"lost control of the vehicle..."

Tech

That would be "too fast for conditions"

Wasn't till condition changed.
Driving one winter in Vertmont while it was raining. While going up a hill the car started sliding backwards till the car on its own did a 180 so could drive back down. First time I had a car stall that way.

PeoplesElbow

Ive lost control of a race car on a dirt track before and slid maybe a foot sideways on a patch of ice, but never enough to wreck.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I remember being in my teens and hearing this as a soon to be new driver. Even then I had a hard time connecting the dots. Decades later I have never had this experience while driving. Not that I ever want to.

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe it got excited while being handled... Premature Ignition. :sshrug:

I remember being in my teens and hearing this as a soon to be new driver. Even then I had a hard time connecting the dots. Decades later I have never had this experience while driving. Not that I ever want to.

Just to nail down this connection. Ive seen raod signs that say Virginia is for Lovers. Might have thought that was directional in nature....

I've "lost control" a number of times, but always because I wanted to and forced it. Lots of fun to do 360s, and the ol' fast-reverse-spin-the-wheel-180-slam-it-in-forward-and-keep-going-without-stopping. Once I understood how the car will react in different conditions, and how and why the wheels break loose, I never lost control while driving normally.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've "lost control" a number of times, but always because I wanted to and forced it. Lots of fun to do 360s, and the ol' fast-reverse-spin-the-wheel-180-slam-it-in-forward-and-keep-going-without-stopping. Once I understood how the car will react in different conditions, and how and why the wheels break loose, I never lost control while driving normally.

Funny how that works....

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
One could say that if they overcomp'd or swerved, that they were never in control to begin with, driving beyond their conditions.
You should of been a race car driver.
STUD.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I've seen the term "lost control of the vehicle" in a ridiculous amount of local news articles the past few years. Am I the only one who has never lost control of their vehicle?
Have I lost control of my vehicle? Yes
Did I recover control? Yes
Was it the cause of an accident? No - haven't been involved in a collision where I was at fault or lost control. Was hit by a deer and hit in the rear end.

But I am an evil speeder, so what do you expect. I don't know anyone who has driven in the Northeastern part of the country who hasn't lost control on snow and ice, but it's about how you recover. Same goes for hydroplaning, unexpected mechanical failures, etc. If you know how to recover, you don't end up in a collision with another vehicle or solid object.
Same goes for avoiding people who are clearly oblivious, I don't know how many times I've stopped at a green light because I sensed a vehicle with the red wasn't going to stop.