For or against the lotter as a constitutional item

• For the Charter Amendment

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • Against the Charter Amendment

Votes: 44 58.7%

• Total voters

bcp

In My Opinion
Curious to see how this will go next month.

remember, the democrats thought it was really a bad idea when Ehrlich suggsted it, but as soon as O'Malley took office, it became a brilliant piece of legislature.

QUESTION 2
Constitutional Amendment
Authorizing Video Lottery Terminals (Slot
Machines) to Fund Education
Authorizes the State to issue up to five video lottery
licenses for the primary purpose of raising revenue for
education of children in public schools, prekindergarten
through grade 12, public school construction and
improvements, and construction of capital projects at
community colleges and higher education institutions.
No more than a total number of 15,000 video lottery
terminals may be authorized in the State, and only one
license may be issued for each specified location in
Anne Arundel, Cecil, Worcester, and Allegany Counties,
and Baltimore City. Any additional forms or expansion
of commercial gaming in Maryland is prohibited, unless
approved by a voter referendum.
(Enacts new Article XIX of the Maryland Constitution)

Last edited:

Hessian

Ctotp

Creative Tax On The Poor.

ALSO: when has dumping funding on schools produced remarkable results?
Answer?
NEVER.

The Bureacracy of school will absorb the funding and you will continue to see declining scores on National tests because....

Parents have left values & work ethic up to amoral, humanistic schools. The most they can do is promote some lame "Character-building" program that still doesn't answer the question "WHY?"

Why do I have to be truthful, respect other people's property, obey those in authority over me, be kind, have manners?????
I am a product of random evolution and Darwin says that only the best adapted will succeed and thus...it is always ME FIRST!!!

As Hessian said, it's another tax. However, it's pretty desirable, as far as taxes go, because of two intrinsic characteristics:

(1) It's voluntary.

(2) It's regressive. That might not be inherently advantageous; but in light of a tax system that is otherwise very progressive, it is. Anything that even slightly reduces the progressive nature of our tax structure is a step in the right direction.

Personally, I think slots represent a terrible value for the entertainment gambling dollar. Baccarat, blackjack and craps provide much more bang for the buck. But, if people want to play slots, I say, more power to them.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Curious to see how this will go next month.

remember, the democrats thought it was really a bad idea when Ehrlich suggsted it, but as soon as O'Malley took office, it became a brilliant piece of legislature.
Which is why I'm voting against it.

I'm all for this issue in that is makes money for the state. I'm against it when the Democrats or any party play hard ball and then turn around and do the same exact bill.

Solja_Boy

Which is why I'm voting against it.

I'm all for this issue in that is makes money for the state. I'm against it when the Democrats or any party play hard ball and then turn around and do the same exact bill.

So you where you originally for the bill? Now that the Democarats are sponsoring it your voting against it?

If I understand this you are voting against something that could help the state and that you agree with out of spite.

GSXR_MOE

Adding Diversity to SOMD
I Say bring them on... Hell a lot people from Maryland are going to W. VA, Delware and PA to gamble; we might as well keep the money here. If people Choose to gamble, that is their decision.

Solja_Boy

I'm sure most of the slot machines will go in at horse tracks where people are already gambleing. I really don;t see what the problem is. Is there really a big difference is somone gamles away there money on slot machine instead of a horse.

BuddyLee

Football addict
So you where you originally for the bill? Now that the Democarats are sponsoring it your voting against it?

If I understand this you are voting against something that could help the state and that you agree with out of spite.
Exactly.

I'm giving them a taste of their own medicine.

Solja_Boy

Exactly.

That's just stupid. You are just feeding into this rediculous two party political system that prevents a lot of good bills from passing.

Have you every though about voting based on the merits of the bill and not who sponsored it?

BuddyLee

Football addict
Have you every though about voting based on the merits of the bill and not who sponsored it?
Almost every time.

I put that into consideration the first time. However, the Maryland Democratic party defeated the bill out of spite thus allowed the ridiculous nature you speak of.

I won't vote for the same exact bill for this party because they defeated the same exact bill to spite Ehrlich. They even used this issue in their campaign to defeat Ehrlich and Steele. You gonna' allow these hypocritical punks to get away with this just because it was the right thing to do in the last election cycle?

Beta84

They're out to get us
Exactly.

if it hurts the state that you live in economically, doesn't that sorta give you a taste of your own medicine as well?

I don't know the history of this stuff, but is it possible that this bill has changed drastically since it was first proposed? Or maybe O'Malley convinced the Dems who were against it? :shrug:

BuddyLee

Football addict
if it hurts the state that you live in economically, doesn't that sorta give you a taste of your own medicine as well?
I'll survive.

They ordered their economic candle-lit dinner and now they'll have to pay for it washing dishes the hard way.

oldman

Lobster Land
If it's those machines that issue paper tickets I would not participate in playing. If I put a quarter in, pull the arm and get back two or none I just view that as fun and entertaining. Either way one loses money in the long run, at least usually.

RPMDAD

I Say bring them on... Hell a lot people from Maryland are going to W. VA, Delware and PA to gamble; we might as well keep the money here. If people Choose to gamble, that is their decision.

:yeahthat:
agree 100% why let the other states get the revenue. I personally will not use them, i have worked in the computer business for 32 years and i don't play machines for fun. Believe in gambling but would rather go to the track and bet on the ponies, or play blackjack, poker or roulette.

MMDad

Lem Putt
When they said they were going to make slots legal, I was hoping it meant they were going to allow brothels. :ohwell:

W

Wenchy

I'm voting against because they have selected certain counties. Allow each county and I'm game, but this is BS.

I want to be able to go to a local Elk's, Legion etc and play my slots.

Please enlighten me if I am not reading this correctly.

PsyOps

Pixelated
That's just stupid. You are just feeding into this rediculous two party political system that prevents a lot of good bills from passing.

You're exhibiting the same principles the democrats exhibited. None.

bcp

In My Opinion
this is where the dems are going to get the idiots to vote for the slots.

slots can be allowed without a vote. not needed, However, in order to put slots in the Maryland Constitution, a vote is needed.

once that is in the Constitution, it becomes the private playtoy of the politicians, who can have them, who cant, who makes the money, who does not.

slots do not belong as an amendment. there is no right to play slots.