Lost hiker survived weeks in woods

Bonehead

This is a real question, because I'm not a hiker:

How do you get lost just going off the trail briefly to pee? I would be very conscious of that trail and my lack of ability, and be very careful to stay right there and orient myself to be able to get back on the trail.

Bonehead, how did you get lost? Specifically?

Went looking for a spring marked on my map, I was very low on water and it was hot.

This is a real question, because I'm not a hiker:

How do you get lost just going off the trail briefly to pee? I would be very conscious of that trail and my lack of ability, and be very careful to stay right there and orient myself to be able to get back on the trail.

Bonehead, how did you get lost? Specifically?
She went missing the year I was out there, though I never met her, some people I hiked with had met and spent some time with her, very sad story. I got myself turned around out there for an hour or so, but using a little tracking and nav skills, I was back on trail pretty quickly. Like Bonehead said, theres white blazes painted on the trees and rocks every little way, if you havent seen one for a while chances are you got off trail. Some places that might not be too bad. In Maine, during the summer, with no knowledge of how to use a compass and having very little outdoor skills, its got potential to turn ugly. You get a little turned around, keep going thinking its the right way, but you end up in the complete opposite direction. Now youre really scared so you set up camp. Try for higher ground the next day and set up camp. Stay there becasue youve heard to stay put if lost, when you should really be effecting your own rescue as long as you physically can. End up too weak to try to get out once you realize nobody is finding you. She had a compass she didnt know how to use and a GPS Spot locator she left in a hotel room. She would have been ok is she had stayed on trail, or known how to use her equipment. She was doing a hike supported by her husband, and I think she just got complacent. A preventable tragedy, but still heartbreaking. RIP Inchworm. http://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/...achian-trail-didnt-know-how-to-use-a-compass/