Lowering Blood Pressure in Middle-Aged Women Reduc

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"ScienceDaily (Jan. 24, 2011) — Large numbers of middle-aged women worldwide could reduce their risk of developing cardiovascular disease (stroke, heart attack and heart failure) and its complications by lowering their blood pressure, researchers report in Hypertension: Journal of the American Heart Association.

Researchers found that high systolic blood pressure (the pressure when the heart contracts) is a powerful risk factor for cardiovascular complications in middle-aged and older women all over the world."

Lowering blood pressure in middle-aged women reduces heart disease risk

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
A big DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It really is meaningful research. Used to be everybody did studies and research on reducing cardiovascular risk factors in men. When they found something that helped, they assumed (wrongly it turns out) the same things would work for women. Gender-specific research is relatively new and finds some really interesting differences between men and women (duh!).

In this study, the systolic (higher number) pressure was studied. In the past the diastolic (lower number) pressure was the differentiating factor.

An interesting read on differences between male and female humans is "Why Men Never Remember and Women Never Forget."

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Well that does sound reasonable since there are gender differences.

It really is meaningful research. Used to be everybody did studies and research on reducing cardiovascular risk factors in men. When they found something that helped, they assumed (wrongly it turns out) the same things would work for women. Gender-specific research is relatively new and finds some really interesting differences between men and women (duh!).

In this study, the systolic (higher number) pressure was studied. In the past the diastolic (lower number) pressure was the differentiating factor.

An interesting read on differences between male and female humans is "Why Men Never Remember and Women Never Forget."

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I did a quick search online and came across this article from a few years ago ....

"Many women suffer from a form of heart disease that is fundamentally different from the type that strikes most men and is easily missed by standard tests, researchers reported yesterday.

Instead of developing obvious blockages in the arteries supplying blood to the heart, these women accumulate plaque more evenly inside the major arteries and in smaller blood vessels, the researchers found. In other cases, their arteries fail to expand properly or go into spasm, often at times of physical or emotional stress. "

A Gender Difference In Heart Disease - washingtonpost.com

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
:yay:

I am a huge fan of cardio/aerobic exercise!! :banana:

UN-medicated, my BP is less than 120/70. Usually somewhere around 115-120 over 60-70. And I'll be 52 soon. :dance:

Some people just have lower blood pressure. Mine has always been 110-70 to 80/60...since I was a 22 or so.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Thanks Lenny, I'll look for it.

You laugh, and I know it's a wtf kind of study, but Lenny's right. For year's little to no research has been done in regards to alot of women's health issues. The medical community seemed to think women only had babies, had breast cancer and got ostepeorisis. The more research that is done in regards to women's health, even if it appears common sense, helps to the level the playing field in regards to treatment and preventions. It also helps educate doctors and the general public.

I know a wonderful senior lady who had a heart attack. When she tells the story about it, she describes typical heart attack warning signs, but she says, well I didn't think I was having a heart attack, cause I'm a woman. For years, women have been told they don't have heart attacks, only men do. We are younger so we are like FU, but think of the older folks who don't have that mentality.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
You laugh, and I know it's a wtf kind of study, but Lenny's right. For year's little to no research has been done in regards to alot of women's health issues.

I'm laughing because it's a big duh that high blood pressure is a risk for anyone. I've never heard someone say "women don't have heart attacks." That's just silly. Why wouldn't we?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'm laughing because it's a big duh that high blood pressure is a risk for anyone. I've never heard someone say "women don't have heart attacks." That's just silly. Why wouldn't we?

For years, prior to us becoming adults, and even into our early adulthood, heart attacks were considered a man's health issue. :shrug: Not saying it is correct, just the way it was. Again, this is probably because little to no research was done in regards to what was deemed women's health. And then if research was done for women's health it was for mostly for the ob/gyn field.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican

For years, prior to us becoming adults, and even into our early adulthood, heart attacks were considered a man's health issue. Not saying it is correct, just the way it was. Again, this is probably because little to no research was done in regards to what was deemed women's health. And then if research was done for women's health it was for mostly for the ob/gyn field.

What's worse is that women have probably had more gallbladder surgery for what turned out to be heart attacks than was necessary. When a woman has a heart attack, it doesn't present like when a man has a heart attack (Hope they take that into consideration when Chastity/Chasbo Bono comes into the E.R.). The symptoms are different, the signs on electrocardiogram are different and the treatments are different.

As I said in my earlier post, this study looked at the impact of systolic blood pressure on future heart attacks. Earlier studies looked at the impact of diastolic blood pressure on future cardiovascular disease. Both are different, each indicates a different kind of pathology in the body.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Some people just have lower blood pressure. Mine has always been 110-70 to 80/60...since I was a 22 or so.

:yay: If you have naturally low blood pressure without aerobic or cardio exercising, that's great!

But aerobic and cardio exercise is still a highly recommended way to reduce blood pressure, in middle aged women. And they can reduce it significantly by exercise if it's caught early. (of course, they should do other things, too)

I don't know that my lower blood pressure is a result of regular aerobic exercise or not. It's always been on the lower side of normal. But since I have a history of hypertension, heart disease & strokes in my family, I exercise regularly(among other things) to reduce my risk factors - now that I'm middle-aged.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
:yay: If you have naturally low blood pressure without aerobic or cardio exercising, that's great!

But aerobic and cardio exercise is still a highly recommended way to reduce blood pressure, in middle aged women. And they can reduce it significantly by exercise if it's caught early. (of course, they should do other things, too)

I don't know that my lower blood pressure is a result of regular aerobic exercise or not. It's always been on the lower side of normal. But since I have a history of hypertension, heart disease & strokes in my family, I exercise regularly(among other things) to reduce my risk factors - now that I'm middle-aged.

Middle-age in this case being defined as 'that very wide expanse of years over 20-years' right?

:buddies:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Middle-age in this case being defined as 'that very wide expanse of years over 20-years' right?

:buddies:

I guess!! But I'm at the very lower end of that, of course. :biggrin:

edit: wait - do you mean the middle age range being an expanse of 20 years? :confused:

At any rate, I don't *feel middle-aged. I'm just going by the numbers they were referring to in the article. :yay:

Last edited:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I guess!! But I'm at the very lower end of that, of course. :biggrin:

edit: wait - do you mean the middle age range being an expanse of 20 years? :confused:

At any rate, I don't *feel middle-aged. I'm just going by the numbers they were referring to in the article. :yay:

I have officially been middle-aged for 13 years but my body and my mind don't agree. My wife, on the other hand,...........