Lyme

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
If you dont get medical attention, you will start to hurt everywhere. My muscles ached even with meds. Good luck

stylin

If you dont get medical attention, you will start to hurt everywhere. My muscles ached even with meds. Good luck

My dog brought in so many seed ticks that there were so many...we couldn't count them all. My daughter and I are both bitten everywhere..it has been a little less than 2 weeks. No rashes but we have been bitten. No symptoms but is it to early to test for lymes. I am a mess thinking about this...to think my 8 year old could have this disease. Dog is now not allowed out unless tied to his leash.

dn0121

Treat your lawn and use the monthly treatments too. I know they are not 100% but they do work.

Im still amazed to see so many people with this disease around here. Its horrible and frightening.

LoveHerSmiles

Stylin

Stylin, a friend of mine has a dog that came in the other day covered in "sea ticks," they were literally everywhere! The vet told her to put a flea collar on her and it would solve it. I recommend frontline or some sort of monthly flea treatment for the dog also. I don't think the sea ticks transmit the Lyme Disease....hopefully!

I know alot of folks have Lyme Disease and I was wondering what your symptoms were besides the bullseye rash?

Thank you :)

My syptoms were having a hard time committing things to memory. Having a hard time controlling my emotions. Severe pain in my hips, shoulder, and leg pain. Having a hard time concentrating and focusing on things is another of my syptoms. I also had weird chest pain and balance problems.
My husband got to where he was having memory problems. He would forget that he had done something. No memory of the event at all. He also was anxious but didn't know what was causing the agitation. This in addition to the shoulder pain and hip pain etc.
My sister was much worse. She had the disease for at least a year or two by the time it was diagnosed. I think it had been longer than that.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
first noticable symtoms: one day my left arm went numb. about an hour later my tongue went numb. a little after that my vision went completely black for a few seconds and when it came back everything was blurry. (I was also always tired and stressed but I have 2 kids and a FT job so that was not a concern for me at the time)

soon later: started having terrible memory issues. started forgeting words. difficulty thinking. things I have been doing at my job for years suddenly became confusing.

MRI showed 4 or 5 spots in my brain. Dr. said they will always be there even after medicine but the brain just detours.

This was all August 2008. I started medicine immediately and as soon as I started the medicine the joint pain started. Sharp, stabbing pains in fingers, toes and wrists.

Been off of meds about 4 months I think and have been doing ok.

hotcoffee

I know alot of folks have Lyme Disease and I was wondering what your symptoms were besides the bullseye rash?

Thank you :)

Please don't rely on the bullseye rash for diagnosis.... not all doctors agree that the bullseye rash should even be included.....

Consider this... what if the rash appears somewhere that it goes unseen.... like in the hair or behind a knee....

:coffee::coffee:

MRCA

I had lymes as a child. My parents had no idea that I even had it until the vet diagnosed the dog with it and said to get me checked. Sure enough..I had it. Stage 4. The thing with lymes it that once you have it you will always test positive for it in your bloodwork. The only symptoms I remember is my joints aching really bad.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I thought I had the Flu. Then the symptoms intensified. Once I was given antibiotics evrything went away rapidly. Felt fine in under a week.

ShyGirl

Lyme Disease symptoms

Lyme Disease symptoms can imitate other diseases and can be misdiagnosed.

EARLY LOCALIZED DISEASE

Signs and symptoms of Early Local Lyme Disease often starts with flu-like feelings of headache, stiff neck, fever, muscle aches, and fatigue. About 60% of light-skinned patients notice a unique enlarging rash, referred to as erythema migrans (EM), days to weeks after the bite. On dark-skinned people, this rash resembles a bruise.

The rash may appear within a day of the bite or as late as a month later. This rash may start as a small, reddish bump about one-half inch in diameter. It may be slightly raised or flat. It soon expands outward, often leaving a clearing (normal flesh color) in the center. It can enlarge to the size of a thumb-print or cover a persons back.

To be considered local disease the rash must be at the tick bite site with no other major organ system involvement. A rash occurring at other than the bite site in an indication of Disseminated Lyme Disease.

Don't confuse a local reaction to a tick bite, with signs of infection. A small inflamed skin bump or discoloration that develops within hours of a bite and over the next day or two is not likely to be due to infection - but rather a local reaction to the disruption of the skin.

DISSEMINATED LYME DISEASE

Some people do not notice these early indicators of infection. Early manifestations usually disappear, and disseminated (other organ system involvement) infection may occur. General symptoms alone do not indicate Lyme disease.

GENERAL
Profound fatigue, severe headache, fever(s), severe muscle aches/pain.

BRAIN
Nerve conduction defects (weakness/paralysis of limbs, loss of reflexes, tingling sensations of the extremities - peripheral neuropathy), severe headaches, stiff neck, meningitis, cranial nerve involvement (e.g. change in smell/taste; difficulty chewing, swallowing, or speaking; hoarseness or vocal cord problems; facial paralysis - Bell's palsy; dizziness/fainting; drooping shoulders; inability to turn head; light or sound sensitivity; change in hearing; deviation of eyeball [wandering or lazy eye], drooping eyelid), stroke, abnormal brain waves or seizures, sleep disorders, cognitive changes (memory problems, difficulty in word finding, confusion, decreased concentration, problems with numbers) and, behavioral changes (depression, personality changes).

