Looking to move from NJ to Maryland...

nickt1862

Looking to get out of Northern New Jersey and exploring/entertaining the idea of moving to Maryland.

I'm seeking/thinking of moving into the Glen Burnie vicinity, can anyone tell me how good an area it is there?

Or is there another area in Maryland that is better and is not far from water.

Or am I making a mistake in my thinking of making Maryland my new home state?

Any other points you can make on the cost of living would be great.

Thanks so very much for your anticipated cooperation:).

Nick

mainman

Set Trippin
We are all in souther maryland,(most of us that is) although I'm sure someone on here has lived in GB at one time or another and can help you out alittle bit...

nickt1862

Originally posted by mainman
We are all in souther maryland,(most of us that is) although I'm sure someone on here has lived in GB at one time or another and can help you out alittle bit...

Thanks Mainman - hopefully I'll get feedback whether it's good or bad:)

Thanks for responding.

nickt1862

Originally posted by Hot N Bothered
I've been through Glen Burnie. I generally keep driving. Any particular reason you are looking there?

Because it being on the skirts (to a point) of Baltimore and it seems it's not too far from water. Maybe I need an education on Maryland it seems:) Is there better areas and why is Glen Burnie bad?

C

czygvtwkr

Well thats kind of like moving from the Cess Pool to the Sewer in my opinion.

Hot N Bothered

Originally posted by nickt1862
Because it being on the skirts (to a point) of Baltimore and it seems it's not too far from water. Maybe I need an education on Maryland it seems:) Is there better areas and why is Glen Burnie bad?

Well, I honestly haven't spent too much time there, just passing through, but it's kinda like a surburban slum. Lots of run down businesses and homes that look like they were once nice places, but not some place anyone wants to live anymore, if they can help it.

Do you have a job lined up in Baltimore? Is that why you want to be near there? If so, the northern suburbs are better and there are rivers with water access.

nickt1862

Originally posted by czygvtwkr
Well thats kind of like moving from the Cess Pool to the Sewer in my opinion.

I take it that you visited or lived in my area of NJ at one time or another:)

Is the northern part of Maryland better??

nickt1862

Well, I honestly haven't spent too much time there, just passing through, but it's kinda like a surburban slum. Lots of run down businesses and homes that look like they were once nice places, but not some place anyone wants to live anymore, if they can help it.

Do you have a job lined up in Baltimore? Is that why you want to be near there? If so, the northern suburbs are better and there are rivers with water access.

Not so much that I have any job lined up in Baltimore as much as wanting to get out of where I am and exploring Maryland as a option. I don't like paying 1K/month on a 1 bedroom apartment up here in NJ.

So the northern burbs are better and probably cheaper to live. Are you speaking like in the Bel Air area maybe?

Hot N Bothered

I take it that you visited or lived in my area of NJ at one time or another:)

Is the northern part of Maryland better??
If you want to be near Baltimore, stick to the Northern suburbs. If you want to be near DC, either go very far north or very far south (where we are)

If for some reason, you need access to both cities, go Howard County, but be prepared to give up your first born. The cost of living is high.

C

czygvtwkr

Well 1k a month rent isn't too bad really.

Personally if you just want to move away from Jersey to a place that has water access I would move to Hampton Virginia.

Maryland is a welfare state with high taxes and a lot of dirtbags that take your tax dollars.

The northern part of maryland has Baltimore and DC....need I say more? Baltimore has the highest rate of venerial disease of any large city in the US and DC has atleast one murder a night.

nickt1862

If you want to be near Baltimore, stick to the Northern suburbs. If you want to be near DC, either go very far north or very far south (where we are)

If for some reason, you need access to both cities, go Howard County, but be prepared to give up your first born. The cost of living is high.

Thanks for the informative information.

I wonder how the commuting to work is living in Maryland especially residing either very south where you are or being in the northern burbs.

Howard county - I don't think I want to give up my paycheck.
I don't have any first born to give as I've never been married/no children - lol!!

Hot N Bothered

Not so much that I have any job lined up in Baltimore as much as wanting to get out of where I am and exploring Maryland as a option. I don't like paying 1K/month on a 1 bedroom apartment up here in NJ.

So the northern burbs are better and probably cheaper to live. Are you speaking like in the Bel Air area maybe?

Bel Air is a bit of a hike. It's very rural, no public transportation. It's no worse than going from Southern Maryland to DC, but most people who live in the Bel Air area work around Aberdeen. Most don't commute to Baltimore.

I was thinking more along the lines of Timonium. At least there is a light rail train from there into the city. Or really, any points along I-83/York Road. The expressway doesn't really get congested until you get south of Timonium, and you can always hop off there onto the train if it gets to much.

What kind of a job are you looking for. That could make a difference between Baltimore, DC or elsewhere.

nickt1862

Originally posted by czygvtwkr
Well 1k a month rent isn't too bad really.

Personally if you just want to move away from Jersey to a place that has water access I would move to Hampton Virginia.

Maryland is a welfare state with high taxes and a lot of dirtbags that take your tax dollars.

The northern part of maryland has Baltimore and DC....need I say more? Baltimore has the highest rate of venerial disease of any large city in the US and DC has atleast one murder a night.

Virginia would be too far away from immediate family I have here in NJ.

I've been to DC and "how lovely" it is outside the goverment buildings area. So by what you're saying Baltimore is quite similar.

Venerial disease - YIKES!!!! No Thanks!!!
Murders - unfortunately they are part of any major city in this country, of course there's better and worse cities.

Taxes - well as long as there's politicians - stealing peoples money will always exist.

nickt1862

Bel Air is a bit of a hike. It's very rural, no public transportation. It's no worse than going from Southern Maryland to DC, but most people who live in the Bel Air area work around Aberdeen. Most don't commute to Baltimore.

I was thinking more along the lines of Timonium. At least there is a light rail train from there into the city. Or really, any points along I-83/York Road. The expressway doesn't really get congested until you get south of Timonium, and you can always hop off there onto the train if it gets to much.

What kind of a job are you looking for. That could make a difference between Baltimore, DC or elsewhere.

I'm in the Accounting field doing Credit, Collections, Accounts Payable/Receivable, Payroll, Bookkeeping.

Timonium - I gotta look into that. I have to check out the rent prices there as well as what type of activity is going on there.
It seems that public transportation is the way to go in Maryland of what I can see. Maybe Bel Air might be too quiet for me from what you've told me:)

Hot N Bothered

I'm in the Accounting field doing Credit, Collections, Accounts Payable/Receivable, Payroll, Bookkeeping.

Timonium - I gotta look into that. I have to check out the rent prices there as well as what type of activity is going on there.
It seems that public transportation is the way to go in Maryland of what I can see. Maybe Bel Air might be too quiet for me from what you've told me:)
It's been 7-8 years since I lived in that area, but when I lived in Timonium, I paid about $400 for a one bedroom apartment and $450 when I moved into a 2 bedroom in the same complex. Before that, I lived in the extreme northern part of Baltimore city itself and when I moved, they were re-rented my 2 bedroom apt for about $600

nickt1862

It's been 7-8 years since I lived in that area, but when I lived in Timonium, I paid about $400 for a one bedroom apartment and $450 when I moved into a 2 bedroom in the same complex. Before that, I lived in the extreme northern part of Baltimore city itself and when I moved, they were re-rented my 2 bedroom apt for about $600

That's interesting! Now I gotta see where the price levels have reached now in 2004. If it's too much it might be a dealbreaker. I guess I'll check it out before getting my hopes up too high. I definately don't want to live in a "slum" area as Glen Burnie is.

Thanks so much again:)