Lymes Disease Pony

aceyswan

My pony was just diagnosed with Lymes. She had what appeared to be laminitis, and she hadn't had any strange nutritional changes.... but had been bitten by 2 ticks that both weren't seen (up under skin high inside legs) and they both swelled up.

Any advice on the medication available? I need to start right now something, but read some not so good things about the doxy antibiotic and how it messes up their guts...

Has anyone tried the Ledum or the Nosode route?

Thanks for any input!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
My pony was just diagnosed with Lymes. She had what appeared to be laminitis, and she hadn't had any strange nutritional changes.... but had been bitten by 2 ticks that both weren't seen (up under skin high inside legs) and they both swelled up.

Any advice on the medication available? I need to start right now something, but read some not so good things about the doxy antibiotic and how it messes up their guts...

Has anyone tried the Ledum or the Nosode route?

Thanks for any input!

probiotics

DQ2B

Doxy is pretty much the Rx but you can do tetracycline by i.v. which would require an equine hospital stay. Most horses do just fine on the doxy, Pro-bi which is a pre and probiotic can be given. I have a pony on the doxy right now, she is doing fine. Just an FYI, did you have x-rays taken? We did have some mild rotation in onefront hoof and while it's not common with lyme I have had numerous people tell me to be suspicious of the lyme causing it as she came back normal on the insulin resistance.

aceyswan

Got the xrays of the fronts and she said that: The hoof wall is parallel to P3. There still may have a bit of the distal displacement (the slipping in the hoof we spoke about) but her thick sole depth kept that from being too much of a problem...

So no rotation it looks like...

Did you give the pro-bio before starting the Doxy? And did you get it from your vet or online? The price is a lot different to buy tablets and crush vs. vet's supply... just trying to save $ if I can after the 1st vet bill!

Last edited:

highnote

Did you give the pro-bio before starting the Doxy? And did you get it from your vet or online? The price is a lot different to buy tablets and crush vs. vet's supply... just trying to save $ if I can after the 1st vet bill!

Doxy and pro-bios (not sure if pro-bio is something different)?. I ordered my pro-bios from revival animal health (online). Big tub of powdered. Skip the gel/paste, those end up being a lot more expensive. Got my doxy from the vet, price wasn't all that bad, just had to open up a ton of capsules every day.

aceyswan

Please don't hack my thread this way... You said one word "Probiotics" ...that really wasn't helpful? I mean elaborate if you want a reply!

No one will now post helpful information because they don't want to bother with your dribble or vying for attention here.... one of the reasons I RARELY POST to this site! Some smart ass has to step in and try and turn the attention on themselves... I have posted before only to have this happen before...

Once again trying to get real advice from knowledgeable horse people who have treated it... and hopefully helping others that have the same type of question.

If you have some useful information, please post it.. what you said was not at all helpful to me.... What Probiotics did you use? etc.... thanks...

PrepH4U

Please don't hack my thread this way... You said one word "Probiotics" ...that really wasn't helpful? I mean elaborate if you want a reply!

No one will now post helpful information because they don't want to bother with your dribble or vying for attention here.... one of the reasons I RARELY POST to this site! Some smart ass has to step in and try and turn the attention on themselves... I have posted before only to have this happen before...

Once again trying to get real advice from knowledgeable horse people who have treated it... and hopefully helping others that have the same type of question.

If you have some useful information, please post it.. what you said was not at all helpful to me.... What Probiotics did you use? etc.... thanks...

I believe he did have useful info about using probiotics... you didn't mention anything but antibiotics in your post. So to me that was a useful answer and a starting point. :shrug:
So really your post to him was uncalled for... you could have asked him what kind yourself instead of ASSUMING he did not know about horse care. Did you ever think that maybe his wife has a horse and he helps take care of it... hmmmm
Sorry about your pony.

Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I believe he did have useful info about using probiotics... you didn't mention anything but antibiotics in your post. So to me that was a useful answer and a starting point. :shrug:
So really your post to him was uncalled for... you could have asked him what kind yourself instead of ASSUMING he did not know about horse care. Did you ever think that maybe his wife has a horse and he helps take care of it... hmmmm

nice edit, next time dowhat do not try and help her until she gets down off her high horse! :lol:

:yahoo:

Moved_south

Can you elaborate on how you came to the Lymes diagnosis?? I have had a dog that tested pos for lymes, but never a horse. Doxy to treat the dog but concerned now about my horses. What kind of symptoms did you see that caused you to consult a vet? Thanks in advance-- worried about my larger four legged kids now!

aceyswan

enough dribble

It was uncalled for, so he said Probiotics, I haven't a clue who ANY of these people are.. I am looking for useful indepth information... perhaps the whole treatment from finish to end? Something other than one word...

He's trying to draw the attention on him obviously... I want concrete information.. And you are right, I don't want to know about those, I've had horses for 25 years... I want to know about the antibiotics used...

My post was not uncalled for... He started whining... no one paying attention to him?

Enough, go help your buddy hyjack someone else's post. I am done with this place once again trying to get real good advice....

aceyswan

Keep posting btw... I won't be back to read it so you two or three will be chatting with yourselves!

I'll post on a real horse site from now on...

Sorry about your pony.

PrepH4U

Keep posting btw... I won't be back to read it so you two or three will be chatting with yourselves!

I'll post on a real horse site from now on...
:drama:
Well if you have had horses for 25 years you should have known to begin with to go to a real horse site. :imjustsayin:
Oh you forgot the slam!