Other psychiatric manifestations that have been reported in the scientific literature include: panic attacks; disorientation; hallucinations; extreme agitation; impulsive violence, manic, or obsessive behavior; paranoia; schiziphrenic-like states, dementia, and eating disorders. Several patients have committed suicide.

EYES
Vision changes, including blindness, retinal damage, optic atrophy, red eye, conjunctivitis, "spots" before eyes, inflammation of various parts of the eye, pain, double vision.

SKIN
Rash not at the bite site (EM) - This skin discoloration varies in size and shape; usually has rings of varying shades, but can be uniformly discolored; may be hot to the touch or itch; ranges in color from reddish to purple to bruised-looking; and can be necrotic (crusty/oozy). The rash may develop a bull's-eye rash or target look. The shape my be circular, oval, triangular, or a long-thin ragged line.

Other disseminated skin problems include:

lymphocytoma, which is a benign nodule or tumor, and
acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans (ACA) which is discoloration/degeneration usually of the hands or feet.

HEART and BLOOD VESSELS
Irregular beats, heart block, myocarditis, chest pain, vasculitis.

JOINTS
Pain - intermittent or chronic, usually not symmetrical; sometimes swelling; TMJ-like pain in jaw.

LIVER
Mild liver function abnormalities.

LUNGS
Difficulty breathing, pneumonia.

MUSCLE
Pain, inflammation, cramps, loss of tone.

STOMACH and INTESTINES
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, anorexia.

SPLEEN
Tenderness, enlargement.

PREGNANCY
Miscarriage, premature birth, stillbirth, and neonatal deaths (rare). Congenital LD has been described in medical literature.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Lyme Disease symptoms can imitate other diseases and can be misdiagnosed.

EARLY LOCALIZED DISEASE

Signs and symptoms of Early Local Lyme Disease often starts with flu-like feelings of headache, stiff neck, fever, muscle aches, and fatigue. About 60% of light-skinned patients notice a unique enlarging rash, referred to as erythema migrans (EM), days to weeks after the bite. On dark-skinned people, this rash resembles a bruise.

Congenital LD has been described in medical literature.

Wow! They miss anything?
:shocked::shocked:

vbailey

vbailey
Just got back from having blood taken for the western blot test...I am having a really bad day today feeling really tired and having a hard time trying to focus on things at work..Said my blood presure was high and did EKG.....weird....

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I will be tested for lymes on Wed as I have recently been bitten. Does anybody think this test will show anything? The bites are fresh from 2 weeks ago.

Purplefox

I AM an enigma
I will be tested for lymes on Wed as I have recently been bitten. Does anybody think this test will show anything? The bites are fresh from 2 weeks ago.

A spot test should show any tick borne disease at this early stage.

On a side note: *****I AM VERY PROUD OF ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE GONE AND HAD THE WESTERN BLOT TEST DONE!!!***** :yahoo:

C

CalvertNewbie

On a side note: *****I AM VERY PROUD OF ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE GONE AND HAD THE WESTERN BLOT TEST DONE!!!***** :yahoo:

My doc advised that they always do the western blot test when testing for lyme. Thanks for the heads up, though. Just got my results back. Negative, thank God!

I still can't believe what all of you are going through from a tiny little tick bite. The ticks were horrible this year. Honestly, I never realized how badly Lyme can affect everyone's lives or how serious it really could be. I wish everyone the best!

lisa8439

Add me to the list of lymies... they ran two tests on me - the blot and the other one that just says positive or negative.. that one was positive and the blot was positive too. My primary care doctor admittedly knows nothing about lyme and was able to get me into the infectious disease doctor in about 5 days for treatment.

They ran IgG things and IgM things - both were positive, the IgG had 3 positive brackets or whatever they are called, out of about 8 I guess? - I can't remember the numbers of the brackets, they are each assigned a 'number' - anyone know what that is for? The IgM blot test was positive with two of the three brackets.

Apparently this will be 'cured' with two weeks of doxycycline... 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night. This is according to the infectious disease doctor I saw today (St. Mary's... I won't say names but I was NOT impressed...) It didn't seem to me like she really knew much about lyme herself - will two weeks worth of antibiotics really get rid of this? I've been feeling crappy for quite a while now - my most prominent symptom is the brain fog/memory problems and the extreme fatigue.

I don't even remember being bitten by a tick in the past - I am not an outdoorsy person, we have no pets... we don't live in a very rural area and we don't live around any woodsy areas. If I can get this mess, anyone can get it - I've been putting off the test for ages now thinking there was no way it could possibly be lyme with no memory of a tick bite and really no possibility of being bitten in my mind.

To those of you that have been encouraging the testing - thank you. I actually read a thread about lyme on here and thought that I might as well get tested - I never thought it would be positive, not in a million years.

So will these antibiotics really work or should I just go ahead and make an appointment now with a more knowledgeable lyme doc? Are there any in St. Mary's??