Lowes scheduling

glhs837

Power with Control
So I know a young man who applied for and was hired to work there. He was quite clear during the interview. 30 hours a week is the max. "I have another job and I'm taking classes, so its not possible for me to work more than 30 hours". They agreed and hired him. Went through indoc, during which he heard overheard schedulers taling about scheduling people for times they had already blocked out as being unavailable, and saying "Well, too bad".

He then was presented with his schedule, both weeks over 30 hours. He talked to them about it this morning, and they told him he would need to work these sorts of hours through January as they were short staffed. He told them "Sorry, this isnt the deal I signed up for" and walked. Breaking your deal with a brand new employee is no way to start.

I might have found the issue with being short staffed :)

warneckutz

So I know a young man who applied for and was hired to work there. He was quite clear during the interview. 30 hours a week is the max. "I have another job and I'm taking classes, so its not possible for me to work more than 30 hours". They agreed and hired him. Went through indoc, during which he heard overheard schedulers taling about scheduling people for times they had already blocked out as being unavailable, and saying "Well, too bad".

He then was presented with his schedule, both weeks over 30 hours. He talked to them about it this morning, and they told him he would need to work these sorts of hours through January as they were short staffed. He told them "Sorry, this isnt the deal I signed up for" and walked. Breaking your deal with a brand new employee is no way to start.

Is this a local Lowe's store or a delivery company they contract out to? Not that it matters, both are garbage.

TPD

the poor dad
Scheduling is in the top 3 tasks I dislike about owning my own business and I only have 5 employees to worry about. I schedule for the entire month at one time - helps employees better plan their lives in my opinion. And once you come to work, I don't send you home because it's a slow day, unless of course you want to go. I spend almost an hour the last Saturday of the month doing the schedule for the next month - reviewing the requests for days needed off and scheduling accordingly. My employees always get the days they request off. Sometimes that means I have to work but that's what I have to do to keep happy employees. The other thing I allow and encourage, that I hear some retail establishments do not, is if the employee has something pop up that they need a day off that they are scheduled for, they can trade days with another employee or just ask a co-worker to fill in for them - leave me out of it! 98% of the time this works out ok.

No way I would want to schedule for 25+ employees in a retail or fast food establishment! I understand why they have rules and stick to them, otherwise employees will take advantage of you. And the other thing to consider is in a large company like Lowes, the hiring person probably never talks to the scheduling person.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My ex was a mid-level manager at a very busy McDonalds (college town) and hated scheduling....which was one of her assigned duties.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Scheduling is in the top 3 tasks I dislike about owning my own business and I only have 5 employees to worry about. I schedule for the entire month at one time - helps employees better plan their lives in my opinion. And once you come to work, I don't send you home because it's a slow day, unless of course you want to go. I spend almost an hour the last Saturday of the month doing the schedule for the next month - reviewing the requests for days needed off and scheduling accordingly. My employees always get the days they request off. Sometimes that means I have to work but that's what I have to do to keep happy employees. The other thing I allow and encourage, that I hear some retail establishments do not, is if the employee has something pop up that they need a day off that they are scheduled for, they can trade days with another employee or just ask a co-worker to fill in for them - leave me out of it! 98% of the time this works out ok.

No way I would want to schedule for 25+ employees in a retail or fast food establishment! I understand why they have rules and stick to them, otherwise employees will take advantage of you. And the other thing to consider is in a large company like Lowes, the hiring person probably never talks to the scheduling person.
The Patina Lady has been given the task of employee scheduling by the owner of the store she works at. Unfortunately, the owner has not told the rest of the employees this. Every day seems to be a scheduling sh!t show.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I can just imagine what those Greatest Generation pricks I worked for would have said if I, or anyone else, had said "I can only work these days/hours".

black dog

Free America
I can just imagine what those Greatest Generation pricks I worked for would have said if I, or anyone else, had said "I can only work these days/hours".
Some are single parents
Some are in school
Some are part time for other reasons at home
Some only work 17 hours a week so they don't loose State Benefits...
One of the big reasons so many at Walmart are PT is school and dont want to loose State Benefits.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Good for him. Their short staffing isn't his problem, and school must come first. Especially when he told them in the interview that 30 hours was his max and they agreed to that by hiring him.

When you're short staffed and hurting for employees, "Well too bad" is the wrong answer. No, Lowes, too bad for you because now you get to be REALLY short staffed.

They don't hire the brightest people to manage these places.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
He told them "Sorry, this isn't the deal I signed up for" and walked.
Am unsurprised.

Lowe's has gone down hill in many ways since the new CEO took over in July 2018 and started kowtowing to the altar of Shareholder Value. Most everything gone 3rd party except the in store sales and (some) support staff to cut costs. I expect they will start using temp to hire agencies pretty soon for that.

I've been with the company the better part of 20 years. Each change in the top level of corporate management, it's like a new company with the same name has been created. I think I'm on the 5th one named Lowe's now.

black dog

Free America
Am unsurprised.

Lowe's has gone down hill in many ways since the new CEO took over in July 2018 and started kowtowing to the altar of Shareholder Value. Most everything gone 3rd party except the in store sales and (some) support staff to cut costs. I expect they will start using temp to hire agencies pretty soon for that.

I've been with the company the better part of 20 years. Each change in the top level of corporate management, it's like a new company with the same name has been created. I think I'm on the 5th one named Lowe's now.

Personally, I believe Lowes went down the shitter 20 years ago when they took the 2% over cost for buying away from employees.

glhs837

Power with Control

That's one funny aspect is that he told them I'm good with any days or shift hours you want, but I cant exceed 30 hours.

Some are single parents
Some are in school
Some are part time for other reasons at home
Some only work 17 hours a week so they don't loose State Benefits...
One of the big reasons so many at Walmart are PT is school and dont want to loose State Benefits.

Thats a couple things he heard.

1. "I know this single lady only gets her daughter once a month, and that she has a standing request in to not work those days. I missed it, but I'm not going to bother fixing it".
  2. "I know this person has requested to not work this particular shift but too bad for them".

And lastly, if the hiring person cannot pass along and enforce simple stuff like this, then its in the shitter it all goes.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Personally, I believe Lowes went down the shitter 20 years ago when they took the 2% over cost for buying away from employees.
When I started 19 years ago, it was still 10% over cost. That went away in 2012 when both Mr. Tillman and Mr. Stone were gone.

black dog

Free America
When I started 19 years ago, it was still 10% over cost. That went away in 2012 when both Mr. Tillman and Mr. Stone were gone.
I believe she left Lowes at the end of 88 just before we moved back to Maryland. I will text her and ask.

Edit.
She doesn't remember...

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

That is what happened to my oldest. Was going to HS and we told him that he wasn't able to work more than 20 hrs/wk. Not only did his job schedule him to work more than 20 hrs/wk but at times, he wasn't getting home until midnight on a school night. And his boss made him his personal servant. When he wasn't working, the boss would call and ask him to do errands for him or make my son pick him up and take him somewhere. :rolleyes: