• For the Charter Amendment

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • Against the Charter Amendment

Votes: 44 58.7%

• Total voters

msqtech

Citizen
slots

The advertisements for it make me feel like they think I lack intelligence.

Money spent by marylanders out of state is not lost revenue for the state.

If we built a vegas community here it wouldn't change Vegas... Ask New Jersey.

They took a state park away from the citizens of western maryland and made a golf resort out of it that loses the citizens $1000000 a year for us. Now to make up for that bad decision they want to turn it into a slot haven to join the prisons they built there. They need to return the park to being a place for families not gambling. And if the Racetracks can't turn a profit as the business they are in then close them. As they already have done. Don't make the citizens of maryland pay for bad business with more bad business. We shouldnt be welfare for any businessman including the Sports Teams. None of the gambling revenue has reduced my taxes and none of the additional money I pay in taxes has been used wisely.

You wouldn't give an alcoholic more liquor and you shouldn't give politicians more money to spend unwisely.

They will just offset revenues already being used for schools fire and police that they are saying will benefit.

In the end the loser here is the responsible maryland taxpayer.

covekat

The advertisements for it make me feel like they think I lack intelligence.

Money spent by marylanders out of state is not lost revenue for the state.

If we built a vegas community here it wouldn't change Vegas... Ask New Jersey.

They took a state park away from the citizens of western maryland and made a golf resort out of it that loses the citizens $1000000 a year for us. Now to make up for that bad decision they want to turn it into a slot haven to join the prisons they built there. They need to return the park to being a place for families not gambling. And if the Racetracks can't turn a profit as the business they are in then close them. As they already have done. Don't make the citizens of maryland pay for bad business with more bad business. We shouldnt be welfare for any businessman including the Sports Teams. None of the gambling revenue has reduced my taxes and none of the additional money I pay in taxes has been used wisely.

You wouldn't give an alcoholic more liquor and you shouldn't give politicians more money to spend unwisely.

They will just offset revenues already being used for schools fire and police that they are saying will benefit.

In the end the loser here is the responsible maryland taxpayer.

Very nice, over 100,000 jobs will be lost if they shut down racetracks in Maryland, not to mention farms that will be sold, etc...

How do you figure that the money that Marylanders spend out of state is not money lost to Maryland?

msqtech

Citizen
loss of revenue argument

Very nice, over 100,000 jobs will be lost if they shut down racetracks in Maryland, not to mention farms that will be sold, etc...

How do you figure that the money that Marylanders spend out of state is not money lost to Maryland?

Money spent on travel by maryland residents wont be recouped in maryland as they do not travel expressly for slots and that money is their entertainment outside the state

more likely money will come from other sources in the state from residents that dont travel and families will be hurt by the loss of revenue that the people who gamble on slots remove from their upkeep.

Cowgirl

Money spent on travel by maryland residents wont be recouped in maryland as they do not travel expressly for slots and that money is their entertainment outside the state

more likely money will come from other sources in the state from residents that dont travel and families will be hurt by the loss of revenue that the people who gamble on slots remove from their upkeep.

Sure they do.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I work in schools and have done so in different states and for more years than I'll admit to in public (most of them here in Maryland). More money will not fix the problems.
More money for the schools :lol:
Read it again
The profit from slots wil replace not add to current school funding
Untill the slots cover the cost of the machines, the salaries of the political appointees and any other cost that can be dreamed up there is NO PROFIT
and NO income

Most of the buggy industry went away with the popularity of the horseless carrige. Many obsolete industries have dissappeared.
I do not believe that 100,000 people are employed by race tracks in MD.

Last edited:

ironintestines

Non-Premo
I'm voting no on #2

I find it deplorable when the government uses heart warming sales-pitches like how it will benefit education..

What's in the Maryland Constitution that needs amending for slot machines??

Nothing..

Other than once it's in there, then & only then, will it pave the way for the selected ones to decide who does what & where.. Not you or I..

How's that for what is referred to as "The Free State"??

This amendment has nothing to do w/ slot machines. It just makes it look that way..

covekat

More money for the schools :lol:
Read it again
The profit from slots wil replace not add to current school funding
Untill the slots cover the cost of the machines, the salaries of the political appointees and any other cost that can be dreamed up there is NO PROFIT
and NO income

Most of the buggy industry went away with the popularity of the horseless carrige. Many obsolete industries have dissappeared.
I do not believe that 100,000 people are employed by race tracks in MD.

There are horsemen, grooms, hotwalkers, tellers, wait staff in the Clubhouse's and Grandstands, groundskeepers, janitorial staff, office personal, etc...

Then throw in the people that are employed by the farms scattered around Md... blacksmiths, vets, farmers that grow hay and straw... just check out the facts, they are out there.

Here is the breakdown on where the money will go:

The legislation also provides that the revenues
generated by video lottery terminal gaming activities are to be distributed as follows: a minimum of 48.5% to the Education Trust Fund; no more than 33% to the video lottery operating licensees; 7% to horse racing purses (not to exceed $100,000,000 annually); 5.5% in local impact grants; 2.5% to the racetrack facility renewal account, not to exceed $40,000,000 annually (for the first 8 years only); 2% to the lottery agency for costs; and 1.5% to the Small, Minority, and Women- Owned Businesses Account.

Last edited: