think)
My son and my friends son both ride him @ w/t/c but he needs a bit of work but a good boy over all and a very easy keeper

wineo

loving life
I live in Mechanicsville, MD and I am looking for a miniature horse, preferably a younger one, for my daughter. If anyone knows where I could get one, please let me know.
Thanks

Call Dickie Gatton, he's in Callaway and I think he does sell them. He also has the Brass Rail, best place to catch him.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!

Thanks

How old is your daughter and are you looking for one for your daughter to ride. I have a sweet paint mini but they pretty much have weight limits around 50 lbs give or take depending on size.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
How old is your daughter and are you looking for one for your daughter to ride. I have a sweet paint mini but they pretty much have weight limits around 50 lbs give or take depending on size.

I didn't know mini's could be ridden. I thought they were only used in a cart. That would be cool to see.

justin

she is only 16 months old now, but yes I would eventually want her to ride when she is old enough. I want to get one now so she can get used to it and learn to be comfortable with it. Is this a good idea?

Sparks

she is only 16 months old now, but yes I would eventually want her to ride when she is old enough. I want to get one now so she can get used to it and learn to be comfortable with it. Is this a good idea?

I'll probably get slammed for this but I think that's way too young. Do you plan to keep it at your home? Do you have experience caring for horses? It's a really big responsibility. I'd personally wait until the child is 4 or 5 to introduce them to horses, especially if this is new to you as well.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

Sparks has good points. A great way to introduce them to riding is through lessons at a good, safe barn. You and she would get to go out once or twice a week but you wouldn't have the day to day responsibility. Then you could see if her interest catches on and go from there.

eventrder

It came up in a Dreamhorse querry. My daughter wants a mini as a pet. I think I'll just 'borrow' the one from the barn. :lmao:

Yes that young but there is also nothing wrong with them developing a bond, and her having a pet, my daughter started riding when she was 2. From the time she was 2 it has been drilled into her head the responsibility that they are and if she wants her ponies she has to do the work, If her stalls are not clean when I get home from work her ponies dont eat or come into the barn!!! I know it sounds harsh but it has worked for the past 8 years!!! She also knows that if her grades slip or she gets into any trouble the ponies are the first thing to go! If the love is there than the work is not a problem, it comes with the package! Us horse people are crazy we like the work! She does not compete like I do so her ponies are really just pets, she rides around the farm but nothing major and she would not have it anyother way, she is 10 and very responsible, Ponies, Band, Soccer, she knows that the ponies come first (well right after the homework) :yahoo:

SouthernMdRocks

I didn't know mini's could be ridden. I thought they were only used in a cart. That would be cool to see.

Good Monday MGH!!!:howdy:
Driving is usually what most people use them for but for a small child, my paint mini will tolerate being ridden. He's a real sport when he wants to be...:lmao:

SouthernMdRocks

It came up in a Dreamhorse querry. My daughter wants a mini as a pet. I think I'll just 'borrow' the one from the barn. :lmao:

They are great pets and easy keepers but as we all know they need exactly the same things horses need. I think they are great for a child to learn the basics of caring for a horse. They are so much less intimidating for them. Although some minis can be real pissers!!!

SouthernMdRocks

Yes that young but there is also nothing wrong with them developing a bond, and her having a pet, my daughter started riding when she was 2. From the time she was 2 it has been drilled into her head the responsibility that they are and if she wants her ponies she has to do the work, If her stalls are not clean when I get home from work her ponies dont eat or come into the barn!!! I know it sounds harsh but it has worked for the past 8 years!!! She also knows that if her grades slip or she gets into any trouble the ponies are the first thing to go! If the love is there than the work is not a problem, it comes with the package! Us horse people are crazy we like the work! She does not compete like I do so her ponies are really just pets, she rides around the farm but nothing major and she would not have it anyother way, she is 10 and very responsible, Ponies, Band, Soccer, she knows that the ponies come first (well right after the homework) :yahoo:

What you say makes perfect sense except for not feeding the ponies if she doesn't have their stalls clean... JMO
Why should the ponies do without food.
:shrug:
Well on the second hand it worked for you and your daughter, that's great. In my case, my kids ponies would be hungry because I can seldom get them to clean stalls..I just threaten to sell them if they don't start helping.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

They are great pets and easy keepers but as we all know they need exactly the same things horses need. I think they are great for a child to learn the basics of caring for a horse. They are so much less intimidating for them. Although some minis can be real pissers!!!

The one at the barn is just a hairball on legs. Very old, very sweet except when the big boys need to be put in their place. She's not afraid to show them a little attitude! :smile:

ElliesMom

thats one thing a lot of minis are great for is a bit of attitude, Oreo would not be a good fit for what you are describing, hes a bit people shy and definately for a child that is confident both on the ground and in the saddle as he likes kids more than us big ones.

eventrder

What you say makes perfect sense except for not feeding the ponies if she doesn't have their stalls clean... JMO
Why should the ponies do without food.
:shrug:
Well on the second hand it worked for you and your daughter, that's great. In my case, my kids ponies would be hungry because I can seldom get them to clean stalls..I just threaten to sell them if they don't start helping.

I would never let them starve, like I said it has worked so far, she has never doubted me! haha!! She thinks that if it does not get done than her ponies will be cold and hungry! :whistle:

SouthernMdRocks

I would never let them starve, like I said it has worked so far, she has never doubted me! haha!! She thinks that if it does not get done than her ponies will be cold and hungry! :whistle:

Well that's good that she really cares. My peeps need to be enlightened!!!:lmao:
See I just threatened a sale again tonight....I don't think they are taking me seriously. Nice show pony soon to be for sale...:whistle: